It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: thank goodness for youtube
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

i'm probably one of the older guys here-65 years of age. started playing guitar in 1960. back then, there was no internet, no magazines that talked about guitar. the only place to get information was your local music store.

flash forward to the present. the internet is alive, and we have youtube! i spend a good amount of time on there, learning about new gear, or new artists, sharpening up my playing skills. its also great to see a lot of old footage from my favorite era-the 60's.

glad i am alive to see this-it keeps me inspired.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: thank goodness for youtube
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Oh yeah, there's all kinds of stuff out there now. I guess in the 60's they had magazines that featured gear and musicians in the UK, like "Beat Instrumental," but I don't know if they had them in the US at the time. I was born in 1971, so that was a little before my time. When I started playing bass in 1988, I remember they had quite a few magazines around, and books. They also had the VHS tapes, either instructional stuff, or concert videos. It certainly was still isolated to some degree.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:59 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Dive right in kids - https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24721

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I wish that Youtube was around when I started playing guitar in the early 90s. There were lots of instructional books and magazines around back then, but it is so much easier to pick things up when you can see for yourself what the player is doing with his hands.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

PaulLF wrote:
Oh yeah, there's all kinds of stuff out there now. I guess in the 60's they had magazines that featured gear and musicians in the UK, like "Beat Instrumental," but I don't know if they had them in the US at the time. I was born in 1971, so that was a little before my time. When I started playing bass in 1988, I remember they had quite a few magazines around, and books. They also had the VHS tapes, either instructional stuff, or concert videos. It certainly was still isolated to some degree.

I graduated from high school in 1971, and I started playing when I was 12 (1965). I wore out a ton of vinyl trying to figure out how to play songs, so I agree, youtube is a great source of info. In the U.S. there was not much available in the way of magazines or any info pertaining to then contemporary music. Pretty much the only thing available was Mel Bay :P
I bought my first Fender from him, a Fender Mustang. Back then, he showed up everyday in his store.
Essentially, I'm happy that back then, I had to wear out records, I think it improved my "ear".

So, different views. Technology makes things easier. Is that a good thing? Sometimes. But for my part, I'm glad it wasn't available to me at that time, and I am glad it is now.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I suppose the one thing with technology available or not, is you still got to put your playing time in if you want to get anywhere. There isn't an instant gratification button you can press and all of the sudden you know how to do it. I've been playing bass over 31 years now and there's still stuff that I could learn to do. I don't think you really ever stop learning stuff, and that's part of the fun, I think.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

+1

Somewhat akin to "paying dues"

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

vinyl wrote:
I wore out a ton of vinyl trying to figure out how to play songs.

+1

Three copies of "Disraeli Gears" alone in my case. Two copies of "Are You Experienced?", many others from lesser-known bands.

ATCO and Reprise made a fortune off of me.

:lol:
Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:34 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
ATCO and Reprise made a fortune off of me.
:lol:
Arjay

And that turned into a !XSGtload of money for the labels.

Next we were thankful for cassette decks. :lol: We could buy an album, record it, and not wear it out trying to figure out how to play a song.
I'll leave it at that, although I could go into a whole 'nother thing about who owns what for personal use.