It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Post subject: Re: Which one are you playing today?
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's good that you have an amp that you don't have to do major adjustments with, between the two basses to sound good. As you know from my past posts with the Orange, I've had a sort of love/hate relationship with it, but that was mainly with it working with the violin bass, and I did have that issue with the cabs, but that was settled (although, I have to admit I was seriously bummed out by the 18" speaker not working out, since I did like the idea behind that one,) and I still have to see how the Ibanez is going to preform through it.

I do like the Orange's power and portability, but for some damned reason, the EQ voicing was bugging me (at least with the violin bass.) I could just blame that on the bass, but it does sound really good through the Fender amp, which does have some extra EQ options to it, albeit just a couple shape buttons, and a midrange sweep. It's just enough to work, though.

I did try to sell it, but I had no luck, and even if I did, what would I replace it with that's comparable, but has the extra options I'd need? I don't want to have to go through this crap again with another amp, and wind up getting screwed with a bad decision, which I have done too many times with bass guitars. :roll: You usually wind up losing money when you do that.

Fender Play December 2018
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds".......
Some cabs, and heads can be limited in usage. 18" Speakers, like I said, are almost somewhat too specialized, and almost limited to high power, high volume, large venues. And your Orange, is what it is, a powerful head for more live performing, without much EQ settings.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I remember you saying about that. That 18" was probably meant for a subwoofer as part of a PA system, which would have served it's purpose. It was too much for what I needed it for. At least with the 10"s, I have more coverage for different applications. I mean I can do both low and high volume, and get a strong tone with both. Even though I'm problematic with my amp, I'm at least pretty square with my cab.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The 18 seemed to have served a bit of a more practical usage in the Acoustic 360/361 in the 60's, usually without running through a PA.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, that's true. The PA typically was for the vocals, wasn't it? You had to have those huge stacks for the guitars, didn't you?

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, that's true. The PA typically was for the vocals, wasn't it? You had to have those huge stacks for the guitars, didn't you?

Yeah, that was about it. Daisy chaining each one for more volume.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:55 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

They even made slave amps for that particular purpose. I've seen Orange and Marshall models. Basically, some sort of power amp, isn't it? I don't think they had any sort of EQ on them or anything like that.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
They even made slave amps for that particular purpose. I've seen Orange and Marshall models. Basically, some sort of power amp, isn't it? I don't think they had any sort of EQ on them or anything like that.

A good number of heads just basically had volume, bass, and treble to start with. There weren't low, bass, mids, or high trebles. On most of those heads, you were fortunate to have either a three prong plug, or a polarity switch.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, it was pretty basic stuff. The Orange is like that, other than you have an effects loop, and DI output. Although, some of those old amps had line outs, too. I've seen some with slave outs, as well. I suppose there isn't a lot of difference between the two, is there?

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

No, not really. It's funny when the Acoustic 360/361 seemed to be more advanced than most amps were from that era.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:41 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's true. It did seem to offer a lot of options. I wonder why they made the head part actually just a preamp, and the cab was powered? I imagine that certainly increased the weight for the cab.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
That's true. It did seem to offer a lot of options. I wonder why they made the head part actually just a preamp, and the cab was powered? I imagine that certainly increased the weight for the cab.

I don't think they really cared about weight back then. It was acceptable for amps to weigh what they did. Power, and tone were the most important results for an amp. Those Acoustics filled both of those criteria hands down.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:42 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well, the technology wasn't around yet for lighter weight materials, but that stuff was built to last, and you could fix it. It wasn't disposable technology like it is now, which is also not great because it all lands up in landfills and generally bad for the environment.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:59 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Well, the technology wasn't around yet for lighter weight materials, but that stuff was built to last, and you could fix it. It wasn't disposable technology like it is now, which is also not great because it all lands up in landfills and generally bad for the environment.

All of what you just said is so true. It's like these damn new light bulbs even. Supposedly they aren't intended to just throw away like the older style light bulbs were.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You mean the LED bulbs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next