It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post subject: Re: What exactly did I just buy?
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all, you're right I found this forum thread too since there appears to be NOTHING on this guitar ANYWHERE. I can confirm that the CD is the dreadnought model (thus the heavy bass-iness), and the GC is indeed the Grand Concert shape (brighter, more even tone - good for fingerstyle, and more intimate type settings - and easier to hold).

Random story, this was a total impulse buy for me - I play mostly fingerstyle, and I've got a Guild DV-52 (dreadnought - the bass on the thing is like a friggin' cannon) ... still love it, but been looking a LOT lately at the Taylor Grand Auditorium and Grand Concert shapes, since they provide a much more even tone. I had just bought a nice condenser mic and my Guild sounded like it was going to blow it off the stand.

But the Taylors are like $3,000 ... I spotted this one and the tag said "Grand Concert" for 300 bucks? I'll take it. Must say, I am *really* impressed at how good the Asian stuff is getting. The quality and workmanship are beautiful on this guitar, setup is nice and low... very nice, even tone, and it's sounding *really* great going into the mic. Absolutely amazing for the price.

Great to test out the Grand Concert shape for so much less $$$ after playing dreads my whole life. Loving it. It might even stop me from buying that Taylor for awhile, maybe... haha

Anyway yes, it's Grand Concert and there doesn't seem to be nearly as many of them out there. The one I got was the only one they had at my store, but they had like 5+ CD models.

Fender Play April 2019
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just spotted this at my local Guitar Center last night. I played it and was very surprised at how nice it played. Low action, easy neck, etc. Fit and finish were great too! It, unfortunately doesn't sound all that great compared to several other grand concert sized guitars, but they are all $599 and up in price. So for $299, it's a great deal!

I just read that yamaha is coming out with an american A series that includes a rosewood and mahagony concert sized models. They are running $599-899. A bit more but I'd venture a guess to say they sound better too.

I was looking for a grand concert size last year, one that I could actually afford. My favorite Taylor is the GC8 but the chances of me spending $2k+ on a single instrument is NIL!

If I'd found this one, I'd own it already but I ended up getting a Stratacoustic for travel and couch playing purposes. Unplugged its only good for practice but plugged in sounds wonderful and plays like an electric.

Still, this GC140 bugs me, no info anywhere about it, not even at Guitar Center! Strange!
I wish I had the extra cash to just get it, put TUSQ on it and see if some phos/bronze strings might enliven it.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:14 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Fender customer service just emailed me back with these specs on this guitar: (note: Comments: Proprietary model for GC )

Model Name: GC140SCE
Model Number: 096-0706-(021)
Series: Classic Design Series
Source: China
Body Style: Single-Cutaway Acoustic/Electric Fender® Style Grand Concert
Body Depth: 3.5" Front to 4" Rear
Top: Solid Spruce
Back and Sides: Laminated Mahogany
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale Length: 25.3" (643mm)
No. Of Frets: 20
Width at Nut: 1.69" (43mm)
Width at Heel: 2.24" (57mm)
Machine Heads: Chrome, (Die-Cast)
Bridge: Rosewood with Compensated Saddle
Electronics: Fishman® Isys TTM Pickup System with Active On-Board Pre-Amp which Features:
Volume,
Integrated Electronic Tuner with On/Off Switch,
Contour,
Phase,
Low Battery Indicator Light

Finish: Gloss Urethane
Colors: (021) Natural
Strings: Fender® 880L Dura-Tone® Coated 80/20 Bronze Wound strings, Gauges .012 to .052
Unique Features: Dual Action Truss Rod,
Black Pickguard,
Black Binding,
Black with White Dot Bridge Pins,
Dot Position Inlays,
Compensated Urea Saddle,
Gold Silkscreen Logo,
Multi-ABS Inlays on Soundhole
U.S. MSRP: $429.99
Comments: Proprietary model for GC
Introduced: 1/2010
Discontinued:

I played two of them today at GC, one plays great but sound thin, the other sounds big and warm but doesn't play as well. UGH. I don't know what to do about it!

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I bought the same guitar yesterday. After putting some D'Angelico silk and steel (.11-.50s)
and s slight turn of the truss, it plays like butter. The electronics (Fishman) sound great while plugged into my recording board.
For the price, it is very hard to beat, in my opinion. I have every Martin Clapton 000 version, and this one is the one I will use to play out with. It is a very nice guitar, for the bucks.
Mine is flawless, as far as workmanship, finish, etc. Tuners are even smoothe!
The dreadnaught version was too dark (bassy), and I do love the comfort of a grand concert size. :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I know very old post, but they are making a GC140SCE again for Guitar Center. I bought one but did not receive it yet. Most specs are the same, but the ones that are differing are upgrades with the exception of the nut width. It has been changed from 43mm to 41.3mm or 1.69. I am afraid it may to narrow for my fat fingers. I can chord fairly well for a beginner, but I am still worried I may not be able to chord cleanly with it. Maybe I will grow into it. I bought it on comparison to the CC 140SCE but they are not exactly the same but big difference in price.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:34 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Answered that finger/nut question on your other topic, but let's get the current specs here for comparison or as update:
Quote:
GuitarCenter specs GC-140SCE 2018:
Body
Body Material: Solid Spruce Top with Laminated Mahogany Back and Sides
Body Finish: Gloss Urethane
Body Shape: Folk
Bracing: Scalloped X
Body Back: Laminated Mahogany
Body Sides: Laminated Mahogany
Body Top: Solid Spruce
Neck
Neck Material: Mahogany
Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
Scale Length: 25.3" (643 mm)
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Number of Frets: 20
String Nut: Graph Tech NuBone
Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
Position Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl Dot
Truss Rods: Dual Action
Electronics
Controls: Integrated Electronic Tuner with On/Off Switch, Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, Body (Mid-Sweep), Low Battery Indicator Light
Special Electronics: Fishman Presys Pickup System with Active Onboard Preamp and Tuner
Hardware
Bridge: Rosewood with Compensated Graph Tech NuBone Saddle
Hardware Finish: Chrome
Tuning Machines: Die-Cast
Pickguard: Tortoiseshell (Note: black in their ad pic...)
Miscellaneous
Strings: Fender Dura-Tone 880L (.012-.052 Gauge)
Unique Features
Dual action ttuss rod, 3mm dot position inlays, compensated saddle, mother-of-pearl rosette, mother-of-pearl inlaid headstock logo, rosewood headstock veneer and aged bridge pins

Go to page Previous  1, 2