It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Charity
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:06 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I find myself with a little extra money. Emphasis on little, because I'm retired.

I have charities like Make-A-Wish, or Wounded Warrior Foundation, but I'm wondering about a musical charity that others here support, or even if there is one that we might support as a community.

There's the Fender Music Foundation, but not much info about it, just an email address. Not really impressed.

I also checked the terms of use and code of conduct, didn't really find anything that would suggest this post is out of line, just interested what others might have to say.
Anyone here have a musical charity they support?

Or even some other non-musical charity?

Cheers,
vinyl

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Charity
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:52 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

We support St. Jude's Children's Hospital year-round plus Wounded Warrior Project and Disabled American Veterans with a single annual donation.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Other than cousins and their grown up kids, I have no immediate family other than Mrs. FSB. I have great in-laws, but those that are musically inclined are of my generation. The others are not likely to embrace music lessons or such.

So, having worked alongside others who were less fortunate than me, including my father, I know how war, conflicts, and difficult life decisions can affect the ones who protect us. Those actions and memories often remain hidden and not spoken of (like those I discovered early in life with my family, one who saw U-boat action with survivors and casualties, another who was an Air Force war photographer, both brothers who managed well for the most part, or so I first thought until the clues presented themselves.

I have decided that at least one if not all of my guitars and related gear will go to this organization:

https://vetscanada.org/guitars-for-vets.php

The Salvation Army was there for me as a little tyke when fire destroyed our home, so they are also on my regular list, and the Jerry Lewis Telethon (Muscular Dystrophy), the first Variety Club Telethon in Canada, and others saw me working the productions, suffice to say it takes a lot and a little to make these sorts of charities successful.

It should be said that large charities are thought to be in a better position to manage their affairs. Not always so. Small charities and recent ones have changed that and, heavy weighted management aside, large or small charities have similar needs. Incidentally. this city, with a stellar Human Rights Museum, prides itself in having the most charitable donations in the country. You’ll find requests and/or availability to donate at most cash registers.

How the funds’ portions are distributed is as important as what the funds are given for. Corruption with undesirable food dumping or the receiving or taking of goods by unscrupulous recipients is not uncommon. Many charities are more volunteer related than others. The argument is you can’t get quality management without paying for it. My experience is quality management does not have to come with a pay check at the end of the week outside of reasonable expenses. YMMV. Exceptions do exist, however. Traditions are hard to break and that goes both ways. I think you’ll want to see that your donation reaches those in need and that it will serve the purpose intended.

That said, a little can go a long way so thanks for your donations, and thanks to those who support charities with their time and support.

Have a good feeling today, and help others feel good. Both pay off in spades IMHO.

FSB

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:31 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I believe that I've told this story before but here it is again. One year when I was working the phones for March of dimes/Jerry's kids, taking calls for donations and making some calls to friends and family to see if they could donate for the cause. I called an old friend whom I had known since childhood he was actually the friend that taught me to drive a car when we were teenagers in his Mom's deuce and a quarter convertible. Anyways he is one of the wealthiest people I know and to give you an idea of how and why that is, his company contracts with most of the stadiums (baseball, football. hockey etc...) across the country. So I give him the scripted pitch for a donation and then there was a pause of silence, he then said to me " you know when I watch those telethons Jerry always looks better and better but the kids keep getting sicker and sicker, I'm not sending you a nickel" and hung up on me. I thought same old buddy, brutally honest. I know he's a good guy who always takes care of his family and friends but wouldn't put up with BS ever. As far as charities I donate to wounded warriors and my sister has a few that she thinks are good so I go along with her on those.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sorry you weren't able to change your friend's heart, Rollie. But thanks for sharing the story and for your generosity to worthy causes.

(insert hand salute emoticon here)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I appreciate everyone's reply, FWIW, I did find a site that rates charities. However, they wanted money before they would tell me what they thought. :lol:
Thanks FSB for sharing your link to vetscanada.org, we don't seem to have anything similar here, though I did send a little something to the Missouri USO through my Grandniece's Girl Scout campaign. Who knew Girl scouts don't just do cookies anymore? Now they're into chocolate, magazines, and nuts. But I'm sure they will be hitting me up for cookies in the future.

