It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Need Advice On Which Type of Fender Bass To Get
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:29 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everyone,,
I am looking to purchase a bass guitar, but am having problems trying to decide which type to get.

A little bit of background for myself, I am a guitar player who has been playing for around a year now. In my opinion, I don't feel like the guitar is the instrument that is calling to me. About a week ago I went to my local guitar shop to buy some guitar strings with some friends and noticed that they also carried some bass guitars. I decided to give one of them a try which happened to be Fender Jazz bass(idk what year it was) and played around with it a little attempting some of the few bass lines I knew. While playing it I could tell that I was feeling the music a lot more than when I would play my electric guitar. After that experience, I guess you could say I was inspired to look more into bass guitars.

Since then I have done some mild research what kind of basses there are and what they usually run for in price. I have my mind set on choosing a Fender bass guitar, but cannot decide which type to get. Originally I was pretty set on getting a Jazz bass, but more recently discovered the Mustang and Jaguar basses by Fender which caught my eye since they seem to be reverse image search email checker port checker a mix of the precision and jazz basses due to the pickups. Any advice at all would help out since I am new to the whole bass community. Thanks :)

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Need Advice On Which Type of Fender Bass To Get
Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I guess it's going to depend a lot on what style of music you play predominantly.

The P bass has split coil pickups and the Jazz has single coils, which give it a little bit more mid range (good for funk, reggae etc.)

The Jazz has the ability to blend between the two pickups which perhaps make it a bit more flexible in terms of tone.

I have a Mexican P-Bass, which I use for studio recording all the time, mainly for rock stuff.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Regarding choice, the best advice you're gonna get (from anyone) is to go and play as many different types and brands as you can. Only then can you get a feel for what suits you best.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:07 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
Retroverbial wrote:
Regarding choice, the best advice you're gonna get (from anyone) is to go and play as many different types and brands as you can. Only then can you get a feel for what suits you best.

Arjay

That's great advice to listen too. Image