It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What pickups are comparable to the 80s elite pickups?
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey guys....1st post here. I'm another guy here trying for the ty tabor tone. I'm going to pick up a Lab L5 tomorrow. I've also read that ty came out of the L5 into a mesa 2:90 then into some vintage 30s. I have the mesa and V30s. I have a cheap 2016 bullet strat that I acquired last sunday and thought I might be able to swap in a mid boost and different pickups to help get me where I wanna go. I know very little about what's out there as far as strat pickups. I'm an Ibanez guy. Got quite a few late 80s japan made models. I know ty's signature zion had joe bardens but there's not a chance in hell I'm spending that much for pickups...lol. I've read a little about the 80s elite strat and saw where clapton adapted that setup into his model. Would a combination of lace sensors and a mid boost work or were the elite pickups wound completely different? I'm looking for the best set up for the money as I don't want to put a lot of $$ in this bullet strat.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: What pickups are comparable to the 80s elite pickups?
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I waited a bit to see if there would be an answer from an expert with either the Elite pickups or Ty Tabor - I only know of both, but somewhat superficially. But to get the topic rolling, and totally IMHO:

First of all, a major part of anyone's "signature sound" is the player him/her/itself.
That gives you some leeway with the gear - you don't need to follow the exact features of (insert any player's name) gear up to the basswood body with a maple cap level.
On the other hand, it sets you some conditions for training...

But on the gear. I'd say Lace Sensors are one of the most versatile pickups (should I call them tools?) FMIC has to offer - they don't have a typical, recognizable sound character, they just sound good. Coupled with the mid boost, the limits come from the player, not the pickups. And they're quiet enough, so you can leave the dummy coil out of the wiring. :wink:

BTW, seems youtube has quite a lot of vids teaching the TT style & sound.