It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Finding Schematic For My Fender Showman Reverb Amp TFL5000D
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hi,

Long story short: I bought this amp in 1975 and from my research the nearest I can tell it was manufactured around 1968.

I last played in 1983 and since then the amp has been covered and stored in my garage. I have only got it out a time or two since then and it worked fine.

Got it out a few days ago to start teaching my grand daughter how to play and of course, the amp does not come on. I get power and all the tubes seem to have power. I only get a pop in the speakers when I switch the standby switch.

I am taking the amp to a repair guy tomorrow and I wanted to take him a schematic but I can't determine which is the correct schematic from my searches on the web.

I found the following schematics on the web:

- Showman-Amp AA763 Schematic
- Showman-Amp AB763 Schematic
- Showman-Amp AA568 Schematic

I can attach the .pdf files for those schematics if needed.

Can anyone help me find the correct schematic for this amp ?

I attached pictures in an attempt to help identify which schematic is correct. I can pull the "guts" out and take more pictures if necessary.

Since I am electronically challenged :roll: - Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30

Fender Play Holiday 2017
Post subject: Re: Finding Schematic For My Fender Showman Reverb Amp TFL50
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:25 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

This might help...

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-showman-dual-reverb/

I'm sure Arjay will be able to tell you more...

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:42 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

cedarblues,

Thanks for the response.

The link provided goes to a page talking about the "Dual Showman Reverb Amp". Mine is the "Showman Reverb Amp". To my limited knowledge only difference is the Showman came with one speaker in the cabinet and the Dual Showman came with two speakers. The Dual Showman and Showman Amps may very well have the same circuits, etc. I don't know.

If it helps any further, the transformers in my amp are marked (from left to right)

F02Z75o ("o" or "b")
CSA Tested

-606-8-11

FENDER

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:54 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

If it's all original, based on that last # it's a '69.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

O.K.

That's good to know. :)

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

There are no AB763 Dual Showman Reverb Amps, nor any "Showman Reverb Amps". Not now, not in the past, not ever. Based on the amp's cosmetics (strongly suggestive of the 1969 model year) and the EIA codes on two of the trannies, you have an AA769 circuit which remained extant until February of 1970 when it was superceded by the AA270 revision. The 022889 output tranny may be a replacement.

Since you are "electronically challenged" I strongly urge you to take this amp to a seasoned professional and have him perform a full bench check in order to arrive at a proper diagnosis and determine the appropriate maintenance and servicing protocols.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:28 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Arjay,

Thanks for your response.

"electronically challenged" :) I have used a soldering gun before and set up stereo systems and installed stereos in cars. :lol:

Not challenging your knowledge, but I found a schematic for a "Showman-Amp AB763" on this website:
http://www.amprepairparts.com/fenderschem.htm

I am taking the amp to what I hope is a seasoned professional to get it repaired. The person was referred by my local guitar shop. I just wanted to take him a schematic of my amp if possible to save him time and trouble to try and find one.

I found both the AA769 and AA270 schematics on the above website, which are referred to as "Dual Showman Reverb-Amp".

I will take the schematics with me to the repair guy and hopefully will be able to determine if he knows what he is doing before I leave it for repair.

I will post on the outcome.

Thanks again.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

This is a Showman Amp AB763......

Note that there is no reverb included -- just as with the schematic you referenced. Your amp is more akin to a Twin Reverb, with middle control pots in the tone stacks of both channels and the built-in reverb effect. If you examine that AB763 schematic you'll find neither of those details present on it.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Arjay,

You are corrrect, of course.

I never knew that Fender made a Showman without reverb. I was just looking for Fender Showman schematics and downloaded all that I could find.

Looking at page 2 of the AB763 schematic I see that there is no Reverb.

My Amp does have a "middle" control pot on each channel plus a "reverb" knob on the vibrato channel.

My schematics for the AA769 and AA270 circuits are only one page each. All the other schematics I found had two pages (which show all the labeled pots).

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and the nice photo of the Showman. I've been out of the guitar and amplifier world for almost 30 years, so my memory is foggy.

Jerry

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:19 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

That amp looks pretty good, except the chassis around the 6L6GCs. Looks a little burnt. Maybe want to ask previous owner about that.

Good luck with new acquistion!

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

BMW2002Ti wrote:
That amp looks pretty good, except the chassis around the 6L6GCs. Looks a little burnt. Maybe want to ask previous owner about that.

Good luck with new acquistion!

Hi BMW2002Ti,

The amp is not a new acquisition. I bought it in 1975 in a music store (don't remember name) in North Dakota. I just haven't used it since 1983. :roll:

Jerry

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If you can pull the chassis, some gut shots of the innards may help us pin down the circuit revision and also narrow down when the amp was built.

Arjay

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mebee have that amp looked at by a good tech, prior to gigging. Just for future sanity sake.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
If you can pull the chassis, some gut shots of the innards may help us pin down the circuit revision and also narrow down when the amp was built.

Arjay

Arjay,

Wouldn't you know it. I was about to do that tonight but the battery died on my camera. It is on the charger now.

However, I do have an old Olympus that takes double A batteries. I pull the chassis now and send the photos as soon as I get it done.

Also, I found a AA769 (2 page) schematic for a "Twin-Reverb" and the first page looks the same as the one for the AA769 "Dual Showman Reverb". Second page show all the control pots, with Reverb.

Jerry

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:58 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

BMW2002Ti wrote:
Mebee have that amp looked at by a good tech, prior to gigging. Just for future sanity sake.

You bet I will (taking it in tomorrow). That's why I was posting. The amp does not function right now. Has power to all the tubes (they light up) and the power on red lamp works. Only get a pop in the speakers when I use the standby switch.

Doubt if I will be gigging any time soon. :roll: I haven't played since 1983. :)

Jerry

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next