It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: HRD 3 Amp in need of good distortion
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I'm a new owner of a Hot Rod Deluxe 3. I've just had the tubes replaced, and am getting familiar with the settings. Any suggestions for getting more of a distorted sound out of the amp? Like, 90's alternative type sounds? The amp sounds great as far as reverb and bluesy tones.

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: HRD 3 Amp in need of good distortion
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The hrdx is clean until very high volumes. Try a variety of distortion pedals.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:14 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

The grunge scene of the 90s was very diverse in terms of gear and sounds.
The overall identifying factors of that scene had less to do with tone and gear than it did with style of play and style of songwriting.
The style of play was less focussed on chops and more focussed on attitude and behaviour and following a sort of loose formula for song arrangements.
That scene also brought back acoustic drums to popular music after a long period of techno-drums, which might be the one thing those bands should be best remembered for.

As for gear and tone:
Pearl Jam was known for using Les Pauls and Marshall amps whereas Nirvana used Jaguars and Mustangs and Fender amps, along with the occasional Boogie amp here and there.
A number of bands got their sound from hollow and semi-hollow guitars as well.
Aside from style of play I really don't think anyone would be able to pin it down for you unless you were to be more specific about which band/guitarist you want to sound close to.

"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."
- E. Sitwell

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

EBHRD3 wrote:
Hi, I'm a new owner of a Hot Rod Deluxe 3. I've just had the tubes replaced, and am getting familiar with the settings. Any suggestions for getting more of a distorted sound out of the amp? Like, 90's alternative type sounds? The amp sounds great as far as reverb and bluesy tones.

You can bias it to take real Kt-66s: Throw in the right British speaker and you have a "poor man's" JTM45/Plexi

I ran a HRD III with KT-66s and a Celestion V30 for about a year. Every time I played that amp songs from Cream's "Disraeli Gears" kept coming out of me.

KT-66 makes the clean channel browner and round sounding + breaks up sooner, and the Drive channel very early Marshall in nature.

Jeffery Falla... Author of the Book "How to Hot Rod your Fender Amp" gave me the idea. He wrote he never had a problem with the HRD PT handling the increased amperage i.e 0.9 vs 1.3amps. KT-66s have a lower bias.. I had to darn near turn the bias trim pot all the way down to get it to Bias at 25ma per tube. Using KT-66s gave the amp a little volume boost/ i.e. signal gain.

The fairly new BB45 sounds extremely close to a HRD with KT-66s.

But.. In the end, I'm a Fender guy and tired with the experiment and put back in those beautiful American big bottled 6L6GC's and an Oxford 12T6 speaker and never have looked back...

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:03 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

This is an expensive pedal but with good reason. It's really 2 pedals in one.

The left button gives you Marshall sounds - like all of them. The GAIN knob acts like a time machine - the more you turn the knob clockwise, the more modern of a Marshall tone you will get.

The right button engages a tube screamer type circuit that can be used independently of the Marshall tones.

If you like Marshall distortion along with your Fender cleans, I highly recommend this pedal:

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Quite a few grunge bands used Fuzz pedals - the type of guitars and amps varied greatly bt the bands.

Set the bias hotter on your HRD and consider a fuzz pedal. I have an MXR Variac Fuzz and I’m able to dial in 60’d Hendrix and Gilmour tones and then Grungy 90’s tones as well. It’s a versatile pedal. But there’s tons of fuzz boxes out there.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

EBHRD3 wrote:

Have you tried the Drive and More Drive channel?

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.