It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
Post subject: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:40 am
Offline
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 am
Posts: 5
I am writing here to see if anyone knows what seems to be the cause for the problem I have with my Blues Deluxe Reissue amp. The problem: 99% of the times I turn on the standby-switch, no sound comes out of my Amp. The light turns on, the tubes get warm, I can hear a very very light humming from the voltage if I turn on the standby-switch, but there is absolutely no sound. Not one repair shop could help me.

Seems like a thing that could have many causes. That is where my problem lies, because every time I had it for repair (now about 3 times at different places, including the supposedly best amp repair shop in my whole country), the problem did not occur, and every other thing was perfectly well too. Here is what they tested: Disassembly of the amp, visual inspection, voltage test, testing for problems for 6 days: testing of switch contacts (everything alright), cleaning of socket and switch contacts, cleaning of tube sockets and new soldering of the ribbon cable plug, testing of the tubes etc. Everything was alright, but to be sure they put in a new standby-switch and a new speaker jack.

They said it would be my cables or Instruments. So I started testing what could cause it and comparing it to my other amps I have around, of which one is also a tube amp. I have tested it with 5 different cables, including a new bought Fender cable. All worked fine but not with my Fender amp. I have tested 4 different guitars with the same result: All work perfectly fine, except with that specific amp. I put the cable straight into the amp, to exclude the possibility of my pedals causing the problem. So with the results from the repair shop I concluded it could only be attributed to my power supply at home. In my specific case it is 230V/50Hz with a C-Plug for which the amp is also built here. I thought that was it, because when the amp turns on once every 3 months, I always heard a very loud pop. But since the problem occured, I have moved to another city and including my practice room, there were already 3 completely different places where the amp was not working. All tested directly plugged into the wall and also with cable connectors at all sockets that were in the rooms and house. All other amps, including huge head+cabinet amps, worked fine.

I am very frustrated by now. My warranty expired, but they also did not want to refund a "perfectly fine" amp. I really like the sound of the amp, so I also thought of buying a new one and trying to sell my old one, but I fear the problem would just occur again, as no part of my amp is apparently damaged or non-functioning.
This is kind of my last resort to maybe find a solution or at least a cause for my problem. So I am writing here and asking for your help.

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings


Top
Profile
Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:37 pm
Offline
Rock Star
Rock Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 6515
These techs tested the input section (including the jacks)?


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:26 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 9631
Location: Indiana
Is it the same using either input, 1 or 2? Try plugging directly into Power Amp In, any difference?

_________________
---> "The amp should be SWITCHED OFF AND UNPLUGGED before you do this!" <---

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:12 am
Offline
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 am
Posts: 5
shimmilou wrote:
Is it the same using either input, 1 or 2? Try plugging directly into Power Amp In, any difference?

I tested all inputs, and also the Power Amp In.
BMW2002Ti wrote:
These techs tested the input section (including the jacks)?

As far as I know, everything was tested.

The thing which is the strangest for me is that sometimes the amp works just fine. I don't know if that would be the case if anything was broken tube-, or input-wise...


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:57 am
Online
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 13536
Location: Province de Québec, Canada
Plug a patch cable ( or guitar/ pedal cable) between " Amp In" and "Amp Ou. jacks. Report

Sometimes contacts become oxidized and connections between preamp and power amp do not work.
A cable will by- pass these oxidized contacts.

Its happened to one of my customers


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 9631
Location: Indiana
At this point, it is time to open it up and check some voltages. It should be easy to diagnose when it isn't working.

Plugging into the Power amp in will serve the same purpose as using a cable to jumper to the Pre out.

_________________
---> "The amp should be SWITCHED OFF AND UNPLUGGED before you do this!" <---

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:43 am
Online
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 13536
Location: Province de Québec, Canada
shimmilou wrote:
At this point, it is time to open it up and check some voltages. It should be easy to diagnose when it isn't working.



OP write;

" I had it for repair (now about 3 times at different places, including the supposedly best amp repair shop in my whole country), the problem did not occur ......."

