It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Never had a Fender looking to buy first and need some advice
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:39 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello all!

As the title states I’ve never owned a fender amp. I’ve always owned and played various years of Super leads and Hiwatt Dr103’s.

I play Gibson’s pretty exclusive and plug straight in and play a lot of southern rock as well as classic rock from the late 60’s-70’s. As many of you know a lot of the southern rock guys used either blackface or silver face twins cranked thru Marshall cabs with jbl speakers. I have all that minus the fender amp.

I’m really digging the YouTube clips of the reissue ‘68 deluxe reverb custom but I also know a lot of melt your face solos and classic rock albums were recorded with tweed, BF or SF champs.

So I’m stuck between the deluxe or finding an all original SF champ. The deluxe however would allow me to use the tremolo or reverb and tremolo shows up a lot on old Skynyrd tunes which would be big plus for me.

Suggestions?

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Never had a Fender looking to buy first and need some ad
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If you already have a Marshall cab stuffed with D120F's (or K120's) why don't you hunt down a Bandmaster head (pretty loud) or Showman head (mighty damn loud)? Both have on-board tremolo and you can add reverb relatively inexpensively via a pedal. The blackface variant would be preferred but any silverface made prior to May of 1968 will also get the job done. Use a good OD pedal up front (Fulltone, TS9, etc) along with some compression to prematurely saturate the input signal.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:06 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Chris4189 wrote:
...I’m really digging the YouTube clips of the reissue ‘68 deluxe reverb custom...

It is not a reissue, not even close, it is a "vintage modified". If you want a reissue, go with the '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue, which is a much better amp IMO.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks guys.

I’m looking to get a combo vs. a head.

It seems like all the southern rock guys played either black face or silver face twins mostly for their clean stuff and when they used/needed tremolo or reverb.

At the end of the day, Reverb, tremolo and cleans is easily found in any fender amp I suppose but which one is going to give me the classic crunch when I crank into the tubes with a Fryette powerstation and have the classic cleans, Reverb and tremolo?

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:03 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I can only speak from personal experience and I would say the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. As I posted in another thread, I recently bought a TAD Silencer attenuator and the tone with the amp volume around 7 or 8 is just what I wanted.

I can probably get all the tones I want from the attenuated amp (plus my trusty Strat!) but an OD pedal (Maxon OD808, Maxon OD9 or Fredric Effects Golden Eagle Klon Clone) with the drive set off or very low does also sound good.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:23 am
Roadie
Roadie

The early to mid 1970's Deluxe Reverb is still obtainable at reasonable prices and would handle tour duty far better than the rohs compliant solder + PCB found in the most recent examples.

UN

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:34 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sounds like you may be in need of a narrow panel Tremolux. (5E9)

Pull the 12AY7 and plug in a 12AX7 to compensate for fewer gain stages compared to some other tweeds and rock out.

They didn't eat their meat.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:04 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Personally, I like the sound of a Brownface "bias wiggle" tremolo better that the "opto roach" of the Blackface and later variants, but if you have to have reverb, then I'd say either a Deluxe Reverb or Pro Reverb. Blackface or Silverface reverted back to Blackface circuit. A silverface made prior to 1971 will have a better made cabinet, with a speaker baffle that can be removed for re-grilling or modification.