It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post subject: DoubleTap Humbuckers wiring configuration
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the forum. I thought I'd drop this here hoping someone might have an idea.

I'm re-doing the electronics in a fender Stratocaster to double fender DoubleTap humbuckers. One at the neck and one at the bridge. The configuration includes ONE volume pot and ONE tone knob, and a 3-way switch. To switch between single coil and humbucker, I am using a two-way ON/ON mini toggle. I am just trying to get a split coil from both buckers on one toggle switch with the volume, tone and 3-way.

Because these humbuckers are brand-new, not I, nor my sales tech or anyone else for that matter can figure out how to wire this thing up and make it work properly. I have tried many different combinations. I will provide some pictures to show what I am doing and what's going on.

Here's what I'm doing:

I purchased a set of Fender DoubleTap humbuckers from Sweetwater.com. Unfortunately, they cannot seem to figure it out either.

Here's the wiring diagram that came in the box with the humbuckers:

This is what I've tried to do with many different combinations and have failed:

After trying many configurations, the closest I believe I have gotten where both settings on the toggle make sound is this:

As you can see, this configuration works. HOWEVER... There is no change between humbucker and single-coil modes when I flip the switch.
Is this because there is no difference between splitting coils? Because after listening to videos of split pickups even on a clean tone, there is a difference. There is no difference in my tone at all when flipping the switch.

I hope someone out there can help me! I've been soldering for days with no luck!

I know I haven't included all configurations I have tried, but If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will answer them. And if I've tried it, I will tell you and explain what happened after trying that configuration.

Thanks!

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: DoubleTap Humbuckers wiring configuration
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Your photo is to indistinct to tell.
The object of the toggle is to ground or short one pickup coil when the toggle is activated.
You appear to have multiple wires coming from the switch when you need only one from it to the can of the pot why is that. Please also be aware color codes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The easy way to tell if a coil is on or off is plug the guitar in and tap the poles of the pickup. :D

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jimmy_james wrote:
Your photo is to indistinct to tell.
The object of the toggle is to ground or short one pickup coil when the toggle is activated.
You appear to have multiple wires coming from the switch when you need only one from it to the can of the pot why is that. Please also be aware color codes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The easy way to tell if a coil is on or off is plug the guitar in and tap the poles of the pickup. :D

Sorry! I know the picture sucks..

Maybe I can explain. So the south end of each pickup is wires black, red, and white. The north end is green and bare.

Green is the hot wire in this case that runs to the 3-way blade, black and bare are grounded, and white and red are on each lug of the toggle. The lugs below the red and white wires on the toggle are grounded. All of these are grounded to the volume pot. And this is the case for both pickups.

When I tap on both poles of the pickups whether the toggle is up or down, it all makes sound. Both north and south poles of both pickups are always on.

Also, according to fender, this is SUPPOSED to be the configuration for their humbuckers:

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Here's a comparison chart from SD.
Refer to this to "translate" the SD drawing to the Fender colors:
SD Black = Fender Green
SD White/Gray = Fender White/Gray
SD Red = Fender Black
SD Green = Fender Red

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

This should cover you
You aren't seeing a difference when you operate the switch because with the black and bare grounded you are grounding your "South Finish", so you are either switching between both coils in parallel and one coil, or doing nothing, depending on what you have connected to the 5-way.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:22 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

CB91710 wrote:
This should cover you
You aren't seeing a difference when you operate the switch because with the black and bare grounded you are grounding your "South Finish", so you are either switching between both coils in parallel and one coil, or doing nothing, depending on what you have connected to the 5-way.

Thanks, Rich!

So you’re saying:

Hot - green
Toggle - black and white
Ground - red and bare

?

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

CB91710 wrote:
This should cover you

Also, why is the red wire not paired with the green wire? Don’t both coils need to be hot?

I.e. black and white on the toggle, bare on the ground, green and red on the 3-way?

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:59 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ignoring the 5 way for a mo and looking at the pic you posted of the fender humbucker imagine a toggle to ground connected at the join of the black and white wires.
With the toggle on you are effectively shorting the lower coil, the black and red are effectively at the same potential and no current flows in that coil. This is what you are trying to achieve in single coil operation.
Do not pair the red and green wires as you suggest.
Basic question have you wired the toggle correctly i.e. can you guarantee you are connecting the coils to ground and not to each other etc :D

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:32 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

firehous wrote:
Also, why is the red wire not paired with the green wire? Don’t both coils need to be hot?

I.e. black and white on the toggle, bare on the ground, green and red on the 3-way?

On a humbucker, the coils are in series, but the magnets and windings are out of phase.
This eliminates hum, but having the magnets reverse polarity keeps the signal in-phase for the output, same as a Strat with the middle pickup being RWRP.

So when you look at the pickup wiring diagram for the Fender pickup, taking the coil tap switch out of the circuit, you have red as ground, black and grey join the coils together, and green is the hot.
Electrically, the black is the "hot" for the lower coil, and the grey is the "ground" for the upper coil, just as if you connected two 9v batteries in series to make an 18v power source.

So we connect everything up as if we are not using the coil tap switch, then we add the switch. All the switch does is ground the connection between the pickups, which literally shorts out the lower coil and leaves only the upper coil active.

As you can see in the multiple P/U picture, not every manufacturer uses the same colors. Fender and Jackson are the same (Jackson is owned by Fender.. Gretsch, Charvel, and EVH may be the same)
So you can use the Seymour Duncan drawings, but you need to translate for the pickup design that you actually have.
This is one reason that, if I'm not using stock or Fender-sourced pickups, I always use Duncan.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:29 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay, I understand what you guys are saying.

Jimmy, I’ll give that a try and see what happens.

Rich, I get you. I’ll give that configuration a try and let y’all know.

Thanks!

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Alright guys..

After trying the above configuration (red & bare grounded to volume pot, green hot, and black & white to toggle) there is no change in sound when flipping the toggle.

What I mean is when I flip the switch one way and tap around on the pickups, no matter which direction the toggle, all points on the pickup make sound. I thought that it was supposed to kill one of the poles when flipped? Or am I just hearing it wrong? Is the whole pickup supposed to still make sound no matter the direction of the toggle?

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Tapping may or may not sound any different, depending on the pickup and the gain. You're still tapping on a pair of coils that are solidly attached to each other.
Are you getting any 60hz hum when you split the coils? That should be a noticeable difference.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:54 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

CB91710 wrote:
Tapping may or may not sound any different, depending on the pickup and the gain. You're still tapping on a pair of coils that are solidly attached to each other.
Are you getting any 60hz hum when you split the coils? That should be a noticeable difference.

Negative.

There is no hum change when flipped.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:36 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

How long should you hold your soldering iron to a lug on the toggle?

Since I've re-soldered about 100 times now.. It almost is starting to look like its melted. The bottom of the switch used to be red and now its black.

Maybe the configuration is right but I fried the switch? Thoughts?

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Do you have a multimeter to test it?

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next