It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Prodigy factory pickup specs??
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a Fender Prodigy and would like some info/specs on the factory pickups. I can't seem to find any information anywhere.. and there aren't any indentifying marks on the pickups themselves. :(

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Prodigy factory pickup specs??
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:14 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The pups in your Prodigy and mine will remain a mystery until someone takes one apart and counts the winds and gets a good look at the magnet. About all I can tell you is that they may be ceramic.

What I can tell you about the Prodigy is that it is a fantastic guitar. There is some disinformation about the Prodigy on Wikipedia and in some guitar forums.

The Prodigy, specifically the 91 is the result of an awesome design that resulted in a light guitar that packs an awesome sound. The body is made out of six pieces of Poplar, a very light and resonate wood. The bridge is the vintage style with vintage style saddles and the Fender tremolo.

The maple necks came with either a rosewood or maple fretboard with medium jumbo frets. I'm not certain about the radius of the fretboard but it is one you wont find brand new hanging on a rack in a guitar store. To get this body and neck today you'd have to custom order.

This guitar retailed in 91 for $400. The Prodigy is the result of Fender's attemp to compete with competitors that were making Srat like shredders and metal guitars in Japan at a lower cost.

Fender had failed to patent it's necks and bodies and several companies started using Fender's designs and they were taking market share away from Fender.

Instrestingly, 91 was a period that was a period of change at Fender. CBS had sold Fender to Fender employees in the late 80's. The CBS years saw cuts to reduce costs that compromised quality.

When Fender decided to design a competiting guitar, they turned the craftsmen loose. They were eager to build quality guitars again. And they were competing against companies that were using Fender's unpatented designs. So they went all out. The bodies and necks were hand cut. (No CIC in 91). The neck pockets are really nice.

The disinformation is that the bodies were cut and sanded in Ensenada and the necks were done in Carona. Not true! The guitar was made in the USA.

It was discontinued because the market place was in love with Charvels's and Ibanez.

Fender secured it's patents by acquiring Charvel and several other companies.

The Prodigy is a light. versital guitar that has a unique sound and is a pleasure to play. The fact that it was only made for one year makes the 91 Prodigy collectable. The 92 had a Kahler locking bridge and nut.

You can play jazz, rock, country, blues......anything on the 91. The 92 is a shredder only.

The 91 Prodigy is a great guitar that represents a significant period at Fender and in ten years will be worth a lot of money. A one year production guitar that is perfect in every way!

I'm in love with mine and I'm holding onto it! I suggest you do the same!

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:50 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I own a 91 prodigy. Changed all the pickups with LS and PAF, it's definetely a keeper for me.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:20 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I got a Fender Prodigy too, with Kahler tremolo. But mine has the input jack and two tone controls like a regular strato. Does somebody know about it? I couldn't find anotherone like this.