It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Squire Contemporary Strat HH with active pickups
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This is a new line from Fender and this is my first guitar with active pickups. My immediate question is that there is very little effect of the tone control over the sound of the pickups. The tone control, even when all the way off, seems to only roll of the highest overtones. The pups are bright without a lot of mids, which is contrary to what I've seen reviewed on youtube about this guitar in which there were complaints of being too muddy.

For those who have guitars with active pups, does this sound normal?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Squire Contemporary Strat HH with active pickups
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi, and sorry for the very late answer.
Took a while, because I asked for (and got) the wiring diagram for the guitar.
While there are some surprises (like, the pickups themselves are the active component instead of a more common separate PCB), I see no reason the tone pot should do what you describe.

My best guesses; either the pot or the "223" cap (.022 µF) is faulty.
On a new guitar, you should be covered by warranty, so take/send it back to the shop for a check up and (most likely) to get another similar guitar, or (possible, but not as likely with Squier Contemporaries) a repair.
The downside is, you may have to wait before all is OK. Have patience, and remember big ships like FMIC take time to turn.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:51 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Mine is doing the exact same thing so you are not alone. What I wonder is why these active pickups are using 500k pots instead of 25k like all the other active pickups I’ve run across. I’ve checked both Seymour Duncan and EMG website. They both use 25k pots. Could this be the problem? Help would be nice on this subject.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:36 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

First, I'm no electronics wizard, so proceed with caution. :wink:

But AFAIU(nderstand), active electronics can be designed different ways, so some may need the 25kΩ (or 50kΩ as the Clapton Strat), some 250kΩ to 500kΩ, or whatever. So, I don't think it's the value of the pots that causes the symptom - I'd rather guess it's something to do with the curve of the pot's function...

The problem here seems not to be a common issue with the ContActHH Squier, so that's why I'm thinking there's a defect with the individual guitars - would be nice to know what's happened with mmcwill's guitar, and if either of you have tested another guitar of the same model.

If I'm right, the help here on the forum is pretty much guessing, and the same applies if either of you contacts Fender Consumer Relations. Proper diagnosing would mean taking the guitar to an authorized repair shop for a check up & repair, but when we talk about this price class instruments, a replacement guitar is the more common & likely outcome.

Anyways, here's the wiring diagram, courtesy of Kevin C @ Fender Consumer Relations:

Last edited by jmattis on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:35 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for your input and the schematic. I see they use a log pot for the volume and an audio pot for the tone. I wonder why? Perhaps changing the tone pot to a log type will make a difference. To answer your question, I have not tried another one because I buy all my guitars from either Sweetwater or Musicians friend. Where I currently live is very rural and the closest music store is about 2 hours away. Thanks for you input.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:24 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

You're welcome, glad if I was any help.

I always get confused with the A500K, B500K, D500K markings, especially when one can never be sure if an FMIC product has US or Asia coded markings. 8)
Anyways, audio is logaritmic everywhere, the other one is linear.
By common "rules", the volume pot "should" be audio taper, the tone pot linear - but as I said, I'm no electronics wizard, and least of all with active pickups.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

From my understanding EMG builds the Squier humbuckers for Fender judging the 81 and 85 prefixes on the wiring diagram.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Rock Icon, that would be totally awesome if EMG did make them. They are great pickups!!

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:54 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have no idea who made the pickups (on economically priced Fenders & Squiers these days, it's usually Booheung), but the door has been opened so I just gotta ask…
Does the sound get worse, if they are not made by EMG..? :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was disappointed that the white one comes with a black pickguard and vice versa. I decided I wanted an all-white body so I started to order a white pickguard for it, but then decided that a little subdued color splash would be nice so I ordered a three-ply mint-green pickguard for it.

I think it gave it a really slick, vintage look. The black-chrome hardware really pops against the white/green aesthetic!

Because of the reverse/left-handed headstock, I also replaced the headstock decal with a custom-made Hendrix homage decal.

I have to say I LOVE the Indian Laurel fretboard. I was a little suspect of it instead of Rosewood, but I think it quite streakily beautiful! Overall It's a beautiful guitar and quite a lot of fun to play.