It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: quality control issue
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey all. Just unboxed my beautiful American Ultra 5 string Jazz Bass, plugged it in only to discover a completely dead bridge pickup. What a let down! I just called my local warranty center and left a message for a call back to get it fixed. Hoping it's just a cold solder joint or loose wire and not a bad pickup. Also need to have it set up. There's a slight bow in the neck, the action is high, and the neck pickup is too low. Also, there's no owner's manual, just a warranty booklet with a cursory technical section in Spanish. Nothing at all about the jazz bass. I expected more from Fender's top of the line! :(

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: quality control issue
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You're first post here, welcome. That's a tough one on the QC control to have to deal with. I hope you get it all worked out.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks. I'd love to hear from Fender on this. It is such a disappointment especially on a very pricey, brand new, top of the line instrument being touted as Fender's best ever, for serious musicians. Panned fully to the bridge pickup yields complete silence, regardless of active or passive switch position. Hope to get it resolved quickly. I might post for advice to the thousands of musicians who follow us.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I hope you have some recourse there, especially since aren't those around the two grand price range? You'd think they'd have better QC for that much. :roll:

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:03 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yep, $2200 exactly! I'm going to take a guess that a wire fell off the switch or pan pot that was not soldered. The body and final assembly is American, but I bet the wiring harness was done in Mexico. We'll see if I'm right if the Fender warranty shop ever calls me back.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:57 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Frustrating.

But shipping companies toss boxes pretty hard, and pickup wires are fragile.

And climate changes from the factory to the warehouse to the truck to the plane to another truck to your house can change the relief of a neck.

Don't frustrate yourself more waiting for the shop to call you back. Fender's service centers are independent contractors. There's quality vetting by Fender, but some shops are more customer friendly than others.

Call them back. Or if there are other service centers within a reasonable distance, call them. Or call the seller and have them contact a service center and arrange everything. Or contact Fender.

You shouldn't have to make more than one call in the first place, and I hope by now the service center has returned your call. But if not, blame them, not Fender directly.

It's like warranty service on a new car. The manufacturer pays for it, but the service depends on the shop you take it to. Some will bend over backwards to make you happy, others act like they're grudgingly doing you a favor.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:12 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks, what you say is true of course. The shipping box came completely intact - even the styrofoam end caps, with no signs of rough handling. I hope the bass is sturdy enough to withstand normal handling in the course of it's use, including temperature swings, otherwise it would be of little use to a gigging artist. The warranty guy is someone I know and trust. He did call back, and contacted Fender who told him to just send it back, and they will ship out a new one direct. That's the kind of stand up response that I respect. I just need to be patient while the basses pass each other in shipping, and the tech sets it up. I'll keep the thread posted when the new one arrives!

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:13 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's good to know you're getting help with this. 8) That sucks it had to happen in the first place, though.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well, it's going on 3 weeks, and I still have not gotten a replacement. The response to my query from the warranty tech was only "no news." I'm losing faith in Fender for not attending to this with more care and attention. It's a good thing I have a nice fretless Modulus Quantum 5 on hand to play or I'd be up the old creek without an "Ultra" paddle.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:11 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's good that you at least have a backup bass. That's a long time not to hear anything. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

OMG! I heard from the warranty tech that my replacement will not be shipped out until JANUARY 23rd!! 7 more weeks!! This ineptitude is unconscionable. What is wrong with Fender?? Does the marketing and sales department not talk to the production department? I've worked in engineering for some of the biggest names in pro audio for decades, and lag times like this on a new product launch spells doom for the company. Fender is obviously on the way out. This is not simply a quality control issue. Buyer beware.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:46 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm sorry to hear about this. That sucks that you're going to have to wait that long. Hopefully, it will finally get resolved after this. You know, I once had an issue with the company, sort of similar, albeit with the quality control of a Squier Bass VI, when they first came out a few years ago. After being delayed in shipping them out for a month or two, I got one with a broken neck, which was completely unplayable. Luckily, the place I ordered it from has always had good customer service, and took care of everything to where I got refunded, but Fender was pretty much like whatever, dude in the customer service department. I can certainly see why you'd be pissed off, especially since you could buy 5 of those Squiers for what your bass cost, and it seems like it's the similar QC issues that happened with both. I guess the lesson there is when they put out new stuff, it's probably best to wait a while after it's been out, no matter what the price level even is on the product. :roll:

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:09 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jameyshouseofmusic wrote:
OMG! I heard from the warranty tech that my replacement will not be shipped out until JANUARY 23rd!! 7 more weeks!! This ineptitude is unconscionable. What is wrong with Fender?? Does the marketing and sales department not talk to the production department? I've worked in engineering for some of the biggest names in pro audio for decades, and lag times like this on a new product launch spells doom for the company. Fender is obviously on the way out. This is not simply a quality control issue. Buyer beware.

Welcome to the new world order.

:evil:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY