It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post subject: Fender Montara Question
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:37 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Fender Montara? What's the deal with these guitars? Just try to find some info out on them on the web, non-existant, like they were never made.

I played one in a Guitar Center store about 1 1/2 years ago, but didn't have any coin to pick it up than. Now I just got one that I have at the local luthier's for set up/clean up etc.

The only drawbacks I can see to it are the oval soundhole will not fit a standard "feedback buster" cover. And the battery can only be accessed through the soundhole after loosening all the strings.

But it's all wood construction, arched back, and strat neck make it a very comfortable guitar.

So does anyone know anything about these? Anybody on here have one? I see some people have a huge collection so thought someone might.

I also have a 78 Musicmaster Bass that was rescued from a barn and rebuilt. And a Squier Strat. So I'm anxious to add this to my measley collection.

Thanx for any info you can share.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:44 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

An email to Fender gave me this info:

Model Name: Montara (Sunburst)
Model Number: 094-5732-000
Series: CALIFORNIA - SERIES
Source: Japan/Korea
Body Style: Downsized single cutaway with convex back
Top: Spruce
Back and Sides: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale Length: 25.3" (643mm)
No. Of Frets: 22
Machine Heads: Chrome diecast
Bridge: Rosewood
Electronics: Ceramic pickup with volume control and 3-band EQ, Treble, Mid, Bass
Finish: Gloss
Colors: Sunburst
Unique Features: Strat style headstock
Snowflake position marker inlays
U.S. MSRP: $575 to $695
Introduced: 1990
Discontinued: 1992

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:59 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Still no one has one of these?

Anyone ever heard of them besides me? I just had to get a new preamp system for mine, and it was not an easy process.

One identical to mine just sold on Ebay for $355. I like to look just to see where the sale prices on any Montara's ever goes. I'd really like to have one with the flamed maple top, perhaps if I win the lottery someday. :D

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:59 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

WI KISSfan wrote:

Anyone ever heard of them besides me? I just had to get a new preamp system for mine, and it was not an easy process.

One identical to mine just sold on Ebay for $355. I like to look just to see where the sale prices on any Montara's ever goes. I'd really like to have one with the flamed maple top, perhaps if I win the lottery someday. :D

Sounds like you're a lucky dude! Keep it! If you don't like it, keep it anyways for a rainy day :) You know me, I'm not the one to keep a guitar for value either.

'05 Aerodyne JBass
'06 Spector Legend Custom Neck Through
VT Bass
Hartke TA5000 w/XL Cabs(210, 410, 115)

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:08 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

PowerJazzBass wrote:
WI KISSfan wrote:

Sounds like you're a lucky dude! Keep it! If you don't like it, keep it anyways for a rainy day :) You know me, I'm not the one to keep a guitar for value either.

I consider myself very lucky to have that guitar. The body is nice and narrow, with the strat neck, how can you go wrong? The first one I played was a GC store in Chicago but I certainly didn't have the $600 that they wanted for it. I kept watching Ebay and snagged this one for $250 with a hardcase.

It doesn't sound like a Taylor when you play acoustic but it's my baby. I was not really hyped about the tobacco sunburst color but since I now have a Strat MIM in the same color so it's grown on me.

Luthier has it right now installing the new preamp, can't wait to get it back from him and try it out.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:54 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Good for you! Can't go wrong with something you like and care for.

'05 Aerodyne JBass
'06 Spector Legend Custom Neck Through
VT Bass
Hartke TA5000 w/XL Cabs(210, 410, 115)

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

If you want information on Fender Montara you can either call or email
Fender. The email I was given was dhunter@fender.com. Helps to have
serial number. My fender was the California series, made in Japan and
priced from $650. to $780.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

threejohn2 wrote:
If you want information on Fender Montara you can either call or email
Fender. The email I was given was dhunter@fender.com. Helps to have
serial number. My fender was the California series, made in Japan and
priced from $650. to $780.

What I posted up above was all that Fender sent me about my Montara. Not sure if that was the person.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed in Fender's responses when the preamp went bad on it though. Since the body is pretty narrow on the Montara I wanted to find a similar preamp unit. So I got the specs on the one in a new Sonoran guitar and the width was very similar. I called Fender was told flat out that the preamp was not available and no they didn't have any recommendation for a preamp since they "didn't know much about it"......? I understand that the model has been discontinued for about 20 years so you won't have one laying around the shop but I guess I would think in the interest of customer service you would try to sell me something that would fit.

I check around at local stores and found a Dean A/E guitar with a similar sized pickup, emailed them, got a phone call, ordered the preamp and it was here in 3 days.

I love my Fenders but gotta admit I was surprised at how this was handled.

Post subject: flametop montara
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

i got a flametop montara. a friend of mine who crunched numbers for fender years back bought it for 28 bucks. he GAVE it to me. i have had it for, it seems to me, 15+ years . not only is the top maple , the sides are, and the back is an incredible violinesque mirrored display of beauty. it has m-o-p fret inlays, abalone around sound hole ,and around the entire front(top) the neck of course is maple. im trying to post pics at my space its dscosmicspace@myspace.com[/url]

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

That sounds like a great guitar, it's such a smooth player I can't believe they weren't more popular.

I'd love to see the photos if you can get them to work.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I see this is an old post with some updates last month, but I had one, I loved it very much, but it needed some major work that I did not have the time nor money to get her back to playing. I pretty much wore the fret board out (gouged) from extensive playing). sold mine last year for $150 with original HSC. I would probably buy another one if I had the money and found a deal on one. Here are my pics I used when I sold it
http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt19 ... e/Montara/
Thanks
"86"

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:17 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I can't imagine selling mine, I love the feel and play of it too much. It's just a great guitar.

Thanx for sharing the photos, if you're interested there's two different auctions on Ebay for Montaras exactly like that. In case you're interested and have the $ laying around, both with cases too.

Nice to hear from someone else who appreciated their Montara.

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you, I will go check them out :)
Rock On!!
"86"

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:27 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

So, any luck with those, they both looked pretty nice, one was $200 and one was $300 last I looked, both had hard shell cases too.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:38 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

No, I had a few deal come up that I simply could not pass up : ) I got 3 guitars for for my $325. A Jackson Pro Series Kelly XL, Samick Ray Benson Tele and a Squier Standard series P-Bass Deluxe, once I clean up and sell these, I can look again!!
Thanks
"86"

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next