Post subject: Re: New Mod for Hot Rod Deluxe
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:09 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Marky Forrest wrote:
algajgg wrote:
https://imgur.com/XZlijc4 Here I show the TBV mod from Tim

https://imgur.com/uqyAyqg Here I show the 3 big ribbon cables I think are OK

https://imgur.com/sKndCmB Here I show the small 2 strand ribbon cable PW4A which I think is the culprit of my muted amp.

This is the first time I upload a pic in this forum, please let me know if you guys can see it. Thanks a lot

When posting an image from imgur, copy the "Linked BBCode (message boards)" and paste that link in your post. That way your picture will show in the post and not a link.

Thank you very much Marky.

Fender Play April 2019
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:25 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

algajgg wrote:
https://imgur.com/XZlijc4 Here I show the TBV mod from Tim

https://imgur.com/uqyAyqg Here I show the 3 big ribbon cables I think are OK

https://imgur.com/sKndCmB Here I show the small 2 strand ribbon cable PW4A which I think is the culprit of my muted amp.

This is the first time I upload a pic in this forum, please let me know if you guys can see it. Thanks a lot

algajgg wrote:
Hello, yes I have dissamble it 6 times I think. I have no output from POWER AMP IN.

I see PW1A PW2A and PW3A rock solid, I suspect from PW4A. Before putting the amp back together I saw what I tought was a broken strand and made the guy with soldering skills resolder this two strand ribbon cable in the end that goes to the board. Do you think that a broken PW4A could cause this? Should I check for continuity?

Which board are you referring to?
Injecting a signal into the power amp in and getting no sound at all pretty much isolates the problem to PW4 or PW3 connections.
In your last picture, is that silicone on PW4? That is an exceptionally bad idea. It is fine for anchoring components to the board, but not at solder connections.

From your previous posts, you are from Venezuela, are you there now?
stratele52 wrote:

I pray for your country in these difficult times. :(

I also pray for your country and your people.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everybody, I always posted asking for help so I think is fair to make a post of gratitude and sharing the results of the TBV mod.
I finally solved the problem of my muted amp and finally could hear the TBV mod from Tim. I was so impatient for hearing the mod and happily I can say that definitely was worth the time I waited. Tim is a guy that has always supported me in this forum with anything related to my HRDeville II. As I said before I live in Venezuela and there is no way I could take my amp to a tech in another city (my car needs new tires and brake pads, I don’t have the money for paying a tech and the qualified techs here are not in the same league than Tim) so all the help of Tim in this forum has been invaluable for me and I have to repeat again I don’t have enough words (especially in English) for my gratefulness with Tim. I also want to thank Vinyl, Stratele52, Marky Forrest, your ready to help behavior in this forum makes me feel I’m not alone in my search of tone and making good music.
The delayed in my response to all of your posts and help is due to the fact that here in Venezuela we had some massive energy shortage. If I sum all the days without energy in the last month I can say almost 12 whole days without energy. I also want to thank to Vinyl for his sincere and kind words for my people and my country.

Ok, making the story very short I dismounted the PCB to perform the following:
- TBV mod from Tim
- Change R4 from 100K to 180K (couldn’t found the 220K recommended from Tim)
- Change R26 master volume pot from B100K to A100K (never changed it back when I installed the Fromel Kit)
- Put a switch to take out of the circuit R105 (to hear the difference)
- Put a switch to take out of the circuit R103 (to hear the difference)
- Change the cheap stock RCA cables for the reverb

First my amp does not sounded even connecting the guitar into Power amp in. Tim told me to check the ribbon cables, I suspected form PW4 and I was right, with the movement of the PCB one of the leads disconnected from the tube board. So I soldered it and finally got the amp sounding again.

My appreciation of the TBV mod: I read in lot of forums that a LOT of people make mods (change the whole tone stack) to the Hot Rod amp series in order to blackface them. To me this TBV mod makes my amp more Blackface than any other mod. I followed the recommendations of Tim and leave the tone stack unaltered. You can hear so much more definition on each string of the guitar. The honky mids are gone and the mids sound way more natural now. In my amp I have a switch for the Twin mod (in the mid pot bridge the pins 2 and 3) and I can say that before the TBV mod I preferred the sound of my amp with the Twin mod, and now after the TBV mod I prefer the sound without the Twin mod. At very low volumes the amp keeps sounding very defined and behaves the same during the whole travel of the volume pot. Definitely this mod makes this amp sound much more like the real old fenders.

I hope this info could help others Hot Rod owners.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:16 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thank you for your kind words about your results. Now you hear what most of the Deluxe pickers in Bend Oregon hear. I knew I couldn't fix all the amps in America. But I didn't think it would resurface in South America next. What unexpected fun. I hope it spreads.
You have added to my understanding of the C1 mod. I just did it as a standalone. Your recommendation to raise the gain to restore dynamic range is an observation I can't make as a technician. It takes a good ear from a musician to detect that. I'll raise the plate resistor along with cathose cap mods now. Thanks for that.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

TimsAudio wrote:
Thank you for your kind words about your results. Now you hear what most of the Deluxe pickers in Bend Oregon hear. I knew I couldn't fix all the amps in America. But I didn't think it would resurface in South America next. What unexpected fun. I hope it spreads.
You have added to my understanding of the C1 mod. I just did it as a standalone. Your recommendation to raise the gain to restore dynamic range is an observation I can't make as a technician. It takes a good ear from a musician to detect that. I'll raise the plate resistor along with cathose cap mods now. Thanks for that.

Tim is a great honor for me to provide you helpful info. If you ever need any more info about my experience or appreciation with the TBV mod and any other of your mods please don’t doubt in asking it to me.

Ok, I guess when you say “Deluxe pickers” you are referring to people that play Fender Deluxe Reverbs or Blues Deluxes?

In regards C1, anytime is lowered its value there must be something like a formula to get the same dynamic range the manufacturer intended to achieve with the C1= 47uF and R4=100K original combination. For instance:

C1= 42uF R4=100K (original stock combination)
C1= 22uF R4=120K
C1= 10uF R4=140K
C1= 5uF R4=160K
C1=2.2uF R4=180K
C1= 1uF R4=200K
C1=.068uF R4=220K

Do you think this values combination is close to the original intended dynamic range?

My HRDeville right now has a C1 .047uF (I’m looking for a .068uF) and a R4=180K, I think the amp has lost some bouncy feel, the attack is not so colorful, I listen less harmonics floating in the air. Maybe I need to raise the value of R4 to get the same dynamic range the amp originally had?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well, I don't know if that table correlates without experimentation.
I found little difference in tone until I dropped the C1 value below 5uF
With a .047, you are starting to choke off midrange. Its too small.
I noticed the C1 cap you had was a large high voltage unit. You can go with much lower voltage ratings than that. 16 to 50 volt units are much smaller and available.

I have used up to 270K plate resistors, so go for what sounds good and let me know the best combination. Thanks

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3