It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Crate GT212, used at Metro Music & Sound here in Richmond VA
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:40 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Check this out... I stumbled upon this used amp (just listed) on Metro Music & Sound's website here in Richmond, VA.

https://metrosound.com/shop?olsPage=pro ... -amplifier

So as you can see, I got curious and called them up. Not to be all weird or anything, but Metro Music & Sound isn't like a top name, top quality, guitar dealership, etc... type of music store. They are sort of a strange type of combination of a music pawn shop and a used gear music store. Nothing wrong with that... Nothing wrong... But like, if you are in the market for a genuine, used, 1968 Fender Super Reverb, they have it. Some of their stuff is dusty, crackly pots, etc... but is still serviceable. They have an on-site electrician/repairman reworking amps, PA's, pickups, etc... So the place isn't half bad.

Anyway, as seen in the image below, I didn't bring my beloved '95 Strat, but I brought along my Gretsch 5122 and plugged into the Crate GT212 amp. 120 watts of power coming out of two 12's! Holy Mother of God!! The amp was in perfect working order, and they only want $129 for it (Christmas sale - the guy said, "Eh... call it an even $100 if you want to make a deal").

My impression: The amp screams "80's Hair Metal". The knobs on the far left are "Solo". Middle knobs are "Rhythm". Right knobs are "Clean". The footswitch is a little odd to work, but the middle button is the channel selector (Clean vs Rhythm). The left button toggles the gain & high gain (Rhythm vs Solo). The right button toggles the Reverb on and off. The clean tone was nice and clean, but VERY beefy sounding. Waaaay too much bass for my liking. The Rhythm channel was just like playing clean but yet stomping on an Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal. Nice, plush, crunchy overdrive. What blew me away was the Solo channel. Vicious, snarling, screaming heavy metal tone, scooped mids, and made my Gretsch howl with feedback!

Anyone ever played through a Crate amp? This amp is a serious beast and aimed towards the Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, crowd. Yow...

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Crate GT212, used at Metro Music & Sound here in Richmon
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:03 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Sorry for the blurry photo with my smartphone. I must have bobbled it or something.

Also, no I didn't buy the amp. My Frontman 65r is still going good, and is fine for what I need. If I was in a solid working band, playing large venues, then yes... I might consider that Crate amp (100 watts out of two 12's).

Post subject: Re: Crate GT212, used at Metro Music & Sound here in Richmon
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:43 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I remember Crate amps quite well. Yeah, I know what you mean with the hair metal thing, since that seemed to be a brand that would be utilized in that area, at least on the local, suburban level back then. :P They used to have a 440 watt bass head that I thought was pretty cool for the time, that I used to play around with in the local music shop I'd frequent back then, that was a dealer. I even borrowed a guitarist's Crate guitar head (pretty much the head version of that amp you posted) to play my bass through, when my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro crapped out on me, and he had it as a spare, so I could still rehearse with them. Probably not the most ideal bass amp, but it worked, and I could still play. I guess they were pretty much around the same price range as Peavey was back then. I thought they were OK. They always seemed to work when they needed to, and I don't remember them really sounding crappy, or anything like that.