I don't know why OP can find the issue in opening the amp :(

I'll play the amp with patch cable plug all the time and see what happen.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:50 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 9631
Location: Indiana
Morimon wrote:
....The problem: 99% of the times I turn on the standby-switch, no sound comes out of my Amp...


While it is not working is the best time to check voltages.

_________________
---> "The amp should be SWITCHED OFF AND UNPLUGGED before you do this!" <---

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 am
Online
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 13536
Location: Province de Québec, Canada
shimmilou wrote:
Morimon wrote:
....The problem: 99% of the times I turn on the standby-switch, no sound comes out of my Amp...


While it is not working is the best time to check voltages.


Ok here what I see;

1- Amp do not not work
2- OP unplug the amp and remove the chassis.
3- Plug the amp to test voltages ; amp work well :lol:

1- That is what 3 amp shop(must) do with no success
2- OP is not a tech and tubes amp has lethal voltage :shock:


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:09 pm
Offline
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:25 pm
Posts: 973
One thing missing from your report is the speaker. I have found intermittent 1/4" plugs and flaky spider wire connections at the cone.
I say this because this kind of thing has bitten me before. I spent so much time fine-toothing the chassis and ignore the possibility its the speaker connections. Sub in a new speaker.
If that doesn't pan out, your key is to develop information when the symptom occurs so you can relay it to a tech. First, when it occurs, do you hear any hiss or noise from the speaker. The transformer will hum a bit, but its the speaker that counts. If there is hiss, tap the power tubes with the back of your fingernail. If that tinkles, move over to the preamp tubes and tap down the line to the right, listening to each one. Where the sound stops is the source of the problem.
If the amp is not making sound, you can turn up the controls and bang out a note. If it starts working, you may have an intermittent control or other connection problem. If you can plug into the PWR amp IN and make it work, there may be a jack problem.
If it still doesn't work, rap sharply with your knuckles on the rear panel to shock the circuitry.
Any information you can find to characterize the symptom will help a tech understand the issue. Especially if you can find a repeatable hack to get it going, that's a good clue. Good Luck


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:13 am
Online
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 13536
Location: Province de Québec, Canada
Morimom,

Tim write a very important thing and a report will be welcome ;

" First, when it occurs, do you hear any hiss or noise from the speaker ? "
____________________

If you don't hear nothing no hiss , no hum, nothing, turn volumes knobs to full power. Listen.
No need to plug a guitar.
A answer to this will tell a lot about the amp issue.


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm
Offline
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 am
Posts: 5
Sorry for the late reply! Had to work!

TimsAudio wrote:
One thing missing from your report is the speaker. I have found intermittent 1/4" plugs and flaky spider wire connections at the cone.
I say this because this kind of thing has bitten me before. I spent so much time fine-toothing the chassis and ignore the possibility its the speaker connections. Sub in a new speaker.
If that doesn't pan out, your key is to develop information when the symptom occurs so you can relay it to a tech. First, when it occurs, do you hear any hiss or noise from the speaker. The transformer will hum a bit, but its the speaker that counts. If there is hiss, tap the power tubes with the back of your fingernail. If that tinkles, move over to the preamp tubes and tap down the line to the right, listening to each one. Where the sound stops is the source of the problem.
If the amp is not making sound, you can turn up the controls and bang out a note. If it starts working, you may have an intermittent control or other connection problem. If you can plug into the PWR amp IN and make it work, there may be a jack problem.
If it still doesn't work, rap sharply with your knuckles on the rear panel to shock the circuitry.
Any information you can find to characterize the symptom will help a tech understand the issue. Especially if you can find a repeatable hack to get it going, that's a good clue. Good Luck


Thank you for the ideas! When the problem occurs I can only hear a very light humming when turned on, but that is the same when it's working. But good point with the "banging out a note". One time I was able to make the amp work when I turned up to Volume 4 or 5 and strummed very agressively. Sadly that only worked once or twice... So I don't know if 1 out of 20 tries counts as repeatable :/. No Input works sadly...

shimmilou wrote:
Morimon wrote:
....The problem: 99% of the times I turn on the standby-switch, no sound comes out of my Amp...


