It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1979 F-65 Broken Truss Rod - repair?
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:09 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 1979 F-65. Through hubris and ignorance I have broken the truss rod. The Repair shop says it is not worth the repair which will be $500 or more.

It seems to me I can heat up the fret board to loosen the glue...and thereby remove the fret board and replace the broken truss rod. I think the rod It is snapped at the headstock end..not the heel end.

Any thoughts. I am not particularly invested in this guitar, I bought it for very little, knowing it had some issues...but it is too beautiful to turn into fire wood.

Also...F-75 coming soon.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: 1979 F-65 Broken Truss Rod - repair?
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:58 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

BasementBob wrote:
It seems to me I can heat up the fret board to loosen the glue...and thereby remove the fret board and replace the broken truss rod.

You could, but unless you are a decent woodworker and familiar with getting the neck reassembled properly... that's why the luthier estimated $500, you are paying for their experience, skills, and their investment in tools.
Check around, you may be able to find someone who can do it for less, but check references... "cheap" often means "bad"

If it is broken right at the end where the threads begin, you might be able to counterbore and thread the end of the rod to get the nut on. How much of the rod comes out if you extract the nut?
StewMac sells the tools needed to do this... of course, not cheap.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:00 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Here are the pictures of the snapped truss rod. It is snapped right at the Allen key lock.
Doesn't look like there is any thread left on the broken rod to reconnect the lock.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:57 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ya, that could possibly be saved, but I'm not sure that the guitar would be worth the expense unless it has sentimental value.

Here's the repair on a Gibson... headstock end, but the same procedure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-MLj1G5rE8