It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: I'm Addicted To Fender Acoustics !
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Ever since I got my new, Fender DG-60 a couple of weeks ago, all I've been doing is playing that along with my Mahogany CD60CE. I haven't been touching any of my Electrics at all and am considering selling them along with my Roc-Pro 700 so I can go and buy a Fender Acoustasonic 90 amp . IMO, Fender Acoustics are highly underrated guitars and are great deals for the buck. At my age (55) I'm now done with the band scene anyway and am considering doing a solo gig anyway. Any of you have any Fender Acoustics and if so, what are your opinion of them ?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: I'm Addicted To Fender Acoustics !
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:20 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I rather liked Fender acoustics, back when they still produced them stateside. These days... well, there are worse choices, but...

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:54 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions Arth. I'm totally happy with the 2 that I currently own. I know they're all produced overseas now but, I don't have a problem with that. The quality of the build on mine are just superb and considering the price of both of them ( $159.99 and $299.99 respectively ) , I think I got a great deal on both of them. I am definitely going to get rid of my Roc-Pro 700 so I can get a Acoustasonic 90 amp , which I've heard makes a good amp for electrics as well. So I will probably keep my 2 electrics for future use.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:18 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

arth1 wrote:
I rather liked Fender acoustics, back when they still produced them stateside. These days... well, there are worse choices, but...

Thank you, Arth1, for pouring vinegar into someone's corn flakes. Your contributions in that regard are noted.

I am the proud owner of two of these "but..." acoustics; an F250 and an F270CE. Both were made in Korea, c. 1985-6 and both are excellent-playing, excellent-sounding acoustic guitars. One acquaintance of mine who is a well-noted Brand Snob (read that title in an RP Accent) condescended to play my F250 at a jam session one evening and said it compared favorably with his high-end Martin and mid-grade Taylor as far as playability and tone...not necessarily better, but definitely favorable.

The F270CE (which was abused by a former owner) is slightly less "full" and "ringing" as far as acoustic tone, but the built-in pickup (with volume, tone and notch filter) makes it a good choice for electrified acoustic excursions.

Are there nicer/better acoustics out there?
Well, yes...but for the money, these instruments are hard to beat.

Since I pretty much have any and all Steel String Dreadnought needs covered, I haven't tried or played too many of the recent offerings Fender is building; however, based on the instruments I currently own, I would certainly give the newer Fender acoustics a swing before dismissing them with an arrogant "meh..."

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:02 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Screamin Armadillo wrote:
arth1 wrote:

Thank you, Arth1, for pouring vinegar into someone's corn flakes. Your contributions in that regard are noted.

When our opinion is solicited, we should not give it unless it's entirely positive?

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

arth1 wrote:
arth1 wrote:

When our opinion is solicited, we should not give it unless it's entirely positive?

No, it does not have to be entirely positive. In fact, if you have specific dislikes or specific negative experiences, that might be a good addition to the conversation.

My comment was directed at you because it seems that you revel in being the first commenter as well as the first person to dampen the enthusiasm of others for their instruments, a song, a genre or a style...not just on this thread, but others as well. This is somewhat disheartening.

You made a general, "For the most part, these are beneath me..." statement. Condescending, or at least "damning with faint praise."

If you have a specific complaint about Fender acoustics (new, old or in-between), state it. However, you are dismissing an entire class of instruments (many/most of which you have not even played) without evidence (anecdotal or actual).

That is what inspired the "vinegar" comment.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

SA , I don't think Arth meant any harm with his comment. He is entitled to his opinion just like anybody else concerning this subject. Maybe he has tried the current crop of Fender Acoustics and they just don't appeal to him and if that is the case, then he has the right to say so. I'm not taking sides here but just trying to be fair concerning this, that's all.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a Korean made California series Malibu I bought brand new in 93 or 94. I absolutely love it, every time I look into maybe upgrading I end up stopping my search and going home to old reliable.

I just recently installed a fishman matrix infinity pickup and it sounds even better. I love the "strat" style neck and headstock, it really is a quality built guitar that looks good, plays good and sounds good.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:23 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

My comment was directed at you because it seems that you revel in being the first commenter as well as the first person to dampen the enthusiasm of others for their instruments, a song, a genre or a style...not just on this thread, but others as well. This is somewhat disheartening.

Go for the man, not the ball?

You made a general, "For the most part, these are beneath me..." statement. Condescending, or at least "damning with faint praise."