I hoped to find a charity that gave the gift of playing music, but it seems that is not to be. I'll continue to give my regular amount to the organizations that I mentioned previously.

I sent the "extra" to my nephew to help pay off his college loans. I doubt they will be forgiven otherwise. Maybe I'm dreaming.

In the meantime, I'll still be enjoying retirement.

Cheers,

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:24 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Still enjoying retirement, I've found a 501C organization that provides a ride home for people that have had to much to drink for less than a taxi, and they drive you home in your own car.

I think that's pretty cool.

In this day and age, you can go and enjoy some live entertainment, and still have something to drink. And then you can arrange for a team of drivers to drive you home in your own car, 1 driver drives you home, the second driver follows, and picks up the first driver.

Anybody else think that's pretty cool besides me?

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I support anything that makes our roads safer and prevents trouble before it can begin.

Arjay

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:44 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

We support Blues For The Troops, Wounded Warrior and Kids With Cancer programs.

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:43 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

With this being known as the most charitable city in Canada some find it difficult to say yes to a charity and yet most do. It’s also tough to say no depending on the timing and how one looks at things. One minute the doorbell rings and it’s the Red Cross. In the hours before or after an opened door may present a church group, school students, business reps, an ethnic group, or other collectors for the same cause. Add your favourite charity, work donations, athletic and entertainment fund raisers, a trip to the mall or store requesting contributions or the selling of
individual and books of tickets for draws or discounts, hospital lotteries, and phone requests then it all becomes overwhelming.

I believe in being charitable; but, I sometimes get the idea that others might think that’s not the case without a contribution.

Today it was reported that this province of approx. 1 1/3 million people (over half of whom live in Winnipeg) surprisingly sees crime washing 3 billion dollars each year. Much of that was tracked to the Caribbean, and with legal delays it moved to or around Panama. Other cities and banks do similar more or less. We’re not talking chump change. Imagine how this organization affects the community, and imagine the revenue lost that might have had a trickle down benefit to support others more worthy and in need.

Forgetting that, I find it disgusting that a lot of this illegal money ends up knowingly or unknowingly in the building of accepted legitimate businesses, many of which ironically grab bragging rights and accolades for their contributions to the community and charity while these individuals and companies divorce themselves of any corruption, and abuse (directly or indirectly) of others . We see these injustices playing a large part in the success of charities; but, like other corrupt leadership, the history, confidence act, and business plans behind it all puts these original contributors in a different light amongst the shadows. :wink:
Quite different from the honourable ones that deserve a standing ovation and an encore.

FSB

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:08 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Your local community theater group would love to hear from you.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

ghost_of_strings wrote:
Your local community theater group would love to hear from you.
Actually, they have in a different direction. Ghost. :wink:
FSB

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:49 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
With this being known as the most charitable city in Canada some find it difficult to say yes to a charity and yet most do. It’s also tough to say no depending on the timing and how one looks at things. ...snip..., hospital lotteries
FSB

Hospital lotteries? :roll: Haven't had that here yet.

Fender Strat Brat wrote:

it all becomes overwhelming.

Pretty much the reason for this post. I was interested in reading what non-profit organizations other forum members find worthwhile to donate their time or money to.

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
I believe in being charitable; but, I sometimes get the idea that others might think that’s not the case without a contribution.

Today it was reported that this province of approx. 1 1/3 million people (over half of whom live in Winnipeg) surprisingly sees crime washing 3 billion dollars each year. Much of that was tracked to the Caribbean, and with legal delays it moved to or around Panama. Other cities and banks do similar more or less. We’re not talking chump change. Imagine how this organization affects the community, and imagine the revenue lost that might have had a trickle down benefit to support others more worthy and in need.

Forgetting that, I find it disgusting that a lot of this illegal money ends up knowingly or unknowingly in the building of accepted legitimate businesses, many of which ironically grab bragging rights and accolades for their contributions to the community and charity while these individuals and companies divorce themselves of any corruption, and abuse (directly or indirectly) of others . We see these injustices playing a large part in the success of charities; but, like other corrupt leadership, the history, confidence act, and business plans behind it all puts these original contributors in a different light amongst the shadows. :wink:
Quite different from the honourable ones that deserve a standing ovation and an encore.

