It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: EC Custom Shop Tuners
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I'm new to the board, been lurking a while but finally had a question worth asking (I hope..lol). I have two CS Strats, a '59 Candy Apple Heavy Relic and a Clapton Mercedes Blue. Love the play-ability of both and very much enjoy the subtle differences between the two. My question is regarding the tuners on the EC; the spec sheet shows I have Fender/Gotoh vintage style tuners. I was a little surprised to find that they were non-locking; the '59 came with locking tuners. Not a criticism, was just curious as to why the standard tuners on a CS guitar. Am I missing something or would it be OK to have locking tuners installed? I understand it's my guitar and I can do whatever I want but was seriously wondering if I was missing something here.. If I were to change them out, any suggestions to what?

Thanks!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: EC Custom Shop Tuners
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
You may/may not get an answer from the shop directly on this.
Many CS guitars do not have locking tuners.
In fact the 59 would be an exception rather than the norm since they often stick to period correctness.
As for the Clapton these probably would have been specified by the master himself.
Lots of things like color etc. are, and the Custom Shop would have gone with it.
There have been subtle changes over the years.
If you replace them keep the originals and make sure you buy ones that have the right size tuner hole :D