It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: PT for 5E3?
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:37 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all.

I have a PT that came out of an organ, Part No. A0_22111 4 that I'd like to use in a 5E3 build but need a check on the voltages.

This is what I found when testing it with no load on the bench
Red-Red = 673 v
Red-Yel CT = 336 v
Yel - Yel = 5.8 v
Brn-Brn = 6.8
Brn - Grn CT = 3.4.

Does this look acceptable? I was advised elsewhere that the PV is going to be too high for my needs but I'm not ready to toss it without another check. I haven't found the specs for this exact part No. but it came from a Hammond AO-29 chassis.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: PT for 5E3?
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The loaded voltages will be lower. I think you will be alright.
Most of the Hammonds used 6V6 for outputs. The pics of the A0-29 chassis looks like it has 6V6s in it.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

TimsAudio wrote:
The loaded voltages will be lower. I think you will be alright.
Most of the Hammonds used 6V6 for outputs. The pics of the A0-29 chassis looks like it has 6V6s in it.

Thanks. I couldn't find solid specs on the trans but it should provide a ton of current with the tubes it was driving: 1, 5U4,,1-6B6,,2- 6V6,,2-12AU7,,1-12AX7,,2-6C4,,2-6AU6.

I wouldn't be opposed to a 5E3 with 6L6's either.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The available voltage taps seem to be a bit "overkill" for a 5E3 but with a correctly-designed voltage dividing network it should work fine.

The 673-volt tap would be more than adequate to drive a pair of 6L6GC's or 5881's should you so choose.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
The available voltage taps seem to be a bit "overkill" for a 5E3 but with a correctly-designed voltage dividing network it should work fine.

The 673-volt tap would be more than adequate to drive a pair of 6L6GC's or 5881's should you so choose.

Arjay

Thank you Arjay. I also have a PT pulled from a 50's Motorola record player that ran 6V6's. Data sheet says 600VCT (tested 612VCT with 121VAC on primary) at 93ma and 2A on the heaters. It looks a tad small for that rating but apparently packs a punch for it's size. I suppose I could use that.

My reasoning for picking the overkill behemoth PT was so I could use 6L6's if I wanted but it isn't necessary, and to eliminate or reduce sag for a tighter bottom end but that last part is mostly my own SWAG.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If you really wanted to eliminate or reduce P/S sag you could always replace the tube rectifier with a Weber Copper Cap. But sag is part and parcel of the traditional 5E3 tone so you'd be making a trade-off. More food for thought.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Retro.

I've been delayed a couple of weeks so no progress yet, and I have just one day off before leaving again for another week so hopefully I'll get to break ground when I get back.

I like the 5E3 the way it is. If I could put anything on a wish list it would be to have more of a blackface clean at low volume. That's not a must-have and I can mess with the tone stack if it bugs me enough, but I doubt it will. I don't want to mess around and lose that snarl.

I have another PT with 310VAC @ 93ma (IIRC) that also ran a pair of 6V6's. It's also a pull from a 50's (Motorola) console player. Can you tell me what tonal effect if any I would notice using the 310v over the 336v? Seems I read lower voltage makes the amp more touch sensitive when played, or maybe it was higher voltage. I'm not sure and I can't find that thread again.

Many thanks.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I think you're correct about the lower B+ providing more touch sensitivity but as far as getting a clean blackface tone (at any volume) it ain't gonna happen due to the 5E3's tone control configuration and its location within the signal chain. You might have to build two amps to fulfill those parameters.

Arjay

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
I think you're correct about the lower B+ providing more touch sensitivity but as far as getting a clean blackface tone (at any volume) it ain't gonna happen due to the 5E3's tone control configuration and its location within the signal chain. You might have to build two amps to fulfill those parameters.

Arjay

Thanks Arjay!

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:51 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I agree with Arjay and Tim, I wouldn't put too stiff power supply into that amp. You are going to lose its tweed magic. The original PT is okay, right?

I suppose you could keep the 5Y3GT in the amp. That would keep most of the sag and drop the B+, even with the bigger PT. I think?!?

:?:

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

BMW2002Ti wrote:
I suppose you could keep the 5Y3GT in the amp. That would keep most of the sag and drop the B+, even with the bigger PT. I think?!?

+1

The 5Y3GT should be sturdy enough to support a B+ of +/- 325 VDC.

Arjay