It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Post subject: Progressive Rock Bands
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:21 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Hello, I am wanting badly to hear some new music.I listen to alot of dream theater,porcupine tree and to some extent yes.This is my favorite genre and I've grown tired with what I have.Any suggestions??Thanks!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Progressive Rock Bands
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:25 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

you might like Anathema or for sometimes heavier Opeth. Nevermore comes to mind also but they are heavy to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anathema_(band)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opeth

Last edited by somebizarredude on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Hi, yes opeth is a favorite too of mine.I will check the other tho

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:32 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Anathema is like the softer Opeth songs like on the Damnation album and nevermore is fast paced with petrucci type leads and interesting vocals. but they are a bit more thrash and drop tuned. the lead guitarist for nevermore Jeff Loomis has some great solo stuff also.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I don't know how old you are, but if you became aware of progressive music through the new prog bands, then you have the huge, rich, dazzling, immaculate heritage that the form has to offer. All for you to explore..

Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Rush - 2112. Yes - Tales From Topographical Oceans. King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King. Jethro Tull - Aqualung. Supertramp - Crime of the Century. Moody Blues - Days of Future Past. Rick Wakeman - The 6 Wives of Henry 8th. Emerson Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends..

Asia, Camel, PFM, Van Der Graf Generator, Barclay James Harvest.. The list is endless. 8)

Should keep you busy while you wait for those latest Dream Theatre and Spocks Brain albums..

If you're old enough to remember these from the first time around, then I have nothing to teach you! :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:41 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I like most of those already mentioned from the late 60s early 70s and a few more not yet listed.
Queensryche is a favorite from the 90s.
Trillion (originally "Whisper") were a great prog-rock band from the Chicago area in the late 70s/early 80s. Youtube has some of their songs from their first album "Trillion".
The bands line-up at that time was:

Dennis Frederiksen - Lead Vocals, Bells
Frank Barbalace - Guitar, Vocals
Patrick Leonard - Piano, Keyboards
Ron Anaman - Bass, Vocals
Bill Wilkins - Drums, Percussion

You will probably recognize some of those names, lol.
Their second album "Clear Approach" had a change at vocals and keyboards and there are a few of those songs on youtube as well.
Here is a new song from an upcoming album, when I talked with Frank the guitarist a few months ago he was excited about the new material. I am excited for them too.

Trillion ~ In My Blood (from "Trillion III" future album!)
http://youtu.be/6KTpfIGPUzQ

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Some good suggestions here already. There's another band I used to listen from time to time from Germany called Grobschnitt. They really changed their sound quite dramatically over the years but if you want ProgRock you could try out their stuff from the mid to late 70's. By the early 80's they had morphed into a bubble-gum band so you might want to give that era a miss.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sign up at Pandora.com. Then enter the songs and artists you like into your page and Pandora goes and finds more music similar to what you've entered.

Check it out.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:44 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Midlake,Rogue Wave or you could go back in time to some prog rock that sounds as fresh today as it did in the late 60's and early 70's-it was that far ahead of its time. Groups like Audience with their albums House on The Hill,and Lunch.Gryphon with Queen's Pawn to Red Gryphon Four.Traffic,White Noise- an Electrical Storm.Mahavishnu Orchestra,Billy Cobham-The Funky Thide of Sings,Pentangle and of course King Crimson-Court of The Crimson King,Emerson Lake and Palmer-Lucky Man,Tarkus,Pictures at an Exhibition.Orpheus.

'65 Strat,65 Mustang,65 Jaguar,4 more Strats,3 vintage Vox guitars,5 Vox amps,'69 Bassman with a '68 2-15 Bassman cab,36 guitars total-15asst'd amps total,2 vintage '60s Hammond organs & a myriad of effects-with a few rare vintage ones.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Rush, Rush and... Rush!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Funny..No one mentioned Tangerine Dream or more recently Mostly Autumn, Marillion, Hawkwind, Nektar, Renaissance, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Roy Harper,
Magma.....

I'm sure I'm missing a few more...

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Hey Thank you so much everyone!!!!!At work I'm lucky my boss likes aol proggressive station which is where the love started from but they play 5 bands yes,genesis,dream theater,porcupine tree and jethro tuill which are all good but tired lol.I tried pandora and similar results.I used to just listen to classic rock/metal but as I am getting older I am starting to appreciate more of this genre.I have to check out some more trillion and others suggested.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:04 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

favorite British Prog-Rock band
Atomic Rooster - Space Cowboy
http://youtu.be/9FhOkLpkAPk

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - Nightmare
http://youtu.be/x8G6_QMt0-Y

Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - Fire
http://youtu.be/_ucYUA1Nnro

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:56 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Prog-rock is one of the genres that I should like (excellent musicianship, technically challenging performances and deep, poetic lyrics), but it just doesn't move me for the most part. I like individual songs by many of the better-known bands mentioned here, but I just can't get into the genre as a whole.

I'll give anything a second/third/fourth swing, but right now that's one genre that just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe I'm just too simplistic. :?

Screamin' Armadillos
Texas Roadhouse Music
Guitar/Slide Guitar/Harp/Vocals

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next