It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Best speaker for blues jr?
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:42 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Forgive me if this has already been touched upon, but what would be the best clean-bluesy toned speaker to put in my blues jr. I recently purchased the NOS version, so tweed, and although its good, im really looking for something to really get it to sing.

Right now im considering a Swamp Thang, Texas Heat, or Cannabis Rex.

I play a 2010 american standard strat with big dippers if thats any help (she is gorgeous, and sounds it too)

Im looking around the $100 dollar mark but im willing to stray if something is really worth it.

....or should i just wait until BillM is up and running again and start with mods?

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Best speaker for blues jr?
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:52 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

canman22 wrote:
....or should i just wait until BillM is up and running again and start with mods?

BillM has a bunch of information about speakers he has tried. Might want to look at that. Right now I have a 16Ohm Celestion Vintage 30 in there. Between it and the BillM mods it sounds pretty good. Pretty dark, tho.

I liked my Eminence Maverick in there but the attenuation control sits in the way of one of the tubes. Sounded great until the tube rattled out. Then not so good.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:26 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

canman22 wrote:
Forgive me if this has already been touched upon, but what would be the best clean-bluesy toned speaker to put in my blues jr. I recently purchased the NOS version, so tweed, and although its good, im really looking for something to really get it to sing.

Right now im considering a Swamp Thang, Texas Heat, or Cannabis Rex.

I play a 2010 american standard strat with big dippers if thats any help (she is gorgeous, and sounds it too)

Im looking around the $100 dollar mark but im willing to stray if something is really worth it.

Of the three you mentioned, I would say C.Rex. Once they break in they may be one of the best 12" speakers they make, IMO. Weber has some real beauties, just not as much hype or videos showcasing the many selections they have. Their ceramic 12'' speakers with a 1 1/4" voice coil run $102.00. 20 or 30 watts. Different cones for earlier or late break-up. I observe a qualitative difference between speakers like Weber and assembly line types. I have four Emi speakers. C.Rex is one of them. I may never buy another Emi guitar speaker again.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

so modwiz, of weber speakers which do you suggest for *cringe* john mayer type tone with little to no break up but still a forceful bluesy tone to it

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:17 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

canman22 wrote:
so modwiz, of weber speakers which do you suggest for *cringe* john mayer type tone with little to no break up but still a forceful bluesy tone to it

I have jeard of John Mayer and know he is a guitar player with a following. I have never heard a note from him. Unfortunately, the word 'cringe' has no reference for me. Weber has 3 main 'flavors', aside from their signature series which is too low a wattage, IMO. The are; Chicago Vintage, described as a more 'woody, reedy' tone. The Vintage series, basically Jensen/Utah/Oxford clones, based on pre-China built Jensens. The British Series have different baskets and are based on Pre-China built Celestion models, Vox and Marshall voices.

If you can point me in the right direction, I'd be happy to suggest something. Amongst the 'vanilla' speakers, the C.Rex is a standout, IMO. However, its replacement, a Weber alnico Blue Dog hemp cone, is in the not too distant future. C.Rex into an extension cab for my SXC2.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:38 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Clicked through Mayer live concert to hear his tone(s). If I was to pick a speaker, to cover a variety of voicings it would be the 12F150B. Now, this is 12 dollars above your budget of 100. To stay under 100 would mean a 1 1/4 voice coil and a limit of 30 watts. Going to a 1 1/2 voice coil can get you a fifty watt speaker. You did day you wanted later breakup. This speaker is a combination of BF tone, the main speaker in this family is THE Deluxe replacement, with a British flavor added, (via cone design) so a little more mid-range and nice chimey top end. Would make for a versatile speaker. That is my contribution. Others will join in.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:30 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

let me help you on this, i spent a good time finding my own bose wireless speakers, they are the best, you read these two guides about wireless portables speakers i hope these guides will help you.
1. https://www.pollowers.com/best-wireless-speakers/
2. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -speakers/

please dont hesitate me to ask any question about them, i work in a media studio. thanks

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a tweed BJr and didn’t care for the stock Jensen.

Went with a C rex - it’s made a huge difference. mellow and warm. OD more creamy with improved definition. Having Billm mods done and picking it up today.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

canman22 wrote:

You might as well figure out what speakers sound like SRV, because that's surely how Mayer found his. :lol:

Seriously though, Mayer has the J-MOD amps which were built to his specs. Maybe try those speakers:

JM 2x12 Closed Back Cabinet
The perfect partner for the J-MOD 100 Head.