If you have a specific complaint about Fender acoustics (new, old or in-between), state it. However, you are dismissing an entire class of instruments (many/most of which you have not even played) without evidence (anecdotal or actual).

I stand by what I said. I liked the old American Fender acoustics, and there are worse than the current lot. That's my opinion.

Have I tried all of them? No. Neither have you nor anyone else here, I would wager.

I did spend a couple of hours in GC as late as last week, mostly in the acoustic section. I do need a new 6-string as a replacement for a lost Takamine Ltd. I wasn't too keen on any of the guitars I tried - the Fender ones were "okay", but no more than that. There was a pretty good used Godin, but the price couldn't be justified. So I'm still looking. And I stand by that the current batch of Fenders aren't the worst, and not as I remember the old ones were.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:59 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I went for an acoustic a couple of years ago at the local store, played all in my price range, and ended up with a Fender CF140SCE. It played and sounded the best of a bunch. I was not looking for a Fender. I always thought an Epi Hummingbird would be nice, but it was not close. Enjoy your guitars. (I thought you just got back into electrics.) Cheers. :D

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:10 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

My Sonoran Wildwood IV Doa is a whole lot of guitar for the blowout price I got it at through Musician's Friend. Cheaper than the stock production model. Sound and plays great. Perfect for dipping my toe in the solo acoustic scene around here. I'm perfectly happy with it. A much better acoustic than Fender was making ten years ago. If solo acoustic music was my main gig then I might have looked for something else. Though to be honest the regular production Sonoran I played in store had the most comfortable neck coming from a bass than anything else on the wall. Including Taylor, Takamine, and Martin. I honestly went in looking for a Gretsch 5013CE and wasn't planning on picking up a Fender at all. No store had a Gretsch so I took a chance. Pretty happy I did.

2012 Fender Custom Shop 55 Precision Bass
2012 Fender American Vintage 57 Precision Bass RI
2014 Fender Super Bassman and Bassman 100T/410 Neo

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I've got the Tim Armstrong Hellcat mahogany and it sounds fabulous. Just took it into the studio and ran a mic on it and also ran it through a DI straight into the board. The engineer put one the mic on one side of the mix and the side with the pickup and DI on the other. Sounds fantastic, like two guitars playing in perfect unison. Everyone who's heard it has agreed, from my luthier who did the setup and is classical guy, to everyone in the band. Superb value for the money!

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

G'day Jeffo. My only Fender acoustic is this Hot Rod series Vince Ray "Unlucky 13" with the subtle, understated graphics. I'm a fan of the artist and only got this as a limited edition (1/125) artwork. It's a pretty decent guitar though.

Image ImageImage

I don't really want to put any wear on it, but it's great guitar to play. The neck's nice, the electronics and build quality are good.
I'd certainly consider another Fender acoustic from the Hot Rod range, maybe something like the flame maple beauty. I think they're great value.

Goodonya ...Mark.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:55 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

When I ordered my 2013 Fender CD-60, I was just thinking of an inexpensive acoustic that I can take camping, and camp fires, etc... and not worry so much about it getting banged up. But then I played it, and was absolutely amazed at the tone, and sustain of it for the money.

My buddy has a Taylor, and a Martin...and this CD-60 sounds every bit as good (if not better, in my and his opinion) than the Martin, and well...no match for the Taylor---but it was $1,000.00 cheaper too.

I've complained about the quality of the finish on these boards before though. Sunburst is NOT Sunburst...it is orange. And the stain on the back has a flaw that appears to have happened on a moving line---looks like the stain gun clogged for a breaf second, and missed a spot, then was lacquered over...made it past quality control, out the door, and on my door step.
After playing it, I decided not to send it back (I can live with the cosmetic imperfections).

Since it is made in Indonesia, and it is orange, I decided to name it Jeruk (Indonesian for orange).

It DOES annoy me that "Fender" is putting up with the lack of quality control in Indonesia. :(

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:48 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

While I certainly don't doom every outside-US-made Fender acoustic, I do disagree with the previous - and I have two of those as my campfire guitars; a Fender CD60 and its sister model from Squier (SA something).

There's nothing actually wrong with these guitars; they're real easy to play, don't seem to suffer more than usual from humidity/temperature changes, keep their tuning (after a bone nut&saddle upgrade) and in general they are well worth the way-under-100€ I recall paying for each.

But soundwise, they're really not that fabulous.
The low side lacks bottom and force; the treble is on the verge of sounding shrieky;
the balance and projection are OK (for campfire singalongs) but honestly and IMHO: there's no wow-efect there.

Go to page 1, 2  Next