It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 570  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 570  Next
Post subject: Re: What are you doing?
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:40 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Just finished day 1 of the Walter auction, watched the whole 7+ hours got a few bids in but there was money flowing on nearly all the items today. Watching the ball game and having a couple hot dogs.

Paul, just a heads up in case you weren't aware. MS Edge is under a drastic rebuild (BETA), they are switching to a Chromium based program pretty soon. Either later this year or early 2020 is the scheduled release. Give a google search for all the details-- MS Edge news or MS Chromium.

Fender Play November 2019
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:14 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
Enjoying the peace, and quiet in the house while Mrs. Nylon, and Apollo sleep in this morning. Image

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I went for a predawn walk and to the store to get a few things. Now, I'm just checking forum stuff and email.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:21 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sfceric64 wrote:
Just finished day 1 of the Walter auction, watched the whole 7+ hours got a few bids in but there was money flowing on nearly all the items today. Watching the ball game and having a couple hot dogs.

Paul, just a heads up in case you weren't aware. MS Edge is under a drastic rebuild (BETA), they are switching to a Chromium based program pretty soon. Either later this year or early 2020 is the scheduled release. Give a google search for all the details-- MS Edge news or MS Chromium.

Thanks for the heads up. 8)

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Wow! Boss Me-80. I’m happy for you, Marky. That’ll keep you away from the DAW. :lol: What a great tool to add to your collection. Nice! Enjoy good times with that monster. 8) FSB

Thanks, Gary! Yes! Keep me away from that confusing DAW and get down to making some music!

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:50 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Looks like everyone is doing well. That's a good thing. :) I finished reading the ME-80 manual and downloaded its software. I'm going to look at the software closely once I finish here. Have fun, everyone! 8)

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sfceric64 wrote:
Just finished day 1 of the Walter auction, watched the whole 7+ hours got a few bids in but there was money flowing on nearly all the items today.
I looked at that for a bit too. Interesting to see the overbids. I was surprised to find there might be some interesting and affordable gear for me to bid on. Well, sort of. After reading the rules, cost to get my selections to Canada were prohibitive with auction fees, shipping, insurance, duties, and our illustrious leader’s take on how an artificially low dollar is an advantage for me.. :lol: YMMV

Border permissions and denials were also considered (and of course a related final sales stipulation). CITES (*see the linked article below) was a big part of my decision. I believe there have been recent changes and conditions which are always good to look up at time of need. Regulations can be pretty daunting, and often left to interpretation which can be good or bad depending on how it plays out. It is my belief that agents err on the side of confiscation when in doubt. Like many legal and government matters it is left to the owner to straighten out any dispute bundled with questionable red tape. :?
A lot of auction items, of course, did not fall into the endangered act, however. I particularly liked the early 3M digital mastering tape decks. Very cool 8)
Tape (especially of this sort) is not economical these days (as if it ever was). though. Still it does serve a purpose. Pedals galore, funky little amps, quality rack gear, and quite a few reasonably priced wild guitars and basses amongst the cream of the crop. Unfortunately, I’d have to have a full tank of GAS and a heap load of desire before making a bid for any of those inexpensive toys that get picked up by the CITES radar yet alone the higher priced collectables.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/featur ... on-treaty/

FSB

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:01 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
I was surprised to find there might be some interesting and affordable gear for me to bid on. Well, sort of. After reading the rules, cost to get my selections to Canada were prohibitive with auction fees, shipping, insurance, duties, and our illustrious leader’s take on how an artificially low dollar is an advantage for me..
Yup, that was my thinking initially. They had very conservatively marked the pre auction prices perhaps to draw a larger bidding base. When I saw a 200-400 dollar estimate item sell for over 20k it was a shock. But their 28% buyers premium was a big limiting factor for me. I dont consider S & H as a reason not to bid on anything but in your case yeah it could be a real expensive deal. If an item comes w/ a roller stage case I will usually avoid it as it could weigh an extra 100 lbs. Needless to say I didn't buy anything as my best bets after the initial 7 items I was interested in bidding on went past, were partscasters selling for around 2k bids, I did a quick exit.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sfceric64 wrote:
Quote:
I was surprised to find there might be some interesting and affordable gear for me to bid on. Well, sort of. After reading the rules, cost to get my selections to Canada were prohibitive with auction fees, shipping, insurance, duties, and our illustrious leader’s take on how an artificially low dollar is an advantage for me..
Yup, that was my thinking initially. They had very conservatively marked the pre auction prices perhaps to draw a larger bidding base. When I saw a 200-400 dollar estimate item sell for over 20k it was a shock. But their 28% buyers premium was a big limiting factor for me. I dont consider S & H as a reason not to bid on anything but in your case yeah it could be a real expensive deal. If an item comes w/ a roller stage case I will usually avoid it as it could weigh an extra 100 lbs. Needless to say I didn't buy anything as my best bets after the initial 7 items I was interested in bidding on went past, were partscasters selling for around 2k bids, I did a quick exit.
Sorry you couldn’t get in on those items, sfceric64. It wasn’t hard to see where they were going (and fast). For us on this side of the line, it’s mostly the lack of availability of choice goods that limits us. That’s where frustration sets in. Supply and demand with population. I guess our winters aren’t cold or hot enough to have a lot of kids. :lol: Once in awhile we’ll see the same or better deal here. Perhaps, we’ll have the goods. When supply is available we might get lucky if demand is lessened by fewer takers than you have in the States.

Location and timing is everything. Sometimes exchange rates flip. I have a friend that just came back from Vegas with his son. He always wanted to see Barrett-Jackson, and I’m told he found some cars viable to bring here at far less than I would have thought. So, I guess anything is possible. I laughed at the part where it says Julien’s bids can be made on behalf of the Cosignor up to the Reserve price. Not uncommon, but wanky and funny. :lol: I understand about all the surcharges and whatnot (maybe not the percentage). Part of doing business, but certainly a difficult addition in my case. Retail is much easier on all accounts. Give me what I want, slap a big name to it, present a fair price, add reasonable shipping, tax and duty and we’re good to go. :D Not much of a challenge though. not like an auction, and the chase is a big part of it. :D
Krazy closing bids though, huh? :shock:
Some good deals too.

FSB

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:23 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Quote:
Krazy closing bids though, huh?:shock:
Some good deals too.
You betcha, perhaps a little provenance premium throughout.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:29 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Trying to figure out what it will be.

Should I take a nap at 1 or 3?

Ah, the life...

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:24 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Marky Forrest wrote:
Trying to figure out what it will be.

Should I take a nap at 1 or 3?

Ah, the life...
Lemme see. If you take a nap at 1 and wake up at 3:01 you’ll have the bases covered, Marky. :P
Today I have a lot of choices (I always do) of what to do. I think I’ll toss a coin first, and hope for the best.

FSB

Gotta get me one of those double headed coins. :lol:

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Lemme see. If you take a nap at 1 and wake up at 3:01 you’ll have the bases covered, Marky. :P
Today I have a lot of choices (I always do) of what to do. I think I’ll toss a coin first, and hope for the best.

FSB

Gotta get me one of those double headed coins. :lol:

:lol: Whatever you choose, have fun!

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Going to go for a long walk, maybe watch a film or two, and put in some bass time.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
I'm reveling in being able to see things clearly again, with my new eye glasses I picked up yesterday. I See You,....... Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 570  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 570  Next