It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Texas Specials wiring tips please !
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:05 pm
Amateur
Amateur

I'm about to fit a set of TS's to my Stratocaster that i have just recently purchased so am just trying to get as much information as possible.
Should i follow the wiring diagram that came with it or is there a better way ? SRV sound in mind.
I have extra lengths of bradded/waxed solid core spare an am not stranger to a soldering iron but as many useful tips as i can get would be very much a appreciated
thanks in advance
Dan.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Texas Specials wiring tips please !
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:20 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If your guitar seems overly bright in position one (bridge only) after installation of the TS's you might consider wiring the bridge pickup to your lower tone control to tame it down.

HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 am
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks for the tip.
My all time favorite position is neck-middle so that sounds good to me !
amp of choice is a JCM900 so pretty dirty to start with but consider it as an option
Thanks again
Dan.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:03 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Arjay's suggestion is a good one. The wiring diagram for the Jimmie Vaughan Strat will give you that setup:
http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/stratocaster/013-9202A_SISD.pdf

My other suggestion would be to try setting them quite low, almost down to the pickguard and see how you like the sound and adjust upward from there, I have them in 2 of my Strats and I feel they sound nicest set quite low, so be sure to give that a try.

Snowy

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:08 pm
Amateur
Amateur

Just a quick question, the wiring diagram that i used is the same as the Jimmie Vaughan Strat (the diagram that came with the pickups) EXCEPT the wire from the lower tone pot to the pickup select (see picture).

Everything is working just fine and it sounds great, the question being, either of the tone pots don't seem to be doing a lot ? maby its just me ? :? any suggestions one anything that i might of done wrong would be much appreciated, don't think i have, i might just looking for trouble with it now could be the case :?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Fender 1987 MIJ Stratocaster, Texas Special Loaded.
    Fender 2007 MIA Jazz Deluxe.

Last edited by danny-79 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:25 pm
Amateur
Amateur

Just had a look at the scratch place that came off (its still all wired together untouched) an noticed that the ground wire that links all the pots together runs all the way around to the pickup selector as well could this be causing any problems ?
Theres no mention in the wiring diagram that came with it about linking the pots together an on the J.V diagram the ground link is how i have mine (just the pots) ?
Don't think its an issue, really don't wanna have to open it up again :lol:

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

danny-79 wrote:
Just a quick question, the wiring diagram that i used is the same as the Jimmie Vaughan Strat (the diagram that came with the pickups) EXCEPT the wire from the lower tone pot to the pickup select (see picture).

Everything is working just fine and it sounds great, the question being, either of the tone pots don't seem to be doing a lot ? maby its just me ? :? any suggestions one anything that i might of done wrong would be much appreciated, don't think i have, i might just looking for trouble with it now could be the case :?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Its hard to tell from the photo because of the lighting, but it looks like you have one leg of the tone cap wired to the center terminal of tone pot #1. That leg should be connected to ground on the housing of tone pot #1. Yes, you want a ground wire connecting all three pots.

Last edited by bluesky636 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

danny-79 wrote:
Just had a look at the scratch place that came off (its still all wired together untouched) an noticed that the ground wire that links all the pots together runs all the way around to the pickup selector as well could this be causing any problems ?
Theres no mention in the wiring diagram that came with it about linking the pots together an on the J.V diagram the ground link is how i have mine (just the pots) ?
Don't think its an issue, really don't wanna have to open it up again :lol:

There should not be a ground wire connected to any terminal of the pickup selector switch.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 am
Amateur
Amateur

Draw up these diagrams.
This is how it is wired now (when i say ground wire, my fault mean connecting wire)

going to get soldering iron out and move the CAP wire as shown, directly to the pot.

Will post back later with progress, thanks for your help

Last edited by danny-79 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

The cap location is correct in the second diagram.

Why do you insist on calling the yellow wires "grounds"? They are the inputs to the tone caps from the selected pickups. They are not grounds.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:10 pm
Amateur
Amateur

bluesky636 wrote:
The cap location is correct in the second diagram.

Why do you insist on calling the yellow wires "grounds"? They are the inputs to the tone caps from the selected pickups. They are not grounds.

Very sorry about that, i was calling them grounds possibly because i used black wire when i first put it together for some strange reason (probably because they were highlighted in black on the diagram, mistake on my part)

Ive corrected my post and most importantly the Guitar ! :D
Simple little mistake on part my when putting the guitar together that has been bugging me ever since, it was like the tone controls were permanently open, looked over the wiring diagram and couldn't see what id crossed over, now that you have pointed it out to me it was clear what i had done wrong, ten minute job an all is good now so thank you very much for your help.
All the best
Dan.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Glad to hear everything has worked out. :D

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:18 pm
Amateur
Amateur

bluesky636 wrote:
Glad to hear everything has worked out. :D

Thanks!! :D

I'm just questioning the position that i have the input wire from the last pot to the selector, its correct to the diagram that i got with the pickups but shows on the J.V diagram that it is moved to the next terminal along (see original picture that i posted).
Was just wondering what difference this would make.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:41 pm
Amateur
Amateur

I'm liking the way that its set up now, theres plenty of tone control over the Bridge pickup without a harsh mid spike.
The seems less control now over the volume pot, the volume doesn't start kicking in now until Ive got it turned up to about "5" is that normal for this set up ? all three pots are 250K.
All that i have changed is corrected my error with the tone cap (I'm a dumb a** for not getting it right in the first place :( ) and moved tone pot #2 input to the next position along on the pickup selector.

But apart from that, its a different guitar again , like it the way it is an (hope) i wont be opening it up again (Ive got it down to an art removing the loaded scratch plate with out removing the strings, just slacken them off !! lol :lol: )

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

danny-79 wrote:
I'm liking the way that its set up now, theres plenty of tone control over the Bridge pickup without a harsh mid spike.
The seems less control now over the volume pot, the volume doesn't start kicking in now until Ive got it turned up to about "5" is that normal for this set up ? all three pots are 250K.
All that i have changed is corrected my error with the tone cap (I'm a dumb a** for not getting it right in the first place :( ) and moved tone pot #2 input to the next position along on the pickup selector.

But apart from that, its a different guitar again , like it the way it is an (hope) i wont be opening it up again (Ive got it down to an art removing the loaded scratch plate with out removing the strings, just slacken them off !! lol :lol: )

Double check all your connections for clean solder joints. Volume control on my Strat starts at about 2 - 2.5.

I use the Jimmie Vaughn wiring also but I have added the Greasbucket circuit to both tone pots. With the two Greasebuckets there is no physical connection between the two tone pots. They are completely independent. If you don't want to do the full Greasebucket, you can just add a second tone cap. Attach it to the center lug of tone pot two and the case of tone pot 2 and cut the wire that connects tone pot 1 to tone pot 2.

Go to page 1, 2  Next