It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Best strings for my CC-60SCE ?
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello, what strings do you think are the best for an acoustic? Which ones do you use or like?
Yesterday i went to a guitar shop and asked for their most expensive strings, he gave me some Elixirs 80/20 bronze and they sound great, however i want to try different ones next time, maybe something by Martin? Share your experience with acoustic strings and difference in sound. :wink:

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Best strings for my CC-60SCE ?
Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I've used Martin strings and like them a lot. Nice even sound. For long-lasting durability on a budget, check out D'Addario strings. Elixirs are supposed to last really long too, but as you know they are pricey. I've never tried them for that reason.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:35 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Elixir 80/20s Nano-Web are good strings, the Phosphor Bronze sets are a bit brighter if you are looking to go that way. I get about 3 ~ 4 months out of a set, and I play a lot of acoustic. The Ploy-web ones have a thicker coating.
Do note tho after a few weeks you'll see the coating start to shred off the wound strings. It's normal, but a bit unsightly if that matters at all to you.

D'Addario EJ16s will be good too. Pretty stable, with even output and last a reasonable amount of time (But 6 weeks, it's time for me to change them, so the don't last a real long time IME)

Cleartone strings are also "treated" for long duration though as I recall they are not coated. Life span from what I recall is close to elixirs, but since the are not coated you wont see any shredding on the wound strings.

DR Veritas are another set that I've had good luck with, they are long life strings as well but not coated. I can stretch about 8 weeks or so from a set.

with any coated or treated string, while they may look like they need to be changed, trust your ears as to when. They will keep their tone long after they start to look like it's time. A good sign it's time is you will notice your intonation is starting to slide a bit.

I've not tried Martins for years, but a lot of players like the Retros.

finding the "right" string is almost as much of a journey as finding the right acoustic.

Good luck!

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

IMO, Elixirs are highly overrated and don't last as long as they are pushed to be. I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze which IMO, are the best out there. They have great tone and usually one set will last me about a month.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:27 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jeffo46 wrote:
IMO, Elixirs are highly overrated and don't last as long as they are pushed to be. I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze which IMO, are the best out there. They have great tone and usually one set will last me about a month.

Well i changed them after like 2 and a half month for a new set and barely noticed a difference in sound, they we're still ringing nicely so they were ok (d string kinda dirty)..i play every day only 1-2 hours tho.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:27 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

SoldierScar wrote:
jeffo46 wrote:

Well i changed them after like 2 and a half month for a new set and barely noticed a difference in sound, they we're still ringing nicely so they were ok (d string kinda dirty)..i play every day only 1-2 hours tho.

They will loose their "looks" well before they loose their sound. I can't get 3 to 4 months out of a set of D'Addario EJ16s or Gibson Masterbuilts (which by the way D'Addario manufactures and puts them in a Gibson packaging)

I get a month, to 6 weeks max of use from either. not sure what the highly overrated comments refer to but for sure, they last a long time. I've never been dissatisfied with a set of Elixir NanoWebs