It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I Need More Twang
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:02 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My Tele has a set of N3 noiseless pups. I need something with more twang.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: I Need More Twang
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Nothing Twangs like actual single coils...

When seeking twang "less is always more" Go vintage output and look to A5 magnets. A3 although they sound great for anything, they have a rounder bottom end than A5 magnets. A5 magnets (with a vintage winding) typically are more articulated/clear and have a tighter bottom end. (saucing up the Twang!)

There is a huge difference in where the twang factor is at between raised pole pieces and flat

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:00 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You're not the first player who's been disappointed in Fender's noiseless pickups.

You might give these a look......

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/tel ... 19000.html

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the Original Vintage set a try.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:09 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'll second the "try" the Orignal Vintage... I have those in my No#1 Tele. I'll add, I have some pure vintage 64s in another Telecaster that I use pretty much for old school Country.

I've got a few boutiques and a few Seymores and Dimarzios... for some reason my ears really like both the PV64s and the OVs. IMO There is something very vintage and classic about them.

I'll promote the using of various methods of shielding the guitar to include old school braided wire, quality pots & switch, and a decent cap to get the most out of them. I onced used noiseless for a time... It's probably my taste, but I prefer true single coils.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:50 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just picked up this 2013 American Deluxe. I guess I should open it up and look at the pots and cap.
My '66 has CTS pots. Is fender still using CTS pots ? Are there better pots available ?
Any thoughts on CS Nocasters ?

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:09 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm not certain what pots are installed with N3 pickups but for traditional single-coils you'll need 250K for both volume and tone. Likely you'll find a .047 ufd tone cap which I find too high in value (I prefer a .022 or .033 ufd paper-in-oil type). Fender still uses CTS but those pots are now manufactured in Mexico so don't expect them to last for half a century as with original MIA components. I've had them bite the dust in as little as five years. As a precaution you might also want to replace the output jack with a quality Switchcraft type.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the info. I'm a fan of switchcraft jacks and switches. The Art of Tone has some NOS .022 paper in oil caps and vintage wire.
I'll call him next year/week and ask him to put something together for me. He's a wizard with old Fender amps too.
Can't wait to get this thing sounding like a Tele is suppose to sound.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:00 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The upgrades we've discussed here should get it into the ballpark.

Arjay

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 am
Roadie
Roadie

pcalugaru wrote:
I'll second the "try" the Orignal Vintage... I have those in my No#1 Tele. I'll add, I have some pure vintage 64s in another Telecaster that I use pretty much for old school Country

Sorry to reply on an old post, but I’m wondering which of the above you’d recommend that would cover both country (i.e. Waylon Jennings) and 60’s 70’s Blues? I want something that does the clean thing, but definitely can sound good with a bit of overdrive. Also is one more ice pickey than the other?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm no Tele guy by any stretch of the imagination but for those two genres (Waylon and '60s/'70s blues) you might try Fender's Tex-Mex set. Back your tone control down a skosh when it's time for blues and roll some volume off for the 'good ole boy'. Should be just about optimum.

Arjay