It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Twin reverb cleans on a budget
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:34 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and also very new to fender products. I've recently fallen madly in love with the Fender Twin rev's clean tone, I've never heard anything as good, and I've decided to buy a cheap practice amp (300$ or below) that has a great clean twin rev sound, but aside from the old Mustang series, Idk where to find that.

To those of you who have tried both old and new mustangs, would you consider either of them better at emulating a twin reverb? Keep in mind that I'm looking for a table-top practice amp, so something like a used Mustang III v2 is not what im looking for,unless it really floors the Mustang I/Gt-40.

I don't have a wide variety of amps around to try, the only other amp at my local music store(s) that has a clean fendery emulation is the vox vt20x, and that just doesnt capture what I want.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Jazz on

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Twin reverb cleans on a budget
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You're either faking it or making it, there's no in-between scenario.

Stop jerking off with modeling toys and buy yourself a real Twin Reverb.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Retroverbial wrote:

Arjay

+ 1000 :D

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Quote:

Arjay

Another +1000 :)

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

pcalugaru wrote:
Quote:

Arjay

Another +1000 :)

And another +1000
You simply are not going to get the clean headroom or "OMG" tone out of anything less.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Really useful advice right here...

I already know I won't get the same sound out of anything else (apparently I should've pointed that out), but as a broke student its impossible to shell out that much money. I asked for the best copy at that price, didn't think it could get more specific than that.

If you don't have any useful input on the matter please keep the rest of your smart-ass comments to yourself.

Thanks

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:08 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The best copy of a TR for $330 ?

Could you find a amp ;
1- Witch look close to TR at yours ears ?
2- With very budget ?

Good luck

Mustang I/Gt-40 ; with is two 6.5 inches speakers ?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:39 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The Mustang V2s do a rather decent job copying the cleans (atleast over YT videos).

Sure its not as sweet, and the presence in the room won't be anywhere near the same, but at this point in my broke-budget life, this is what I have to work with.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:41 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I know douche nozzles who think nothing of spending two grand on a new phone every year then constantly snivel and whine because good guitar gear costs so much.

Do YOU have a two-thousand dollar phone?

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I'm not sure I'd go with a GT.. Too many things to go wrong with the Bluetooth for making changes, I dunno,, I've not really sat down with one, but reading the posts here and in other places... but it's your dough, so...

I've got a V1 MIII that I have had since 2011 It's never really given me any problems. It does have pretty good cleans, I think that's the best kind of sounds these amps will offer.

You may want to move this discussion to the Mustang forums... You'll get a lot more help there than you will in the Modern Amps forum.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 am
Roadie
Roadie

Leo's Twin Reverb didn't sound like a "Twin Reverb" by chance. The size of the cabinet was a compliment to a carefully designed circuit. If there were to be a "table top" amp out there that could emulate the ultimate clean machine, of which a Twin Reverb is, it would have rave reviews and be well known by all.

Your search may fare as well with a computer and headphones.

UN

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Since I think we all agree, nothing is going to come even close, and you probably value your iPhone and a bag of kind buds over a good amp ....

1. Fender Frontman - the vintage ones aren't all that bad. Buy used.

2. Boss Katana (sorry Mustang crew)

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The Katana's seem to be the rage, so no need to apologize as far as I care.

There really is no substituting the originals.. The Twin, Deluxe, or Silver Jubilee, Bluesbreaker (right.. marshall) etc..

but, if you can't swing it financially, it's good there are options to get you close.

I love my tube amps and they for sure sound great, but these digi amps, in the right application they are a lot of fun to use.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:50 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yamaha THR10 is worth auditioning. There's 3 versions, I forget which one has a Twin Reverb model.
---------------
Near-field, desktop audio is a different application and needs different types of gear. Putting a Twin Reverb on a desk with the speakers 2' from your ears wouldn't be the lush Twin tone. It'd be brutal.

I live in a small apartment. I haven't played out in almost a decade. I loved "real" amps back when I could let them breath. There's no true substitute.

But for me a Twin sounds better at "3" than it does at "1". At sub-watt levels, big combo amps sound like bad emulations to me.

Maybe throwing a bunch of pedals in front would help, but other than a clean boost into a cranked amp I've never been into pedals -- and that obviously doesn't work at apt levels.

Sneer if you want, but in my apartment voice 4 on my VibroChamp XD does a better Twin impersonation than a real Twin would. And at these volumes, my Micro Terror sounds better than my Tiny Terror did.

It's not the real thing. Of course not. But the real thing in a small room right up close at much lower volume doesn't sound like the real thing either. Been there, done that.
---------------------
I'm posting from my $49 LG phone. It's my only internet connection. I watch broadcast TV, youtube, and listen to the radio (KNON 89.3FM). No Netflix or other expenses.

If I had a little more money I'd get a Kemper or Fractal.

If I had a lot more money I'd move back into a bigger place and fill it with real amps again. And then A/B them against the Kemper and/or Fractal, and use whichever sounds best.

But I'd still keep the MT & VCXD next to the computer desk for late night low volume noodling. (Kemper/Fractal could cover that, but they're more complicated.)

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:13 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

agree with arjay. for a while, I wanted a twin for the reasons you state-good clean volume. I tried many amps, and wound up buying a silver face 70's twin that was rebuilt to 65 specs. there is nothing like it-clean for days. get one if you can.