It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Jazz Bass Pickup Identification
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello, I recently purchased a used set of Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass pickups from a pawn shop. How can I tell if they're the real thing or if someone put their old stock pickups in the box when they upgraded?

The instructions say there will be a blue dot on the back of one pickup and a red dot on the back of the other, but neither of mine have dots. Is this a clear sign or are some legitimate pickups without dots?

The new ones come with cloth cables but mine came in an older box and have regular cables. Were they always cloth?

There are no shiny stickers on the pickup covers like I see in some pictures online.

The specs say the pickups should read on my multimeter at 7.1k neck and 7.4k bridge, but mine read 7.4k neck and 7.6k bridge. Is that close enough?

What do you think? Thanks.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Jazz Bass Pickup Identification
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:38 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I think you better damn well *KNOW* more than the people behind the counter at a pawn shop before you try to ferret out deals there. Sounds like the laughs on you.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Post subject: Re: Jazz Bass Pickup Identification
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:05 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Eh they sound really great to me but maybe it's placebo. I found someone online who said their same pickups didn't have the dots either. I figure the ohms are close enough. I measured my stock 1998 MIM pickups I removed and they were 6.4 and 6.55 ohms, way lower. I'm surprised Fender doesn't print a logo or serial number or any identifying marks whatsoever on their pickups, to deter from knockoffs / replacement scams. And I was hoping for a chart of pickups with their ohms and maybe frequency analysis listed, that would be cool.

And it was an online pawn shop, I don't know jack, just got them in the mail and figured they'd say somewhere on them the make and model like every other object over $50 I've bought in my life. Like I said though they sound great!