It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Best Black Face reissue
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:47 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have been gassing for a Fender amp for a while now and was wondering which black face reissue is the closest to its forefathers in terms of tone, natural warm breakup etc?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Best Black Face reissue
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:48 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I play classic rock late ‘60’s-70’s rock. Looking for the James Gang, Walsh/Felder Hotel California tone and the other countless guys who used them in the studio vs Marshall’s and on stage.

I’ve been looking hard at a 65 deluxe, 65 super reverb and although not a blackface a boutique tweed 5f1 or a 5e3:

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Much of Joseph Walsh's studio work with The James Gang was recorded with a Telecaster through a '64 Vibroverb with a JBL D130F speaker.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:02 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

A little info from Joe himself:

True to his self-conferred title of “Analog Man,” however, Walsh was able to wrest a cornucopia of warm, analog-flavored guitar tones from his digital recording rig. “I found this little Fender amp called an FM15,” he says. “It’s a digital amp with sampled amp tones. I’d come out of the headphone jack of that amp into a tube recording preamp and into a hard drive. Do that, and the Pro Tools sees tubes.”

Walsh’s guitars for the album were all analog, of course, notably the aforementioned 1957 Gretsch 6120 plus a selection of Les Pauls, Stratocasters and Telecasters. Walsh has so many guitars he tends not to be overly fussy about vintage years. He just grabs whichever one is closest to hand. His tastes in amps are varied.

For instance the remarkably crisp and present slide guitar sound on the song “Wrecking Ball” was achieved via a 30-watt Peavey amp with a 10-inch speaker.

“That’s what you’re hearing on there,” Walsh elaborates. “I like small amps, not big ones. Another one I’m really fond of is Dr. Z amps. He’s a guy in Cleveland who makes these really great amps. Brad Paisley and I are both really in love with those. And I love Fender Champs, too. An old blackface Champ is actually what I did ‘Funk #49’ on. A blackface Champ and a Tele, straight in.”

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I’m really leaning towards a reissue BF super reverb and a tweed narrow panel champ

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Chris4189 wrote:
I’m really leaning towards a reissue BF super reverb...

Outstanding!

You can bust up your ankles trying to move it around, blow out your ears trying to find its "sweet spot", and piss off every neighbor withing a 1500 meter radius.

In the NHL they call that a 'hat trick'.

:lol:
Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I live out in the sticks, so, no neighbors to piss off and I have a Fryette Powerstation that does a fantastic job of taming a 69 super lead so I feel sure it can knock a few dB off this.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
Chris4189 wrote:
I’m really leaning towards a reissue BF super reverb...

Outstanding!

You can bust up your ankles trying to move it around, blow out your ears trying to find its "sweet spot", and piss off every neighbor withing a 1500 meter radius.

In the NHL they call that a 'hat trick'.

Arjay

So you would suggest a Super Twin? :D

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

CB91710 wrote:

He says he lives out in the sticks......a Super Six Reverb oughta do it.

Of course he'll need his Massey-Ferguson to haul it around.

Arjay

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:23 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
CB91710 wrote:

He says he lives out in the sticks......a Super Six Reverb oughta do it.

Or maybe something with a couple of 15's under the twin....

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

You guys have been so helpful with your assumptions and attempts at humor.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I think what everyone's saying is get the biggest amp that you can use the entire range of the volume control.
With any of the re-issue amps and the originals the whole amp should be useful to you or your not getting the whole amp. I have a SFSR and a DRRI, I cant really play the whole of either amp in the living room for extended periods of time, more so w/ the SR than the DRRI. But I also have a few 5-12 watt amps that I thoroughly enjoy all of the time.
Of the true re-issue lineup, maybe you should look at the Princeton but as you said you like the SR. It's a seriously loud amp. Maybe look at the 57' tweed deluxe or that line's Pro.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:57 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sfceric64 wrote:
Maybe look at the 57' tweed deluxe or that line's Pro.

Neither the 5E3 nor the 5E5 do a very credible job of creating the blackface tone.

Arjay

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

yeah a lot of users here have owned a Super Reverb. I have a vintage SR. I love the sound at moderate volumes. I mean really, I LOVE how it sounds. But if I was looking for "natural warm breakup" without ruining my hearing or wearing ear plugs, that would not be my first choice. You did say a SR AND a narrow panel tweed champ. Now we're talking. One amp for when you can get away with pushing the volume. The other for when you have to keep it to a dull roar. Sounds like a plan to me.

The forum users here are silly and nobody really worries too much about offending someone with silly harmless jokes. We're all here on our off time ya know?