While it is not working is the best time to check voltages.

Sadly I'm not a technician, and I don't want to get electrocuted..

My main issue is not the amp not working, but more so that it does never occur at the repair shops... If it would, I'm sure they could solve it, but everyone told me it could not be a coincidence. Especially because the amp was used as a test-amp everyday at their shop for 3 months and they never had problems. I wrote them too and made a video of it and they also said they can solve it if the problem occurs at their place, but if I'm gonna pay 200 again without a clear solution I think I'm gonna cry.

stratele52 wrote:
Plug a patch cable ( or guitar/ pedal cable) between " Amp In" and "Amp Ou. jacks. Report

Sometimes contacts become oxidized and connections between preamp and power amp do not work.
A cable will by- pass these oxidized contacts.

Its happened to one of my customers

Been there, done that, no difference :(
stratele52 wrote:
Morimom,

Tim write a very important thing and a report will be welcome ;

" First, when it occurs, do you hear any hiss or noise from the speaker ? "
____________________

If you don't hear nothing no hiss , no hum, nothing, turn volumes knobs to full power. Listen.
No need to plug a guitar.
A answer to this will tell a lot about the amp issue.

When its not working (like right now as I'm writing), then there is no difference of noise/hum/buzz between volume 1 and 12 on all channels.

Thank you so much for your help until now. I haven't thought of speaker issues. But again, I don't know if that will be measurable if the problem only occurs at my place. If only the shops could do it there. I am beginning to think I am cursed


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:29 pm
Online
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 13536
Location: Province de Québec, Canada
Morimon write ;
"When the problem occurs I can only hear a very light humming when turned on, but that is the same when it's working. "

My opinion ; speaker, speaker's wiring and jacks are good.
Issue is IN the amp itself if... youre guitar and cable are working fine .


Morimon write;

"My main issue is not the amp not working, but more so that it does never occur at the repair shops"

My opinion ; are you sure about what you plug in the amp input ?
How can you explain it never occur in the repair shop ?

Is the repair shops did serious test ?

I will leave the amp ON 24 hours a day until issue is there all the time. Issue will be easy to fix.

You try the patch cable I talk about and the amp do the issue ?
So the issue is there very often ! How come at repair shop did it does never occur ?


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:43 am
Offline
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 am
Posts: 5
stratele52 wrote:
Morimon write ;
"When the problem occurs I can only hear a very light humming when turned on, but that is the same when it's working. "

My opinion ; speaker, speaker's wiring and jacks are good.
Issue is IN the amp itself if... youre guitar and cable are working fine .


Morimon write;

"My main issue is not the amp not working, but more so that it does never occur at the repair shops"

My opinion ; are you sure about what you plug in the amp input ?
How can you explain it never occur in the repair shop ?

Is the repair shops did serious test ?

I will leave the amp ON 24 hours a day until issue is there all the time. Issue will be easy to fix.

You try the patch cable I talk about and the amp do the issue ?
So the issue is there very often ! How come at repair shop did it does never occur ?


My guitars and cables are working perfectly.

I also know how to plug my guitar in my amp... I also know that I don't do anything differently than the repair shops. And that the problem occurs only at my places is the exact reason why I asked if there is anything except cables, instruments or power supply that could cause the problem.

The repair shop I went to is one of the most renouned of my whole country. Sadly they also cost a lot, which is why I am asking here.

The issue also does not occur once the amp turned on successfully. Its more like either it does turn on and stays on or it does not turn on at all.

And again, my problem is that the repair shops could not solve it because it did not occur at their place. I literally cannot explain why, especially because 3 groups of professionals tested everything and I tested every equipment and plug and cable at my place. Hence why I called the thread insoluble...


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Insoluble issue with my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:51 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 am
Posts: 26150
Location: Tombstone Territory
Leave the amp in the *unlocked* boot of your car.

Within a day or two your problem will be solved.

Arjay

_________________
"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Fender Play November 2019

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], stratele52 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: