It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: nylon string guitar for small hands
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:09 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

as you may have guessed, I have been blessed (?) with small hands. I would like to buy a nylon string guitar to add to my collection-I just love the sound!

every one I have tried in local stores have bigger necks, making it difficult to play. does anyone know of a guitar- fender or otherwise- that is geared toward someone like me? I'm, not looking for a high end model-just something I can play around with.

as always, thanks for any help you can offer.

Fender Play October 2018
Post subject: Re: nylon string guitar for small hands
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Are your technique is correct ? Many if not most guitar player I see have wrong technique.

Few guitar found with Google; Is there any nylon ? I don't know
http://www.guitarfella.com/best-acousti ... all-hands/

https://www.guitarchalk.com/best-acoust ... all-hands/

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:29 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I've been playing since 1960, both acoustic and electric, so technique is not an issue. just seems that the ones I try have a wider neck. I have mild arthritis, and my hands can't stretch real far. my martin acoustic and my strats are easy to play for me.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:30 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I can't help directly, since I don't like too thin necks on an acoustic.

But, since you don't aim for a perfect classical sound/guitar (Taylor makes those, for a couple thousand bucks...) you might test drive your favorite acoustic steel stringer with nylon strings; use a wooden (or glass) bead in the string end under the bridge. Some guitars respond quite well to the nylons, others go bland - but the cost of the test is one string set + six beads + time it takes to do the switch...

Anyways, this is the Fender Forum, so the first choice of course should be from their selection. Maybe the CN-140S model..?

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:08 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi !
My hands are not very small- still I prefer the feel of an acoustic steel-strings neck to a neck from most nylon-stringed guitars. A couple of years ago I came across an Ibanez GA 35 TCE bkn (black)
This is a kind of cross-over/hybrid , feels very much like playing a steel-stringed. Pretty cheap, but IMO quite high quality. The body is a thinline- pretty comfy to use on stage, with onboard mike/preamp/tuner. Sadly I suspect they are discontinued recently, but you might find one in a shop or online. (I guess Ibanez have come up with a decent follow-up)
In this vid you can at least see how it looks. Recommended !

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

asgeirman wrote:
A couple of years ago I came across an Ibanez GA 35 TCE bkn (black)
This is a kind of cross-over/hybrid , feels very much like playing a steel-stringed. Pretty cheap, but IMO quite high quality. The body is a thinline- pretty comfy to use on stage, with onboard mike/preamp/tuner.

I have one of those (in brown), and like it a lot. I've lowered the bridge, added strike plates, and use it for flamenco guitar. That it's thinline cuts the sustain, which is a good thing for my use.

However, it's not a particularly small neck coming from an electric or steel string perspective. The scale length is 65 cm (25.6", which is the closest metric equivalent to 25.5") , so the reach between frets is ever so slightly more than a Strat. The nut width is 46mm (1 13/16"), which is about 2/16" more than a typical Strat neck, and the same as the widest Martin necks. It's a very good guitar for the price, but for small hands, I'd try it first, because it's on the bigger side as far as crossovers go.

asgeirman wrote:
Sadly I suspect they are discontinued recently, but you might find one in a shop or online. (I guess Ibanez have come up with a decent follow-up)

No, they still make it, but there's a new version of it that might not have hit the stores. They've cut the costs a slight bit, now offering only one colour (dark violin sunburst), using white melamine nut and bridge instead of synthetic bone, and nickel strap mounts instead of gold plated ones. But as an improvement for most crossover players, the new model has a satin neck back and sides instead of glossy.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Nice. Congrats with your good taste :D I have a few friends that have tried mine - and every one of them loved it! One even bought one (he is a dedicated swedish nylon-player and folk-singer) despite having some far more expensive guitars. Last time I talked to him, he said he loved the Ibanez more and more.
I have also lowered the bridge. I think it sustains well , but I don't have much experience with nylons.

Quote:
However, it's not a particularly small neck coming from an electric or steel string perspective. The scale length is 65 cm (25.6", which is the closest metric equivalent to 25.5") , so the reach between frets is ever so slightly more than a Strat. The nut width is 46mm (1 13/16"), which is about 2/16" more than a typical Strat neck, and the same as the widest Martin necks. It's a very good guitar for the price, but for small hands,....

That's correct. But the feel of the neck isn't only about the width, it also depends on the shape of the neck. I have tried some ''nylons'' over the years, and they all feel thicker and more clumsy than the Ibanez.
I've also got a Recording King ROS 6 steelstringed (Parlor?) with the same neck-width which really feels more clumsy. But it's got it's charm :) But I agree it's not as good as my strats and tele's, neither of them. IMHO

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

asgeirman wrote:
But I agree it's not as good as my strats and tele's, neither of them. IMHO

For flamenco, it easily beats my other guitars, including all my Fenders[*] :)
It's been ages since Ibanez was a Spanish maker, but they've looked back to the Spanish roots for this one, because it works really well for faster play styles.

[*] The compound radius Tele Select HH works surprisingly well for rasgueando and five-finger fingerpicking though, due to the almost flat radius at the bridge and slightly wider string spacing than most Strats/Teles.

Anyhow, Cordoba also has a Fusion series of nylon strings where you have a choice of 25.6" and 25.2" scale lengths. They have a thin neck and radiused fretboard, making it easier for smaller hands. Having frost giant hands, I can't say from experience with small hands, but the couple of times I've borrowed one during a jam, they've played great.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:52 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Here they suggest the Yamaha JR1

https://www.thetbank.com/the-lowdown/best-acoustic-guitars/

Never played that myself but I have a FG800M which it's based on and it is a really nice guitar

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:43 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a few friends that have tried mine - and every one of them loved it! One even bought one despite having some far more expensive guitars.
I have also lowered the bridge. I think it sustains well , but I don't have much experience with nylons.

You can find it here here: http://playyourbeat.com/

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've been playing for over 45 years. When I started, I never even thought that my small hands would keep me from playing. It was only when I got a lot better that I realized that I still couldn't play some things and it wasn't due to lack of ability or practice. So I just find a different way to play than what's in the book. Who's going to notice that I left out a note or played a chord in a different position? Maybe an instructor, but nobody else.

Short scale guitars can help. Obviously nut width and neck profile matter too.
Have a look to this guitars selection: https://www.musicskanner.com/best-acous ... pic-guide/

Anyone who thinks that small hands don't make a difference hasn't had to deal with it. But you can still be a good player no matter what your reach is.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Acquiring an acoustic guitar has been all approximately the activities you may need in addition to what you must play. There is always no way to suggest anything any you’re certainly not happy and. The top method to find can be towards visit some sort of music store yet purchase the guitar that may sense right in your trusty hands.

Got a good resource for acoustic guitar, But I'm little confused which guitars are nylon strings.
Web Page of that acoustic guitar is- https://www.guitaristview.com/best-acoustic-electric-guitar-reviews/

I love to play guitar. My personal experience for nylon string guitar is very good. Before using nylon strings I usually play steel string guitar that was really painful. It can be rather inevitable this that fingers achieve painful when you might be commencing away through guitar playing.

I got some special suggestion from a website named https://www.guitaristview.com/

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

They talk about strings on this website too

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

camahubii wrote:
They talk about strings on this website too

Whoa slick spam, didn't see that coming at all. :roll: