It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: '64 Custom Shop Vibroverb Cesar Diaz.
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:13 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all, new guy here...long time musician, guitar player yada yada yada. :D I'm sure you've heard it all before how experienced everyone is and the fact their cousin knows Jimmy Herring or something. Well in my case it's all true.....LOL!! Kidding!

My question for you guys is.....I have the amp in the title....picked it up recently by way of trading my 'early model Marshall JCM 800 and my 1960 Marshall 4X12 cab. I now think I messed up....but it went to a good home and I hadn't taken it out in so long and with the gig I am doing I don't need it.

But this Vibroverb is damn loud. Now so much that it's loud, but it comes on fast and I gig in most small clubs with the Volume on about 2-1/2. Around 1-3/4 to just about 2 it is very low....but then just comes on loud fast. If I'm on 3, I'm killing everyone. As it is I bought plexi screens to help the singers out. Wimps!!

The amp is never near where you would expect the unit to be doing it's best work....driving it hard.

While I have never used an attenuator or Variac, I understand these are an option. I would not want to change the tone of the amp...or if it did, only for the better of course. I understand the variac will likely be used to lower the voltage somewhat, say around 95 or so. The attenuator bleeds off some of the power and is placed between the amp and the speaker.

So first question(s) would be......which type would you guys suggest-attenuator or variac? Then, do you have any particular brand/model you would recommend?

What I was most curious about though is, is there any sort of a modification that can be done to the amp that takes care of this, within the circuit of the amp? Like a 1/2 power switch or some other sort of thing that allows you to push the output stage harder without blowing the roof off the house or club? Or something that gives the volume knob a much smoother and slower 'curve' from 0-10........ so that what is 3 now would be say a 5 after the mod......yet 10 would still be 10?

I'm probably not making a lot of sense.....I work 10-12hr days as a rigging grip on a CBS TV show and I'm tired as hell. It's 11pm and I'm up at 4am every day. But I'm sure you understand my plight and will have some great answers. I look forward to them.

Thanks a bundle!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: '64 Custom Shop Vibroverb Cesar Diaz.
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Variac has virtually no affect on volume. Its purpose is to change the tone, feel, response of an amp. Not what you need.

Attenuators may do what you want. Few of them will take a big cranked amp down to bedroom volumes without sucking tone, but most do an acceptable job of knocking the volume down a bit to better sit in a band mix.
------------------
But it could very well be the wrong amp for your current needs. Stevie Ray played loud and proud and had to fill a lot of sonic space in a trio, and Cesar developed those mods specifically for that.

Seems counter productive to consider modding the amp in the completely opposite direction.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

This is what you want.

https://www.tedweber.com/mass

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:32 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

strayedstrater wrote:
Variac has virtually no affect on volume. Its purpose is to change the tone, feel, response of an amp. Not what you need.

Attenuators may do what you want. Few of them will take a big cranked amp down to bedroom volumes without sucking tone, but most do an acceptable job of knocking the volume down a bit to better sit in a band mix.
------------------
But it could very well be the wrong amp for your current needs. Stevie Ray played loud and proud and had to fill a lot of sonic space in a trio, and Cesar developed those mods specifically for that.

Seems counter productive to consider modding the amp in the completely opposite direction.

+1

I own an original '64 Vibroverb and it is indeed a loudass amp, especially so with the JBL D130 I've installed. The only viable remedy for you is the attenuator though as mentioned it is a tone thief to some degree. However, due to the VV's smallish output tranny (relative to a Super Reverb or Twin Reverb) the sonic robbery is minimized. An alternative to the attenuator that you might try is to build what I call a "Spankmaster Reverb". That's a Deluxe Reverb stuffed into a taller cabinet that will accommodate a 15-inch speaker. I've built six of these conversions thus far and they work remarkable well. The 20-watt platform is perfect for small-to-medium venues and the larger driver provides all the robust "beef" necessary to cut through a mix.

If you work on "Seal Team", "SWAT", or "Blue Bloods", good luck.

If it's "Hawaii Five-O" or that miserable Magnum re-reboot, a pox on you.

:mrgreen:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:12 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
If you work on "Seal Team", "SWAT", or "Blue Bloods", good luck.

If it's "Hawaii Five-O" or that miserable Magnum re-reboot, a pox on you.
:mrgreen:

LOL!!!!!!!

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi guys and thanks. Retroverbial....it's Seal Team S2. I did S1 as well and Criminal Minds-Beyond Borders before that so I have been on the CBS Redford lot for a few years now. Prior to that I seemed to end up doing shows at Paramount for some years.

You in da biz? I'm a rigger.....Rigging Grip....but I do 1st Unit/Production as well. Was a Gaffer (Non-Union) for a few years too.... strictly commercial (s). :D Episodic TV for many years now.

BMW-KTM.....thanks for the link. That unit looks good and the price is right also....even with the headphone and footswitch bypass. Are you a bike guy? I'm a master motorcycle mechanic......25 years in the biz starting with a bona fide apprenticeship. Became a Journeyman in '77 I think. Certified on Beemers up to the K series....Honda as well as Kawasaki and Yamaha...Seadoo etc and also Kawasaki and Yamaha watercraft and power equipment. Got out around 1999 because you cannot make a good living doing that. The money end sucks as a dealership mechanic! Too much brain damage in SoCal to start your own business.

Strayedstrater.......gotcha man. I suppose I could also run the amp in unmodified mode which ought to bump down the output a little. I just haven't had the balls to do that so far because I have got used to running it Modified and don't want to risk hating it while live etc. The room we rehearse in is so damn small also.....so I don't bother trying to change anything. I need to run it at a gig that way one day and see how it works. Thanks bro!

Thanks again for the advice guys. Playing I got all kinds of experience...years as a jazz fusion guy and then back to rock 'n roll and finally back to my roots as a blues player. Now I'm in a 7pc Funk/Soul outfit. So yes, I have both a Cry Baby and an auto-wah on the pedalboard. :P :D ( Mad Professor Snow White) Anyway......I've never really been a boutique amp guy or delved deep into various tube amps chasing tone....so I'm not all that well versed in the various Fender models etc.

My main amps over the years, that always worked well for me, have been a 70's Marshall JCM 800 Master Volume with a 1960 4X12 cab w/30W blackbacks.....a Fender Twin which I still have...Silverface.....nothing really special..... '60's Vox AC-30 Top Boost.......floppy speaker cloth and all.....and I freakin' loved that amp but had to sell it to come to the US. But tone wise I have always found a way to make them sound good. The VV is very different for me.....never owned an amp with a 15 either.

Just to say......the Vibroverb loudness deal was the topic of my first post here......but I did not realize there was a waiting period. Didn't see that. So when I came the next day to see if my post was replied to....and not seeing it, I figured I spazzed out and did not post it properly.

So I wrote another. I don't know if it was this one.....or if there is another coming of that same thing. Most of the time I am tired off my $@! from working 10-12hr days and often weekends too. So forgive me if the same/similar thread pops up.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Fumbly wrote:
Just to say......the Vibroverb loudness deal was the topic of my first post here......but I did not realize there was a waiting period. Didn't see that. So when I came the next day to see if my post was replied to....and not seeing it, I figured I spammed out and did not post it properly.

So I wrote another. I don't know if it was this one.....or if there is another coming of that same thing. Most of the time I am tired off my $@! from working 10-12hr days and often weekends too. So forgive me if the same/similar thread pops up.

No sweat, Fumbly......newbie forum protocols are frustrating. To everyone.

PM inbound.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY