It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bassbreaker 45 Distorted
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:57 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

I recently acquired the above-mentioned amp. Up until this week, I haven't had much time to play with it. Unfortunately, when I use it with clean settings, I can hear a distorted underlying sound. It's almost like a second signal that comes through. It's even noticeable when dialing in an overdriven tone.

Has anyone else come across this issue before? Any insight/suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Fender Play November 2018
Post subject: Re: Bassbreaker 45 Distorted
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Did you buy it new ? I bring back to the store on warranty !

If you are sure ;
1- Guitar is in perfect order and well set up by a pro.
2- You try guitar alone in the amp, no effect pedals.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey, thanks for the response.

No, sadly, it was purchased used -- but like new. (Purchased on reverb) It arrived in original packaging with labels and no signs of use. It definitely didn't have the issue the first couple of times I played it.

It's definitely not the guitar or cables. I've tried 6 different guitars with the same result and 4 different cables, all direct.

I'm wondering if it might be a tube problem. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay to have it checked by a professional. Unfortunately, there's a $60 eval cost for the local fender authorized repair location, since I doubt I'll be able to use the warranty. It's a shame considering the amp is basically brand new.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:40 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

DRayIII wrote:
Unfortunately, there's a $60 eval cost for the local fender authorized repair location, since I doubt I'll be able to use the warranty. It's a shame considering the amp is basically brand new.

You should've insisted that the seller provide you with the original sales receipt -- those amps are warrantied for five years, provided you can prove the original date on which it was sold.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:23 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hmm... That's a good point. Maybe I can still get that. *fingers crossed*

Still kind of ridiculous that's a thing for an amp that just released last January, so it's impossible for it to be outside of the 5-year warranty timeframe.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The warranty is transferable but you *must* provide proof of legitimate ownership.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:53 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am pretty much in the exact same spot: bought a used Bassbreaker 45 in perfect condition, sounded great before I bought it, but once I brought it home there was an odd distorted tone even on top of the clean tone. I'm thinking/hoping it's just a tube issue and having it looked at today or tomorrow. Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:23 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Tubes are first thing to check ;

Bassbreaker 45 tubes ;
Two EL34 power tubes spice up the traditional Bassman recipe of three 12AX7 preamp tubes.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ideally, tubes should be changed every year.

If you cannot remember the last time you got new tubes, you need to get new tubes. If ever you buy a used amp, replacing the tubes should be one of the first things you do.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:05 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Lindale FF wrote:

If you cannot remember the last time you got new tubes, you need to get new tubes. If ever you buy a used amp, replacing the tubes should be one of the first things you do.

We can't say that.
Yes if you gigs all weekend a high volume

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Lindale FF wrote:

Utter horseshit!

I've got tubes that were made back when JFK was proclaiming "Ich bin ein Berliner" installed in Fender amps built when LBJ promised not to send American boys halfway around the world to do the job that Vietnamese boys ought to be doing for themselves and those amps sound just as good as the day they were new, thankyewvurrymuch!

Quality bottles = quality service.

It's as simple as that.

Arjay

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:22 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
The warranty is transferable but you *must* provide proof of legitimate ownership.

you know, Sony tried to give me that line about a Sony Playstation I was trying to RMA. I argued it and won. Either they stand by their product or they don't. I get the thing about date of purchase but not proof of ownership.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:36 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I don't change a tube unless there is something wrong with the tube.
According to everything I've been taught, consumer grade tubes should last about 10,000 hours.
Military spec tubes should bump that to as much as 100,000 hours.
To put that in perspective let's say you have (3) two-hour rehearsals per week and (2) four-hour gigs per month.
That would be about 32 hours a month or 384 hours a year.
In that situation, if you're not abusive with your amp, it would not be unreasonable to expect consumer grade tubes to last 26 years.
I've been playing guitar for 50 years and that figure of 26 years seems perfectly reasonable and may even be a little conservative.

A good friend of mine has a Fender Champ 25 which he bought brand new in 1992.
It has now been 26 years and his amp, which was his main gigging amp until he bought a small Boogie a few months ago, is working just fine with the original tubes, both pre and power.
He's never done a thing to it.

I had a 1972 SFVR in which I was the 2nd owner.
The guy who bought it new never once changed a tube.
I got it with the original tubes.
I changed the rectifier tube and re-biased in order to get a little bit more clean headroom but the rectifier was not faulty.
I think the tube was a 5U4 and I put in a 5AR4 or possibly something else.
I sold the amp in 2010, still with the factory tubes along with the spare rectifier which I gave the guy who bought it.
That's 38 years and the amp was still working flawlessly.

Changing tubes yearly is a colossal waste of money.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:09 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

DRayIII and fidelio237, have you guys checked the bias? I had an amp once that had a weird over tone under the note, I set the bias to the proper setting and all was good.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:48 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

DRayIII wrote:
Hi,

I recently acquired the above-mentioned amp. Up until this week, I haven't had much time to play with it. Unfortunately, when I use it with clean settings, I can hear a distorted underlying sound. It's almost like a second signal that comes through. It's even noticeable when dialing in an overdriven tone.

Has anyone else come across this issue before? Any insight/suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

When I hear oddball overtones from an amp --- I think main filter caps or speaker VC issues. How old is the amp?

You have another known-good cab, that you can play through. To rule-out speaker issues?