It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1957(?) Musicmaster Bass.
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:15 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've had a Musicmaster Bass for a number of years. A while back I was recording it for insurance purposes and noticed that it had a rather odd serial number consisting of only 5 digits - #10472. I called a local dealer who is recognized nationally for his knowledge of vintage 6-string guitars, and asked him about it. He told me that that a Fender instrument with that serial number would have been made in 1957. I have done a bit of online research regarding Musicmaster basses and I have never found anything that mentions them being manufactured that early. Musicmaster 6-strings were being made in 1957 but most sources I've seen say that the bass models were first made in 1971.

Any Musicmaster Bass experts out there? I'm beginning to think that someone from Fender would be the only one who could tell me when this bass was actually made.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: 1957(?) Musicmaster Bass.
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Some pics to illustrate. Not sure if these links will work but here goes.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1 ... kx-0MorqrN

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1 ... PfJNA-EQ6M

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1 ... TNeQYI7BnY

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

If there are any other people out there with Musicmaster basses I'd be curious what sort of serial numbers they have, and whether 5 digit numbers are typical.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I know just about zilch about MM basses, so I'll take no stand on the authenticity of your bass. But some comments:
Your pics don't show - the link requires a sign-in to google.
Nothing I know of supports that a MM bass from the fifties would exist.
MM basses have been made in different places (e.g. Japan), and neckplates with any serial number imaginable are sold everywhere - so the risk of a modified lookalike does exist.

But have you checked the insides? Any markings in the neck pocket/heel, routings? And can the pots be recognized, and dated by their number stamps?

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Sorry the pics didn't work but they aren't really critical to the discussion anyway so no biggie. I have had the pickguard off in the past but at that time I wasn't trying to confirm the date it was made so I didn't check the pots. I do remember that there was a name stamped on the back of the pickguard, I guess it was the name of the person who assembled it or inspected it. Don't recall the name but I do remember that it was Hispanic which would indicate that it probably wasn't made in Japan, more likely SoCal.

My hands and my eyesight aren't what they used to be so I hate taking small stuff apart but looks like I'll need to take off the pickguard or, most likely, the neck because I recently read that Fender usually stamps the date on the heel of the neck.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

F4U wrote:
Sorry the pics didn't work but they aren't really critical to the discussion anyway so no biggie.

Wha? Do you really think the forum experts chime in without pics? :lol:

Quote:
First you need to upload your pics to the internet. Use a pic hosting site (imgur, imgbb or such - avoid photobucket) or some common web framework like e.g. facebook, googlephotos - whatever you're familiar with.
The important thing is that the web site provides you with a pic address - that's the one starting with 'http' or 'https' and ending in '.jpg' .

Copy the pic address (https...jpg), and use the IMG-command (visible when you write a message) on the forum.

Preview your post so everything is OK.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:29 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Quote:
Wha? Do you really think the forum experts chime in without pics?

I don't think F4U is asking you or anyone else to appraise it. Appears to me that there were 2 issues raised here:

1) Were Musicmaster basses made in 1957?

and/or

2) Did any Musicmaster basses made in the 70s have serial numbers with only 5 digits?

If you need pictures to answer those questions then you're probably not an "expert". Maybe someone from Fender will chime in with the answers.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:11 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

kbean wrote:
I don't think F4U is asking you or anyone else to appraise it. Appears to me that there were 2 issues raised here:

1) Were Musicmaster basses made in 1957?

and/or

2) Did any Musicmaster basses made in the 70s have serial numbers with only 5 digits?

If you need pictures to answer those questions then you're probably not an "expert". Maybe someone from Fender will chime in with the answers.

Hmm. Try and read my first answer, both those questions are covered in there, between the lines at least.

And it's obvious I was not referring to myself as an expert. If you'd read my previous post, it starts with "I know just about zilch about MM basses".

Anyways, an ID without pics (fake/legit, original/modded, model, age, whatever) is seldom relevant or reliable. A serial number alone is very little; it needs to be compared to the instrument.

If you'd been around for a bit longer than those 48 messages, you might know that getting an answer from someone @Fender via the forum is in the unicorn rarity level.

And maybe next time, give an answer instead of trying to snap at others who try to help.

Piece, love, understanding and trust in evolution.