It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 5 way super switch differences in rear layer posts?
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi y'all,
I am modding my '97 American Lone Star Strat by adding an S-1 switch and a push/push in an empty pot cutout (I'll drill a hole in the pickguard--I don't mind if the push/push pokes up a bit since the hole isn't very deep).

My Lone Star has a 5 way super switch that has 12 posts on both layers. I am basing my mod on the Elite series. I didn't notice until I was soldering things that the Elite has 12 posts on the top layer of the switch, but only 8 on the back layer.

My question is this: Are the 8 posts on the Elite version of the 5 way super switch the same thing as the middle 8 posts of my Lone Star version? In other words, if I ignore the first 2 posts on the left, and the first 2 posts on the right of the rear layer, would that give me the same functionality as the 8 posts on the Elite series super switch?

I am a newbie at all of this, so your patience is appreciated. I've re-wired my old Kramer Focus 6000 HSS by adding a push/pull volume pot that splits the humbucker. Learning to solder the tiny posts on dpdt on/on switches was an exercise in patience for sure.

Thanks y'all,
Jon

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: 5 way super switch differences in rear layer posts?
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

In short no they are not. There is a combination that you could wire to get the same result but probably easier to replace.
The part is available for around 23 bucks.
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-5- ... 078776000/
The elite is part super switch part standard five way.
If you decide to use your current switch check the net for its operation :D

Post subject: Re: 5 way super switch differences in rear layer posts?
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Jimmy_James!

I just ordered the elite version of the super switch. I am really hoping to get some really good resources on just how to wire up the super switch that my Lone Star Strat has (12 posts front, 12 posts rear, including commons) but I am having a tough time getting something that clearly describes the possibilities when adding toggles. I don't think that I'll need more than the S-1 and the push/push the elite uses, but I'd like to learn more in case there is. Just for fun if nothing else.

Any ideas where to start? I'm scouring various pickup brands' websites and some strat forums, but cannot get a clear description/diagram of exactly what everything is AND how they interact.

J