It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post subject: Re: Fender Twin Reverb 1975 ( hum)
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:41 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Think when you all our are talking stock and comparing a Silverface to the classic Blackface. Yes point is made/spot on.

But one buys a Silverface and takes it to someone as knowledgable as yourselves.. After you re-condition it/BF it, then someone puts their choice tubes and speakers in what do you have?

IMO a pretty darn hand made amp at a 3rd of the cost of some of these Boutique brands.

Then.... there are some what I call "Meh?" about Silverfaces. Master volumes for one...

Vol: 8.5 Treb:3.5 Mids 8 Bass 3.5 MV:3 (My BF'ed 75 Live/ Gig volume Twin Reverb setting)

One just can't get that tone and punch from a Blackface without playing it really loud. I had a 67 and about the only time I could open it up was at outdoor festivals. That MV makes it almost as if I don't have to play with a compressor ( I play a lot of chicken picking type Country )

Fender Play February 2019
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Yes, I agree. A good silverface era Fender amp, correctly restored, maybe better in the long run --- than some low cost brand new amps.

Good thing there are a lot of folks liking the vintage stuff. As parts and ppl who know how to repair these old things are still around.

:)

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

BMW2002Ti wrote:
Yes, I agree. A good silverface era Fender amp, correctly restored, maybe better in the long run --- than some low cost brand new amps.

+1

Even during the darkest days of the CBS/FMI regime, every one of those amps was more dependable and more reliable than anything built today by FMIC. But thanks to hype and old wives' tales which tag them as sonic slugs, there are still bargains to be had among the numerous silverface models. And those amps of the less-desirable model years can often be back-dated to earlier (better sounding) circuit configurations with only minimal effort.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

You know, I kinda like the looks for my silverface Fenders. Esp those drip-edge models.

:mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:53 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

pcalugaru wrote:
But one buys a Silverface and takes it to someone as knowledgable as yourselves.. After you re-condition it/BF it, then someone puts their choice tubes and speakers in what do you have?

in my case? The best sounding amp I've ever played through. Silverface '69 Super Reverb. I like the look too, no desire to change the faceplate.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The drip-edge silverface cosmetics are one of two of the most enduring pleasantries of the CBS era, the other being the tuxedo fretboards developed for the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Jazz Bass. Nothing brightens up a stage like a backline of silverface Fender amps under klieg lights.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:43 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yep! I sure like my drip-edge '68 Showman and '69 Super Reverb.

Jerry

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello its me again, so i been testing the amp and its working great, but i found somerhing and it just happens when you turn the volume up, its doing this power tube oscillation motion and sound and when you check the power tubes the blue glow goes alternating perfectly in pairs (as im showing in this short video) does anyone knows where should i look at?
Also i been looking for schems or layouts showing the cap i spoke about that was from center leg master volume to ext swtch jack, and i have found nothing, the cap is a black panther .0012uf 600v, does anyone knows anything about it? If so how would be correctly installed? And also if this should be the problem?
Thanks again mates.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The cap is probably a mod for a line out or a slave input. Putting it back to stock is the best course.
Look closely at that master volume pot. There should be a fourth lug on it for the bright circuit. Its a tap lug that is connected at about 1 third volume. This is to peak the bright cap at that volume, then to taper its effect at higher volumes.
There should be a 120pf cap connected to the lug and to the right lug on the pot. It might read .00012uf . Some find this value too bright. You can play around with the value to your liking. Smaller for less effect.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:27 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I changed the phase inverter tube, and its gone, maybe that was the deal

Go to page Previous  1, 2