It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Isolation Transformer grounding.
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

So I'm rummaging through auction leftovers this morning. First score was a box full of CDs. Then an isolation transformer. Everything was a buck a box, so we were grabbing and not looking much.
I got home to find the CD cases were mostly empty, but did score a few good ones. JJ Cale, Ventures, a Jimmy Fallon, and David Allan Coe. Didn't know he was so politically incorrect...
The Tranny turned out to be a Triad N-57MG 500VA isolation transformer. It just needed cord work and I noticed the soldering had broken loose from the lead to the secondary. Easy Fix.
But then I saw the ground lug on the output had been disconnected too.
I haven't used an isolation tranny on the bench before, only a variac, which is definitely not isolated.
Would it make sense to leave it disconnected for bench use? Mostly I see using it for switching power supply troubleshooting so I don't fry my scope.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Isolation Transformer grounding.
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Nice score on those JJ Cale CDs. I've been scrounging around looking for used LPs.

I think it's okay not to ground the isolation transformer. Prolly there, in case the windings somehow contact the transformer's chassis. I have several Topaz Ultra-Isolation transformers. Only a couple have chassis ground wired to the green line.