It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Stratacoustic help
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:21 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello, I recently stumbled upon a Fender Stratacoustic guitar, but I cannot find out when this guitar was made. I had detached the neck from the body and found a date and a letter ( cApril02 ) I had looked on the Official Fender Serial number check as well but nothing showed up for it, the serial number is CC02055050. I would like some help trying to pinpoint this guitar.

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Stratacoustic help
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:25 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi. Dominick. Fender dating with global production, corporate history, mixed necks and bodies, and what not can be difficult at times.

I found this thread from some years back that might be a clue, although not a definite answer. There are similarities though when it comes to serial number and origin.

viewtopic.php?t=6134

Based on that info, two serial (number) letter Cs appear that it is Chinese, yours being CC02055050. That would possibly put the date, all things being equal which is uncertain, as May (CC02055050) and 2002 (CC02055050). Day is not clear but could be the 5th. since the digit 5 is prominent.

Therefore, May 5, 2002 is a possible (but again not certain) candidate for the date of your guitar's build. This would also verify the approximate date from your letter.

Then again . . . :wink:
FSB

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:01 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

No, the exact date is not hidden in a davincicode style inside the serial number.

The first C tells it's made (or crafted) in China, the second C tells the manufacturing plant, 02 the year 2002 (give or take a few months), but after that it's just a random identification number.

Edit: Those Far East guitars are not well documented in the serial number databases. Try emailing Fender consumer relations; for a 2002 guitar they should be able to help.

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jmattis wrote:
No, the exact date is not hidden in a davincicode style inside the serial number.

The first C tells it's made (or crafted) in China, the second C tells the manufacturing plant, 02 the year 2002 (give or take a few months), but after that it's just a random identification number.

Edit: Those Far East guitars are not well documented in the serial number databases. Try emailing Fender consumer relations; for a 2002 guitar they should be able to help.

You are so right the whole system is confusing. One would think CN would stand for Chinese production but CN can be found made elsewhere - even on axes made in USA as some have reported.

While CC can be Chinese with a factory location designation, in some cases CC may be used for a specific walnut Strat. 1981/82/83

Combining a country's name tag, decal, or engraving narrows it down if it is to be trusted, however.

S can represent a decade or not.

E can be found on both sides of the pond

Serial lettering and numbering can often be further analyzed by knowing where certain branded models are said to be most often originated with their manufacturing. All bets are off if they get farmed out to another country from there, however. Usually they coincide, but not always.

The case with Samick is that they built for American companies, bought Young Chang that used the first two numbers as year, merged with a couple of German companies that had Chinese ties, invested in other musical companies (mostly for pianos), and built for Gibby and others.

. . . and so on.

CBS's early affiliation with Fender didn't help organization or serial numbers either.
It's probably best to meet the guy or gal that built the guitar if you want to know it's history. It's like putting a Rolls hood ornament on a Yugo. Or USA on a fraudulent import. Or global parts in a car. After all, what's in a name or a sticker or serial number? Even Fender doesn't always know. Quality? Well, that's a kettle of fish. There's good fish and bad fish on both sides of the pond. It's all about trust or a guess at best. :P But, it sure is fun. :D
FSB