It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: What exactly did I just buy?
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So, I just purchased a brand new Fender Acoustic-Electric GC-140SCE tonight from Guitar Center. It's absolutely gorgeous and plays/sounds great. The problem is, I can't find ANY info for it online. Not from Guitar Center's site, and not even here at Fender's. It looks almost exactly like a CD-140 SCE, except that it has a black pick guard instead of the tortoise shell, and it lacks the 3-band EQ Fishman Aero preamp. Instead, it has a Fishman lsysT preamp with a tuner, phase/contour boosts and a volume knob. Inside the body it's stated that it was made in China and the S/N is 100406325. Any help would be phenomenally appreciated! :D

P.S. Even the sales fella I bought it from said, "Ooh, we JUST got that one in...it's, like, BRAND new."

Fender Play January 2019
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Wow, really? You guys are stumped, too??? :roll:

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:39 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Location: In a house....unless I'm at work....then I'm in a shop.
........................deleted..............

Last edited by Jeffytune on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:41 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Location: In a house....unless I'm at work....then I'm in a shop.
If you load the model number into your google tool bar you will find all kinds of information on it.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:30 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hmm...you might want to re-read my post. As I stated, it's similar to the pic/model you're referring to, but not exactly. Everything is the same(black binding and all), except for the fact that it has Fishman lsysT electronics and a black pick guard. If I load the model number into my Google toolbar, it comes up with tons of info on the :::CD:::140SCE. Not the :::GC:::140SCE. In fact, it comes up with nothing except my post. The case of the mystery guitar continues....

Post subject: I just did the same thing.
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:10 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just bought the same guitar today at my local Guitar Center. I was in the process of buying the CD-140SCE and when he rang it up it said on the register that it cost 400 and something, but the sticker on the display model said it was 289. He changed the price on the register to 289 because they thought the sticker on the guitar was wrong. It wasn't until after I paid for it that we took it out of the box and realized it was a different guitar. It has the same model number as yours the GC-140SCE. Once he realized their mistake he said that I could keep it at the price I paid, I looked it over and decided it was a nice upgrade over the CD-140 and took it home. I too haven't been able to find any info about it. The salesman also noted that it was new but didn't tell me anything beyond that.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It seems you and I are in the same predicament, my friend. Curious, though: you think it's an upgrade from the CD? The CD has a tortoise shell pick guard, and a preamp with an actual EQ. Anyway, you're lucky you got yours for 10 bucks cheaper than mine! Hah. I'm going back to Guitar Center sometime this week to return this crappy bag I bought for it, and I'm definitely gonna ask 'em what's up with this guitar.

P.S. The tag said that it was a Concert Series. So, I can only assume the GC stands for Grand Concert, OR I'm even wondering if it's a Guitar Center exclusive? I hate speculating, so I'll get to the bottom of this sometime this week. Unless, someone can enlighten us before then?

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I assumed it was an upgrade because I asked for the CD-140SCE which cost 289 but through a mix up they brought out the GC-140SCE which on the register said it was 400 and something. It was after i paid that we noticed the mix up but i looked it over and preferred it to the CD-140SCE so i assumed i got a deal by paying 289 for a guitar that should've been over 400 dollars. What did you pay for yours. What gave it away when we pulled it out of the box was that the headstock was a different color and the body had a slimmer waistline than the CD-140SCE. Through my limited experience with guitars thats about all I noticed besides the black pick guard and the lack of the equalizer like you mentioned before. When i went there it wasn't what i was going to get but so far i'm really happy with it. I'd be really interested to hear what you find out.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just bought the same guitar at guitar center ( gc-140sce ). I cant find any info either. Its like it doesnt exist! Mine was priced at 299.00 not 289.00 We bought the cd-140sce first but it was to dark sounding( to much base!) Its a great guitar but I'm still pondering trading it for a g series takamine because my son has one and it has such a great sound and the action is better than any guitar ive ever played! ( not that ive played hundreds of guitars!)
I hope someone that has one, finds out something soon!

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I am making a wild guess ..... but I would bet that you all bought a CD-140SCE that has been altered by Fender to be sold exclusively at Guitar Center - hence the GC in GC-140SCE. I would bet the farm that GC approached Fender about making a guitar "exclusively" for them. GC is the wal-mart of guitars. Lots of mexican, chinese and korean stuff.

Anyone else looking to buy one shouldn't pay more than you would for a normal CD-140SCE - so I would be cautious when you go to pay for it. The people working at GC work on commission and sometimes don't have the best reputation for ethical sales. If fact you should always do some internet research on pricing. Most brick and mortars will match on-line vendors - even the small shops.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

As far as guitar center being the walmart of guitars, I have nothing but good things to say about them! They have great merchandise and their customer service is great! I wouldn't shop antwhere else!

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:58 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

gtrageser1 wrote:
As far as guitar center being the walmart of guitars, I have nothing but good things to say about them! They have great merchandise and their customer service is great! I wouldn't shop antwhere else!

I am sure its store to store.... I have had good and bad experiences at GC. But good luck walking into most GC's and expect to find someone who can talk about the difference between a Standard, American Special and an American Standard Tele.

If you keep your ear to the ground and you know the products yourself, you will find good deals at GC. Last Xmas they were blowing out Fender Champion 600 amps at $99. That's a good deal for that amp.

Mostly I have had to deal with uninformed sales staff. I just caution newer players to do a lot of research on their own before they venture into a GC. You get the wrong sales person and you can walk out getting hosed or with something that won't meet your expectations.

Once you've been in a quality store such as Bananas in San Rafael, California, the local family-owned shop that's been in business for years or a small vintage shop... you just don't care if you ever walk into a GC again.

I only go to GC if I know exactly what I want and what it should actually cost- and typically they don't have it.

Post subject: Re: What exactly did I just buy?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

We still have no answers? I have one and am EXTREMELY curious... :D

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0961405006
Here it is with support downloads.

07 Washburn D10SCE natural with Rosewood backing
Fender Mustang II amp

Experience is the best teacher

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That's still the CD... We have GC different in a few ways....

Go to page 1, 2  Next