It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Nut Width : 1.625" (41.3 mm) GC-140SCE Too Narrow?
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Guys
I ordered a GC 140SCE from Guitar Center. I thought it was the same specs as the CC140SCE other than the overall size. I haven't received it yet but just found out the nut width is the narrowest of all acoustics I am able to find. I am a beginner player although I can play chords. I suspect this width would be a nightmare for an absolute beginner and am worried if it will be for me. Normally I wouldn't ask such a subjective question however If it were between 1.69 (43mm) and 1.75 I would not bother, but being on the very narrow side, I am worried. Of course for now I am only strumming and assume this small width is mainly for fingerpicking. Thoughts?

Fender Play November 2018
Post subject: Re: Nut Width : 1.625" (41.3 mm) GC-140SCE Too Narrow?
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Raylan Givens wrote:
Thoughts?

First, GC has a return policy, so if you feel your fingers just won't fit, send the guitar back & choose another.
Second, a lot of players with fat fingers play Strats with 1.65" and narrower nuts, and mandolins & such, really well.

As a very personal opinion, and YMMV: The 'my fingers don't fit the stick' issue is a question of getting used to something. More psychological than physical/geometrical.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:43 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I agree with jmattis to an extent.
I can't (for whatever reason) get used to playing the Mandolin...just far too skinny for me. BUT; I have played just about every "nut width" and fretboard radius configuration on guitar out there, and it's just a matter of getting used to whatever you have.
I DO 'prefer' a nut width and string spacing of 1.69, and a 9.5 fretboard radius...but I'm not married to it.

Seven string guitars, and those really wide and flat fretboards, are way too awkward for me as well, so I don't own them or play them...but I suppose I could get used to them if it was all I had.

12' Standard Strat
13' CD-60
15' Standard Strat
15' T-Bucket 300CE Amber
15' Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
17' Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:15 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have received the guitar a truly love it. The nut width is just fine. I am a beginner so had no true preference just kind a worried I would have trouble with fingering chords, but it is great. Great sounding guitar and stays in tune.