It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post subject: November 11th. A Freedom Thank You!
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

In Canada November 11th is Remembrance Day in Canada, Veterans Day in USA, and other countries honour their veterans, perhaps differently, and some with another name. Regardless, freedom is something we all received from those who gave of themselves to make the world a better place. We should never take freedom for granted, As much as it would be wonderful reality does not allow us that choice.

Having come from a family with 3 out of four in the military (from the 40s to the 70s) with relatives in the Navy, Army, and Air Force I am well aware of the sacrifices made.

To everyone, whether it’s football (my team just won the semi-final for the season), hockey, some other sport, a barbecue, a movie, dinner, other festivite event, or just kicking back, maybe playing your guitar, enjoy this gift we were given by those who served. They would want it that way.

With respect and with much appreciation for the fallen, and for the living vets, “Thank you, for your service” on this special day and, including those who protect us in the present, everyday. You made and make a difference.

FSB

Last edited by Fender Strat Brat on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: November 11th. A Freedom Thank You!
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:44 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Thank you, to those who served representing all nations.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:03 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks, to you and for your great post Rich.

FSB

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Thanks, to you and for your great post Rich.

FSB

Outstanding post Rich. I look at it as, the Vets that didn't make it home, didn't give their lives, they had them taken away. God Bless to all the fallen Brothers, and Sisters to fight for what's right. Amen.

The world is a dangerous place.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:41 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Wonderful words and sentiment, one and all. I echo your words and would like to add my deepest gratitude to those brave young men and women protecting and preserving our way of life. I am speaking for myself because I know personally how what they have done, and are still doing, has made my life better. But, I also know that they have helped people from many other countries as well. I pray for peace in this world every day but until that day comes, God Bless them all.

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:45 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Your thoughts and words are appreciated Glenn, Marky, and Matt.

There are many untold and/or misunderstood stories of these heroes, and PTSD has been a part of that. It touched Remembrance Day here and likewise elsewhere. This is one of those stories, and it is only one.

http://www.legion.ca/remembrance/silver-cross-mother

How some are managing:

War is Hell for the fallen and the living. These guys know all about it:

Let’s hope we will do better.
Thank you, Vets.

Peace
FSB

Last edited by Fender Strat Brat on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thank you, FSB for the moving videos and story of Private Thomas Welch and his mother. I pray for peace every day and for people to gain the insight that we are all One and the same.

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Marky Forrest wrote:
Thank you, FSB for the moving videos and story of Private Thomas Welch and his mother. I pray for peace every day and for people to gain the insight that we are all One and the same.
Yes we are, Marky. Well, we certainly start out that way. Aside from some choosing to walk the wrong path which leads to a difficult conclusion, it’s too bad many are deaf and blind to that fact. :wink:
FSB

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 pm
Amateur
Amateur

Just for the sake of accuracy.....the sentiments expressed here are all spot-on.

November 11 is referred to as Remembrance Day in Canada, not Memorial Day. Memorial Day is observed in Newfoundland and Labrador on July 01 (along with Canada Day) and honours the province’s veterans.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Pudbert wrote:
Just for the sake of accuracy.....the sentiments expressed here are all spot-on.

November 11 is referred to as Remembrance Day in Canada, not Memorial Day. Memorial Day is observed in Newfoundland and Labrador on July 01 (along with Canada Day) and honours the province’s veterans.
Thanks, for the corrections which I have included for my faux pas. I should have caught that. :roll:
Remembrance Day evolved out of Armistice Day and some choose to call it Poppy Day. The Silver Cross (also known as the National Silver Cross) given to the next of kin of a Canadian serviceman who dies in action or because of normal duty, to confuse things more, is called the Memorial Cross or National Memorial Cross. Cenotaph is interchanged with Memorial and can be found combined as Cenotaph Memorial and/or Memorial Cenotaph. You explained Remembrance Day and Memorial Day well, Pudbert. Appreciated and a fitting addition.

FSB

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Pudbert wrote:

Likewise here...
November 11th is Veteran's Day, a day to honor those who served, living or dead.
The last Monday of May is Memorial Day, a day to honor those who gave all for their country.
Many people treat them the same, and every now and then, you hear a vet thank someone for the kind thoughts, but remind them that HIS day is at the end of summer, and Memorial Day is not his day.

It is sad though, that some people will say "Happy Memorial Day"... to them, the day is nothing more than a day off work and a BBQ signifying the beginning of summer :facepalm:... sad.
Veteran's Day can be a day of mixed emotions... joy in spending time with those who served and are still with us, tempered by remembrance for those who are not.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

To all of the veterans, thank you for your service.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well said, Rich. There is a difference to be sure. At least for now.

I think things may change in the future and with generations. Take my father for example. He snuck in under age just short of 17, went to war twice (both the bulk of WWII and the Korean), and served in peacetime until retirement as a Chief Warrant Officer. He saw lots of close action, casualties, POWs, and survivors. Medals are on the wall and original photos of U-Boat survivors are in an album. His generation suffered PTSD big time; but, it was not identified, and it was held in denial and with a lot of fear for losing a career. Some things never change, and then again some things do.

Today, the action may occur in a shorter period of time and it often repeats elsewhere. In this town Afghanistan vets have, after a short return, moved on to Myanmar. Here in Canada the three services share locations and battlefields. A sailor may see Afghanistan and a soldier may see the China Sea for example.

The one common denominator is that in death and in living both the individual and their families and friends have a connection that is shared in their well being. We can choose to combine them all or give them separate consideration. I’m fine to accept the status quo.

For me, I get especially emotional when I hear of a distressed or dead sailor from another nation whether an ally or not. I know soldiers and airmen have a similar kinship. Most of us think of every serviceman with respect no matter the border, and hope the call never comes, but each is there to seek and protect as duty calls. The next generation will have to make their own choice. Thankfully, as in the past, the youth of the world is still showing support whether a little or a lot.

FSB

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:36 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

A sincere thank you to all the vets and their families for their service and sacrifices.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next