It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Question: Action: BROWN DERBY RESONATOR
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello, everyone!
First post on the forums: new member, old(-ish) player.
Recently purchased a new piece: BROWN DERBY RESONATOR Model #: 0955006092.
Will post some pics once I get a chance to snap them.
NOTE: Although I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years, this is my first resonator.

Anyways, I have a few questions:
1.) Does anyone have a recommendation for a well-fitting hardshell case? (Not looking to break the bank as I am using a spare dreadnought case for now. Ideally want something form-specific in the future)
2.) Can anyone confirm what size truss rod wrench is needed? (I was going to change strings, but realized there's no point unless I have the correct wrench handy.)
3.) What is a "typical" string height at 12th and 17th frets? (I haven't actually measured mine, yet, but I'm used to various Martin and Gibson dreadnoughts with low factory actions. My reso seems significantly higher than I'm used to. Which is fine for slide work, but it makes "traditional" chord and lead work a challenge.)
4.) Has anyone mounted an upper strap button on theirs? If so, which location did you choose, and how is the balance when playing with a strap?
5.) Tuning stability: Not sure if this is "typical" for resonators? Seems as though tuning an individual string has a significant impact on the remaining strings. So much so that I have to cycle through all six strings two or three times before I'm satisfied. Then, after moderate string bending and vibrato, I end up having to repeat the process all over again.
In any case, thanks in advance for the replies, and glad to be "part of the family."

Fender Play November 2018