It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hot Rod deville - Issues when using effects
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am curious if anyone has insights and or workarounds regarding hum coming out of my amp when my overdrive pedal is turned on and or losing guitar volume when overdrive is not on. This is my first Hot Rod Deville, I love the amp and usually run it around 2.5 to 3. I have purchased good patch cables which has reduced the overall hum when I use effects pedals,. I am running on my pedal board a digital tuner into Dunlop Wah , Fulltone Deja Vibe 2, MXR carbon copy and a Love Pedal Zen,( I some times use a envelope filter, Love Rubber Chicken), drive as the last link in my chain, I had the overdrive before the carbon copy but moved it. I have the tone and volume control on the drive pedal around 10 to 12 o'clock. I do not notice the hum when I playing over backing tracks only when I stop playing.

In addition, can I still use the second channel on the amp and the drive settings as well? I find when I have backing tracks running through my computer into the amp that it sounds horrible should I run the computer through channel one and the effects through channel two. I am new to all of this and have only dedicated myself to this for the past 12 months.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Hot Rod deville - Issues when using effects
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hey shstele,

Are you putting all effects into the amp input, or the loop, or a combination?

As for the hum, it might be one particular effect pedal, or the power supply for the pedals. Try each effect one at a time to see if it is only one of them that introduces the hum. Typically, time based effects are better in the loop, while distortion/drive effects are better into the amp input.

The inputs into the amp are not 2 channels, just 2 inputs, input 2 being an attenuated input. The clean channel uses the "volume" pot, while switching to the "drive/more drive" channel uses the "master" and "drive" pots and the "volume" has no affect.

A guitar amp is best suited for creating sound rather than reproducing it, so I can believe that music into the amp would sound bad.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Issue only with pedals ; it is not the amp, issue are from your pedal board.

Check pedals , wiring and accessories. Don't use universal power supply , use only a recommended good pedal power supply.

Hot Rod amp volume control work smoother with 12AY7 in V1

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You could be introducing ground loop hum. It happens when 2 or more AC powered devices are connected with audio cables. Remove the computer connection first and see if that helps. Then try removing one pedal at a time. Run it on a battery to see if it goes away.
Eliminating ground loops sometimes involves using 3 to 2 pin ac adaptors on peripheral devices.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

shstele wrote:
losing guitar volume when overdrive is not on.
Not sure if I understand, but I think you mean when you kick in the overdrive it's really loud and when you turn it off, there is a perceived volume loss. If that is the case, lower the 'Vol' dial on the Zen pedal, and turn the amp up louder until it sounds balanced.

shstele wrote:
I had the overdrive before the carbon copy but moved it.
I would put it back how you originally had it personally, unless there is a specific reason it works better with the drive last.

shstele wrote:
In addition, can I still use the second channel on the amp and the drive settings as well?
My suggestion is to give up on the dream of having the backing track and your guitar coming out of the amp. It would indeed be great, but even the digital modeling amps I've tried don't do that particularly well. Figure out a different way to play the music. I don't suppose you have a PA you can use at home? :D All of the advice about hum is spot on. Do let us know how things work out.