These days, it's virtually impossible to find any non profit that some corporation doesn't support (and try to claim bragging rights). Including the one I mentioned above who gets sponsorship from a major beer brewer.

Years ago, the corporation that I worked for main slogan was "A Citizen Wherever We Serve". And they still are energetic to prove it. They "encourage" employees to participate in charities like Habitat for Humanity, United Way, Red Cross, etc., but aside from holding on-site blood drives, they don't pay employees to participate.

While money laundering happens, it's difficult say who is or who isn't. If it was easy to prove, it wouldn't happen much.

I was mainly wanting to read what some other charities forum members find worthwhile because I respect their opinions.

As far as local theater groups go, when I lived in St. Louis, I used to enjoy the "Muny Opera" 102 years old, they claim to be the "oldest and largest outdoor musical theater". They're a 501C organization, and enjoy corporate sponsorship.

They don't put on Russian parlor dramas. I've seen one or two, pretty much the most depressing plays I've ever seen.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, perhaps this thread has run it's course.

Cheers,
vinyl

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I hear ya vinyl. I knew nothing of the Muny Opera, but I’ve heard the mention of your theater. Thanks, for the update.

I also support the arts, with a little Chekhov and Shakespeare behind my belt as well, but one needs to go no further than to take a look at the example of how the finest symphony orchestras have spread out their repertoire to run a business while finding a place to satisfy their passion. There isn’t a first band to discover that sometimes you have to suck it up and play for the audience before you can play to the audience. Many in the arts should learn this lesson.

History here and jealousy of those patrons in Toronto there created a world class Royal Winnipeg Ballet, orchestra, amateur opera, popular outdoor stage with full seating, and professional / amateur theatre here in the prairies where we’ve had our successes move on professionally to Hollywood, Broadway. stadiums and elsewhere. The Jewish community supported it from the beginning to show relatives back east that their arts were no better but, perhaps, only more plentiful. These fine folk also participate with the the rest of the community, and if there is a method of supporting charity you are likely to find it here. I directed the televised part of the first Variety Club telethon in Canada with home boy Monty Hall who was a fixture with that charity. Canadian and American stars of all kinds, and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders amongst others gave of themselves for free to raise over a million dollars first time around.

Yep, bragging rights and credit are part of the beast, but so are the over managed high income organizations that are a double edge sword where the results are compromised by money fed to areas that are questionable. United Way has been criticized by it’s top heavy management, just like the candy bar and nuts door to door sales. The United (ironic) Nations has many hands in the pie, questionable results, direct or indirect corruption, outdated, overpriced, inadequate or poor fit supplies stored and delivered with untold stories, and that doesn’t touch on hopelessly using pop guns and words unheard against missiles. Yes, I know there are good things to be had here, and I support our troops; but, the League of Nations failed for many of the same reasons we see today. Luckily we still have some of those adopted League of Nations departments and agencies repeating their record with the U.N.; but, that’s another story except I do often wonder who’s getting the best of the charity. The provider or the delivery guy,

I still believe in teachIng a man to fish. If he tries and fails, I’ll still consider sharing. I’ll teach the interested all day long. There are those who can’t fish for a variety of reasons; but, for those who can but won’t just because it doesn’t interest them or because they are lazy, I’m not catching their free meal for long or often.

A fair wage is warranted based on need, and sometimes professionals are needed. I’ve worked with many who travel doing just that. Most are tied to an expense account with or without a wage, and all AFAIK were accountable for a fair compensation under scrutiny.

As for volunteering, I’m in total agreement except when others are making money without paying for free labour instead of offering a job to those in need when omitted from a possible opportunity. All too often volunteers are offered perks while events, museums, the arts, and so on are reaping the pocket change. Not all volunteering is guilty of this, but a lot needs to be put under the microscope. IMHO.

That said. It truly is better to give than take. It pays off in spades,

That’s my two cents.

FSB

Re: Hospital lottery as discussed earlier.
This charitable lottery and another hospital’s are offered a few times each year. Check the menu:

Tickets not available unless in Manitoba, so this is not a promotion. Simply for a sample:

https://stbmegamillionchoices.ca/bonus/