It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Champion 20 speaker upgrade
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Had this amp about a year and love it. I also have the 100 and love it as well. I realise this is only a $100 amp but think it deserves an upgrade if feasible. Please share if you have any recommendations/experience with speaker swaps.
Just a hobbyist that plays a lil of everything but mostly rock.

Thanks.

Edit:

Not opposed to rigging up an extension cab if it can push it.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Champion 20 speaker upgrade
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

8 inch speaker for a 20 watt Solid State amp? Not sure where to even start looking, let alone think of how much of a change a swap would make. Good luck in your search.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-am ... t=&start=1

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber
'15 Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
'17 Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I
'17 Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:01 am
Roadie
Roadie

There's probably more info online for a Frontman 15 speaker upgrade. You could, I guess, use that as a guide.

I have a Frontman 25 that I use for quick checks on guitars. I've actually tried a few speakers in it that I've had on hand, never bought one specifically for it. The bottom line is this, from my perspective - It sounds "okay" at best no matter what. You can spend a lot of $$ chasing down speakers that fit what you're looking or hoping for. Buy used if you can.

UN

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Running a "search" on my favorite search engine, comes up with Eminence and Jensen having the most options for quality 8 inch speakers...but looks like you'll pay half again the amps value.

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:56 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know its not the wisest idea to dump money into a little practice amp, but like I said, it's a cool little amp. The frontman 15 idea was good, thanks for that. I just didnt know if anyone had tried anything. I have options basically from the celestion 8-15 (which from appearances looks quite similar to stock speaker) to an eminence 820h. Perhaps getting an extension cab with a 12 (that could be used for other purposes also) would be more beneficial.

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Sling_Blade wrote:
Perhaps getting an extension cab with a 12 (that could be used for other purposes also) would be more beneficial.
With no output jack, one would have to be hard-wired (which could be done easy enough) and then you'd have to hard-wire a 1/4 inch plug to the existing speaker if you ever want to use it again. As long as the Ohms match between amp and extension cabinet; it's all doable if that's what you wanna do.
Keep in mind; some will say that under-powering a speaker (i.e.- constantly pushing 20 watts through an 80 watt speaker) can be just as bad as over-powering it. Just like a car or motorcycle with a manual transmission, if you shift too soon, you lug the engine, and if you shift to late, you redline it (over rev).

I have a Super Champ 112 cabinet (originally to go with my SCx2 amp head), that I can plug to my Blues Jr. and Pro Jr. also...but those two amps have built in 1/4 inch jacks directly to the internal speaker, and it's just a matter of unplugging the internal speaker, and plugging in the cabinet.

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:28 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Underpowering a guitar speaker isn't a problem. Efficiency rating tests are done with 1 watt input, and at home you're often pumping less than a watt into the speaker.

I've driven 4 EVM12L's (600 watts total power handling) with a 1 watt amp. No problems.

Underpowering is an issue with PA speakers. Because if you have an underpowered power amp and have to crank it way up you can get clipping distortion which will destroy tweeters.

(You can safely mic a guitar amp that's driven into clipping, because guitar speakers don't reproduce the super high frequencies that a clipping amp produces. So the PA tweeters don't get worked as hard as a clipping PA amp would work them.)

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Back on topic, the stock speaker in the Champion 20 isn't a terrible speaker. The bass will fart out at high volume, but that's pretty common in 8" speakers.

Splicing in an output jack and driving a bigger speaker will make a much more dramatic improvement than putting in a better 8" speaker.

20 watts will easily drive multiple speakers. Even two 4x12 cabs. And weirdly, on the used market 4x12's are often less expensive than 2x12's or 1x12's.

With solid-state it's safe to use higher impedance speakers. A 4 ohm 20 watt amp will put out about 10 watts into an 8 ohm cab and about 5 watts into a 16 ohm cab. But 12" inch speakers are generally more efficient than 8" speakers, and multiple speakers sound louder than single speakers. So a 16 ohm 4x12 might sound as loud or even louder than the single 8".

And an 8 ohm 1x12 might also be as loud or louder than a single 4 ohm 8".

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:14 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I guess I am in the minority thinking - if you love it, why start messing with it? What more are you trying to get out of it? More volume? Better tone?

If it's already a great amp, IMO leave it alone and buy a pedal or new guitar with that money instead.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

strayedstrater wrote:
Back on topic, the stock speaker in the Champion 20 isn't a terrible speaker. The bass will fart out at high volume, but that's pretty common in 8" speakers.

Splicing in an output jack and driving a bigger speaker will make a much more dramatic improvement than putting in a better 8" speaker.

20 watts will easily drive multiple speakers. Even two 4x12 cabs. And weirdly, on the used market 4x12's are often less expensive than 2x12's or 1x12's.

With solid-state it's safe to use higher impedance speakers. A 4 ohm 20 watt amp will put out about 10 watts into an 8 ohm cab and about 5 watts into a 16 ohm cab. But 12" inch speakers are generally more efficient than 8" speakers, and multiple speakers sound louder than single speakers. So a 16 ohm 4x12 might sound as loud or even louder than the single 8".

And an 8 ohm 1x12 might also be as loud or louder than a single 4 ohm 8".

Hey thanks for the info, very helpful.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ghost_of_strings wrote:
I guess I am in the minority thinking - if you love it, why start messing with it? What more are you trying to get out of it? More volume? Better tone?

If it's already a great amp, IMO leave it alone and buy a pedal or new guitar with that money instead.

Better bass response mostly. The whole farting out at higher volumes is a big part of it. I didn't plan on anything destructive, was thinking of a switching speaker jack that allowed stock speaker to function as normal until such time as you plug in extension. Thats sounding like the better way to go. Can make my own open back cab at some point for a 12 unless I see a good deal.

I have a bunch of 8" speaker amps, and then a 2 x 12, so I was trying to bridge the gap between them I guess.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

yeah the extension speaker jack sounds like the best option. You get to keep the amp as it is for when you don't want to bring the cab. A 1-12 cabinet seems like a perfect fit.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ghost_of_strings wrote:
yeah the extension speaker jack sounds like the best option. You get to keep the amp as it is for when you don't want to bring the cab. A 1-12 cabinet seems like a perfect fit.

Thanks!

Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I ended up getting a couple cabs on trade. One open back 1 x 12 with a sammi sound me-300b40 8 ohm and a closed back 1 x 10 with a celestion g10s-50 16 ohm. The lil champion powers either just fine and sounds better with either, still messing with settings but its a go.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I upgraded my speaker to a USA made Jupiter 8SC am I am more than happy.