It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: White Covers to fit Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I would like to buy 3 white (not aged white) pickup covers to be used on a set of FenderVintage Noiseless Pickups for a Strat. I believe that the part number for the 52mm bridge is 0053339010. My guess is that the part number for the 50mm middle/neck is 0053329010. I haven’t been able to find the middle/neck covers in white.

If I have to go with aftermarket, my concern is with the height. This set may work: https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/White-Strat-Pickup-CoverKnobsSwitch-Tremolo-Arm-Tips50mm-or-52mm-Pickup-String-Spread_p_729.html.

I measured the height of a middle Strat Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickup cover that I have install in a MP Tele Plus and it is 11mm from the top of the flange (the part where the height adjustment screw goes through). So, initially I thought maybe those cover sin that link would work. But the “flange” on the Fender Vintage Noiseless is really thin. My guess is that its about 1 mm at the most. If so, these pickup covers may not allow the pole pieces to go all the way through.

I’m hoping someone has some idea. Thank you very much for the help.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: White Covers to fit Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am looking for the same thing, but I don't want to part with the Fender look. Don't know what to do.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Those covers will kinda' work, but they are too tall. The ears bottom out on the mounting plate before the top seats onto the bobbin.
A solution would be to carefully cut the covers down (removing the ears and a couple of mm of the "skirt"), and then attach them to the bobbins with a small dab of silicone.
By comparison, the Hot Noiseless coils are a bit taller than standard and those covers work just fine.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:36 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Gentlemen, thanks for helping. It is very disappointing that Fender won't sell the covers to us. I pretty much can't understand why. I like the look as well. And isn't it free marketing? Perhaps some people would just go and buy Area's instead (of course they'll sound different). I mean why sell ONLY the bridge cover in white? Anyway, I am thinking about buying the generic covers in that link. I'd have to figure out a way to trace a line all the way around the bottom about 1.5mm or so, and then use a Dremel and a sanding wheel to grind down the bottom (well from the bottom up) the whole length of the cover. I've used the Dremel and a sanding wheel to make my own pickguard openings. It'll probably work, but it would be a huge pain.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:10 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Mount it up in a vise using spacers under the tabs and a small block of wood inside to keep the sides from collapsing.
Register a hacksaw against the top of the jaws of the vise and slice it right off.