It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I can see if you like a particular brand enough, you'd go with something else they make, as well. I was really into using Rotosounds for a long time, but then AMS quit selling them, and they seem to be a little harder to find (although, I do believe Guitar Center still carries them) because another place I got them from stopped, as well, so I went ahead and tried the Dunlop flats for my Ibanez bass, which AMS still carries, but now they want $49.99 a set for medium scale (like the violin bass,) or $44.99 for the short scale (my Ibanez,) which makes them even more expensive than La Bella's. It's not like I change strings that often, but I think that's a bit too high for those, considering the other options for less, which are just as good, if not better. I've never tried any La Bella strings, though.

I think the next time I even get strings, it will be for the Peavey bass to get flats on there, and I might just go with the Ernie Ball Slinky flats, which AMS has for $34.99, which isn't a bad price, and I'm curious to try them, anyway. They want $39.99 for D' Addario Chromes flats, at least the long scale, but $36.99 for their short scale, and $37.99 for the medium scale on that site. Of course, there are a ton of other options and brand choices, but I'd have to shop elsewhere, and I do like doing business with AMS. So it's a matter of getting what they carry and sticking with them, as far as strings go, or go for something else, and have to shop elsewhere. I know Guitar Center carries a lot of stuff, including the Rotosounds I used to use, but I really don't like to shop there, unless I absolutely have no other choice, which really hasn't been the case in years.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm not crazy about GC either, but the local GC did have the EB-0 that is working out great, and they just about always have in stock the D'Addario Nylons at, or about a decent market price, online that is. I did like being able to see the EB-0 on hand before purchasing it.

SA locally, had my Rumble 100 still in the sealed carton that was pristine. I can get D'Addario long scales in stock at the same local SA store.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I suppose Guitar Center is good for some things like that, and if you're shopping for any used gear, they do have that option, as well. I suppose if they are also the only shop in town, it's probably better than nothing, if you need to go somewhere in person. There isn't one near me to matter either way. It's in Warwick, over the toll bridge, which costs $4 each way, and at least a 30 minute drive or so to get there. It's something that would have to be a special reason to go to, if we absolutely needed to. This is why we use AMS so much. Great customer service, and very fast shipping, without dealing with any other BS. Plus, they also have payment plans for bigger purchases, if needed. The one place we do miss going to is Sam Ash, but that's in New York. It's been many years since we've been to one of them, though. It's too bad there isn't one in this state, but there isn't.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If and when I do go to Alabama, with a Banjo on my knee, I don't think there's a SA, or GC in the vicinity of Tuscaloosa. Local small scale stores, yes.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well, if you find yourself hearing banjos dueling in a swamp somewhere, make sure you're seriously packing. Better yet, probably should stay out of swamps in the first place. :P

I'm sure they probably have something around.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:05 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Well, if you find yourself hearing banjos dueling in a swamp somewhere, make sure you're seriously packing. Better yet, probably should stay out of swamps in the first place. :P

I'm sure they probably have something around.

There's a solution for that. Don't ever get out of the boat. Image

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, even if all you want is a friggin' mango. :P By the way, I watched the "Redux" version of that Wednesday night, which I've never seen before. They added all of the stuff that they took out of the original film, like when they stopped by a French plantation and buried "Mr. Clean" after he was killed during that ambush on the river, and some other scenes. Have you ever seen this version?

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah,... I have the special combination set of both the "Redux" version, and the regular version. When I saw the first run theatre version at its release, as the ending credits played, they showed the boat leaving the compound, and then "Almighty" sent in the air strike to annihilate them all. It basically showed the the jungle being destroyed by napalm, and FAM bombs. Great guitar work playing through that.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:22 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I thought that's what happened in the original version. It's been a long time since I've seen that. I know the Redux version, they just leave and don't show anything happening, so you don't know if he called in an airstrike or not.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If I remember right, as PBR Street Gang is reversing away, you hear the Almighty calling to PBR Street Gang. Then everything was destroyed. In the beginning of the movie in a couple of scenes, you see jungle being hit. I think that was the ending preluded.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:41 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You mean when they are going between him in the hotel room and the jungle on fire, along with the chopper flying around? I think the chopper was the one that was suppose come pick him up, so maybe there's three things going on there, unless they had to fly through that crap. I'm assuming that they wouldn't use choppers to bomb that place at the end, would they?

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:00 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
You mean when they are going between him in the hotel room and the jungle on fire, along with the chopper flying around? I think the chopper was the one that was suppose come pick him up, so maybe there's three things going on there, unless they had to fly through that crap. I'm assuming that they wouldn't use choppers to bomb that place at the end, would they?

There was another time they quickly showed the jungle flames scenario toward the beginning also, I think. For the destruction of the entire camp, and the peripherals to the camp, possible a B52 saturation bombing may have been used. A FAM or two, maybe three would have damn near wiped the place off the surface of the planet, just short of a nuclear device.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, they certainly had the hardware to do that, I'm sure.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, they certainly had the hardware to do that, I'm sure.

Interesting how Col. Kurtz new it was the right thing to do in the end. Annihilate them all.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It's kind of screwed up they wanted to take him out in the first place, considering the enemy was afraid of them. I guess he was too effective with his mission. Politics, I suppose. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next