JM 2x12 Closed Back Cabinet
Wood Pine, Fingerjoint Construction
Colors Stealth with Salt & Pepper Grill Cloth
Speakers Celestion G12-65 Heritage Series
Power-Handling 130 Watts
Impedance 8 Ohms
Weight 51 lbs
Dimensions (Unboxed) LxWxH: 32” x 11” x 22.5”

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

modwiz wrote:
The Vintage series, basically Jensen/Utah/Oxford clones, based on pre-China built Jensens.

Sica Jensen RI's never were or "are" built in China.

All Jensen RI's are made exclusively in Ripa Italy by Sica who is the equivalent of Eminence in Europe (and always have been) On Billm's website and once on T Weber's website SICA was referred to as the company Recotten. Unknown where that name came from but like some of the information on Jensen RIs on the web its false.

There is a reason why Fender uses Sica Jensens RIs

Pretty much all the RIs (with the exception of the C12K) are made to some Chicago original spec. (Probably comes to a shock to speaker guys who cruse the gear sites on the internet.) The C12Q is almost spot on, And the ever popular C12N is extremely close too. There is, however, a relabeling by SICA for product structure... i,e, the P12R is actually the original P12N etc

I've re-coned a Sica/Jensen RI C12N and found it almost Identical to the Chicago Jensen C12N C6969 with a slight change in the VCs inner diameter with the original having a slightly longer former. (I'm talking .025 of an inch in both measurements!!) Shocking I know... right? Chicago Jensen manufactured a few types of C12Ns one such is the C8220 that's the model Fender used the most. That's the model T Weber on the internet pointed to when he claimed Jensen RIs are nothing like the originals... (Seems he forgot about the almost as popular C6969)

IMHO... if you already have a Sica Jensen RI and your not bonding with it, your not going to bond all that well with a Weber. That said... The plus side to Weber's is if you like that style of speaker you get to custom design it.. You can order what amount of dope what wattage ect. (Weber is a nice company)

Vintage speakers, for the most part, are not very efficient, IMO Sica/Jensen RI's capture this better than any other speaker company that tries to clone Chicago Jensens.

I have a pair of P12Qs in a 74 non-master volume Pro Reverb and because they are so inefficient and have an early break-up, they allow me to push the amp into its sweet spot at a lower volume than what other speakers would allow. Same goes for my 75 Twin and RI C12Ns.. they are very inefficient (just like the originals) and break up pretty early. I've had the same C12Ns in my Twin for 15yrs and they have mellowed and softened with age beautifully. Over the years I've tried a lot of speakers in my Twin.. and those RI C12N are still in there.

Again IMHO, if you are not happy with Jensen RIs when you push the amp with a dirt pedal and the speaker sounds harsh on the top end, I'd say go British, they handle dirt a lot better than American style speakers (including Webers)

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have a Cannabis Rex in my Hot Rod Deluxe, I recommend it highly.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

modwiz wrote:
I have jeard of John Mayer and know he is a guitar player with a following. I have never heard a note from him.
That is entirely your loss and one which I suggest you rectify.
I will admit JM is a very strange cat indeed in his personal life but there is no denying his mastery of the craft.

I recommend a Blu-ray entitled:
Where The Light Is
John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
in which he showcases his work in 3 distinct sets comprising of an acoustic solo set, a blues trio set and a full band set.
Just buy it sight unseen
You won't be sorry.

"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."
- E. Sitwell

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:10 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Got my 1999 Blues Junior used from a friend. He too bought it used from a guy that had put a Greenback in it. With it came the original Speaker in the Greenback box. Neither my friend nor I felt the need to put the original Speaker back in it, because the Greenback sounds amazing. That would be my suggestion.

Those that have Creamback's say they like them more than the Greenback, but I can't vouche for that, have no experience with them myself.

12' Standard Strat
13' CD-60
15' Standard Strat
15' T-Bucket 300CE Amber
15' Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
17' Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

For clean tones with little breakup, a JBL D120 can't be beat. Pricey, though at @$200

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

BMW-KTM wrote:
modwiz wrote:
I have jeard of John Mayer and know he is a guitar player with a following. I have never heard a note from him.
That is entirely your loss and one which I suggest you rectify.
I will admit JM is a very strange cat indeed in his personal life but there is no denying his mastery of the craft.

+1 Just check out his cover of "Axis Bold as Love". If the guy never plays another note, he still has my respect forever. I won't derail this thread with a link to the video but check it out some time.

Go to page 1, 2  Next