It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue vs Fender 68 Custom Rever
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:16 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, first post, I'm trying these two amps this Saturday with the intention to buy one. I'm using a Les Paul studio and am after a bluesy tone (I'm in love with the 57 deluxe tone on my son's Mustang). I have a Blackstar amp at the moment but have always wanted a fender. Any thoughts on these two amps? Which one will likely be closer to that 57 deluxe type tone?

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Fender 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue vs Fender 68 Custom R
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:50 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

65 Princeton Reverb is a better amp than the 68 Custom Reverb and all Custom series . I test few of them at Fender Corona and read many complain on forums about Custom series.

I don't know if 65 Princeton will sound closer to the 57 Deluxe RI , chance are and more than the Custom wich is not a vintage series.

Why not buying the 57 Deluxe if you like it ?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:25 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Why not buy what you love? or it least you have that tone to compare with in the music store.
Quote:
(I'm in love with the 57 deluxe tone on my son's Mustang)

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sfceric64 wrote:
Why not buy what you love? or it least you have that tone to compare with in the music store.
Quote:

+1

There are plenty of commercially-available 5E3 clones available that don't cost what Fender's Custom Shop charges for their re-issue Deluxe.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sfceric64 wrote:
Quote:

Twice the price of a 65 Princeton Reverb ! It 's crazy

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:32 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Blackface/silverface tone is cleaner and less "raw" than Tweed tone.

I assume the Mustang has some sort of Deluxe Reverb model? That would be closer than the Tweed Deluxe model to what either Princeton sounds like. (The Princetons aren't exactly like a Deluxe Reverb, but closer to that than the thick warm wooly tones of a Tweed.)

As mentioned, there are lots of boutique Tweed Deluxe clones that are as good or better than the originals for much less money than Fender's Tweed reissues. And you can sometimes find them used for less than the cost of a new Princeton.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

strayedstrater wrote:
Blackface/silverface tone is cleaner and less "raw" than Tweed tone.

Custom series are not like vintage silverface amp we know, they are customized

A low budget modeling amp with 57 deluxe sound ! :shock:

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:30 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The 57 Deluxe is very different than the other 2.
The 57 has only a tone knob, not separate bass and treble.
This means it doesn't have the midrange distortion, the Fender shimmer, produced in the tone stack. The 57 is much cleaner. It is more suitable for jazz, country and acoustic guitar than hard rock.
A used 5E3 clone would be less than a new Fender, but I would recommend using only the Fender output transformer, even if you have to change it out.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

If your Blackstar has a good clean tone you could try a Wampler Tweed '57 pedal as a much cheaper alternative to a Fender amp. I have one and think it is a very good sounding pedal.

But if you simply must get a Fender amp then I can recommend, from personal experience, a '65 Deluxe Reverb. Mine is a "Fudge Brownie" limited edition (same spec as the regular DRRI except for the speaker) and I use it for blues. It is an great amp. I use mainly a Strat but it is good with all pickup types. (I also have a Wampler Black '65 pedal which is very good and with it I can recreate my cranked 65DR tones when I have to play the amp at low volume).

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 pm
Amateur
Amateur

I think there are better amps for Bluesy tones, like a Fender Mustang! I don’t think either Princeton is voiced for a Gibson with humbuckers, rather I’d probably like a Fender strat’s sound. The so called complaints as stated on a forum may be from people trying to get overdriven sounds from Fender’s Custom series. They may not be the right amps for that (and I would say the 68 is not). Maybe something from the HotRod (6L6) series with an effects pedal would sound better with a Gibson than an overdriven 68 Princeton.

I hear a limited edition (12” spker) 65 Princeton next to a std. 68 Custom Princeton at Guitar Center.
The 65 Princeton had a nice even balanced sound. To me it wasn’t too exciting, sounded like a small amp, kind of an anemic tone, maybe too clean. On the other hand, the 68 Custom Princeton sounded warmer with more bass, more alive but still a clear tone. It seemed to be louder, (maybe the speaker difference). Both amps had enough high end tone (treble-adjust as needed). With a warmer sound (not-overdriven), the 68 effects Reverb and Tremolo really sounded good. I don’t think the 65RI is any better or worse. I bet the 65 Princeton would sound better being overdriven, but that’s not the way I got to hear them. It just surprised me how different they sound from each other.