It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Acoustic DG-8S String Tuner
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have been struggling trying to replace one of the "string tuner machine"(string tuner) of
this Guitar. It seems to me that the generics replacement parts do not fit in it. As a matter of fact, the old string tuner got broken and I am not sure if the guitar has originally designed so the "thread" stay into the wood when the string tuner is removed. I cannot solve this issue. Should I remove this "thread" using "brutal force"? Or is there a replacement part that fits into it? Help me please!

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Acoustic DG-8S String Tuner
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:55 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

OK, let's start with terminology. I'm gessing that the "string tuner machines" means 'tuning machines', often called just 'tuners'; and the "thread" is the metal bushing that stays on the headstock when the tuner is taken out.

The bushings can be very tightly stuck on the headstock, and "brute force" could lead to damaging the tuner hole, headstock finish or even something worse.
The best way would be to get an original replacement tuner. Fender Consumer Relations might know the part number (remember the 3+3, left/right), but you could also get one from ebay&such with the guitar's model number. That way you would not need to remove the bushing.

The second best way is to get a "generic" tuner with exactly same dimensions as the old one. You have five tuners on the guitar and one off it; measure them with a caliper and go fishing.

The third option is to remove the bushing. Googling with "remove guitar tuner bushing" will give you plenty of instructions, but remember to take your time and be careful.

Post subject: Re: Acoustic DG-8S String Tuner
Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Sounds like you're out of your wheel house with a "Do It Yourself" repair.

jmattis gives you the best advice you're probably going to need.

I'll up the anti a little.. Are you in a location where there are any stores or people that do setups and repairs?

If the answer is YES, just make a few phone calls,, this is not rocket science but you do need to have some level of know-how to prevent getting in over your head.

New machine heads and replacing them is not MAJOR surgery, but finding EXACT matching replacement parts may or may not be as easy as it seems.

There's also Fender Customer Service, but that can be like listening to crickets on a july evening at times.

Good luck!