It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post subject: Re: Fender Montara Question
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Holty69 wrote:
I've been searching, in vain at this point, for one of these guitars for about 9 months. It doesn't help that I'm in Australia. Not only do they sound great but I think that as an instrument they are one of the most beautiful examples Fender has made (Flame maple with abalone inlay model). I have an 89 Flame maple La Brea but eventually hope to add a Montara. The biggest issue that I have found has been that many US and Canadian stores simply don't even reply to emails, even though I have a US contact I can ship through. Just have to keep on pluggin' away I guess. :wink:

Got my Montara... finally. I've also picked up an AG-10, Black Stratacoustic and Cherry Red Telecoustic.... I have a fetish for acoustics with the strat and tele necks :)

Fender Play February 2019
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:56 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Holty69 wrote:
Holty69 wrote:
I've been searching, in vain at this point, for one of these guitars for about 9 months. It doesn't help that I'm in Australia. Not only do they sound great but I think that as an instrument they are one of the most beautiful examples Fender has made (Flame maple with abalone inlay model). I have an 89 Flame maple La Brea but eventually hope to add a Montara. The biggest issue that I have found has been that many US and Canadian stores simply don't even reply to emails, even though I have a US contact I can ship through. Just have to keep on pluggin' away I guess. :wink:

Got my Montara... finally. I've also picked up an AG-10, Black Stratacoustic and Cherry Red Telecoustic.... I have a fetish for acoustics with the strat and tele necks :)

I also think that a Strat or Tele, all on one side, headstock configuration has a great look. And I'd almost swear that the neck on my Montara and the one on my Band of Gypsies strat are almost identical in feel/smooth playability. Love 'em, would like to see photos of that acoustic lineup you got there.

If I had all the $$ to play with I'd love to have a LaBrea and Malibu to go with my Montara, all in the Tobacco Sunburst that my Montara is.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:07 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Whats up group!
I know I am gonna get some boos on here but I am a Gibson guy. I did a little google searching and I too am amazed by the lack of info on the Fender Montara guitars. I have a solid black 1990 Montara with a 3 band eq and pickup. It is made in Korea. I dont know much about acoustics but this one is like all you guys say is silky smooth to play on! Problem is though, I just dont play it that much. I have had it since 2006. I recently had it shopped and the frets conditioned along with the fret board cleaned up. The neck is straight and true. I would like to find a new home for this guitar so someone will enjoy it instead of it sitting in my living room getting minimal play. My 2 questions are: What is the value for this guitar and is anyone on here possibly interested in it? Thanks guys.
Jason

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

emdf7a wrote:
Whats up group!
I know I am gonna get some boos on here but I am a Gibson guy. I did a little google searching and I too am amazed by the lack of info on the Fender Montara guitars. I have a solid black 1990 Montara with a 3 band eq and pickup. It is made in Korea. I dont know much about acoustics but this one is like all you guys say is silky smooth to play on! Problem is though, I just dont play it that much. I have had it since 2006. I recently had it shopped and the frets conditioned along with the fret board cleaned up. The neck is straight and true. I would like to find a new home for this guitar so someone will enjoy it instead of it sitting in my living room getting minimal play. My 2 questions are: What is the value for this guitar and is anyone on here possibly interested in it? Thanks guys.
Jason

The value is this, whatever you can get. Not being a smart-*ss or anything but you never know what it's worth til you see what you can get for it. The first one I ever saw/played was at a Guitar Center in Chicago, it was priced at $600 and had had a nice flamed maple looking top, couldn't afford it at that time but my search started for one!

They come up periodically on Evil-bay from time to time, priced anywhere from $200 and up. I actually got mine for $250 including a hardshell case. And I've seen them sell for Buy it Now's at $500. You'd have to try I guess.

And btw, the forum rules prohibit selling it on here, just so ya know. They obviously want you to buy new ya know.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,
I am going to purchase a Fender Montara black. Does anyone one the nut size?
Thank you very much
JL

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:52 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,
I got the guitar.
The nut size is 43 mm. I think it is 1 11/16 inch.
It is in great condition. The action is way too high for my taste, so I will lower it.

Regards
JL

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

hello lji0041....how's it going with the Montara?

They're freakin cool is all I know about them. Great feel, lightweight. Rock on. Glad you could get your hands on one. Was it an online purchase or a local shop? Just curious since they're pretty hard to come by.

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:05 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

WI KISSfan wrote:
hello lji0041....how's it going with the Montara?

They're freakin cool is all I know about them. Great feel, lightweight. Rock on. Glad you could get your hands on one. Was it an online purchase or a local shop? Just curious since they're pretty hard to come by.

Hi WI KISSfan, thanks for posting.

I saw the announcement on a local web for second hand products. The guy purchased it in 1993 from a shop in Andorra (You will have to do some google-maps for this small country), I live in Madrid (Spain).
It is in an excellent condition. I only plan to lower the strings, since they have 4,65 at the 12th fret. I paid 180 euro (244 dollar).
Your thread helped me to make the decision. I thank you for that. By the way I am also a KISS fan, I got my hands on an Epiphone Budokan recently.

Best regards
JL

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:48 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have one I bought in a pawn/music store at least 14 years ago. Serial # 91211431 of love to know the value. I do not know how to attach a photo. It has a strat headstock and a curly maple body with rose wood neck.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:24 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I bought my Montara (natural top) new in early 1991. It's been the number 1 acoustic for me through the years. The pickup was never great, but many acoustic electric pickups weren't great in those days. No, I will not trade or sell her. :lol:

I usually keep Martin Marque Bronze 10's on her and she sounds great. I can't remember what I paid but she was worth every penny. (even if the tuners were crappy quality.) It's good to see the Montara owners coming out of the woodwork! She needs some work on the fretboard now, but I'll see about getting some photo up.

Art

Post subject: My Fender Montara in a garden
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:18 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I bought my Fender Montara in the early 90s in Australia, new for about A$1000. Made in Korea. Absolutely loved it but haven't played it for a few years. The body's in great condition although I lent it around a bit so it may not have been kept in ideal environments. I don't even know if the preamp works right now (don't have an amp to test it). Strings are rusty. I'd love to get it set up if anyone knows a good place in Melbourne SE.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3