It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bridge cover for Road Worn Jazz
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Trying to find an " F " type bridge cover for my Road Worn Jazz bass, but none seem to fit. The predrilled holes on the RW are 5" apart, while every cover I have tried, the holes are 4.75" apart. Is this a special order type of thing from Fender ?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Bridge cover for Road Worn Jazz
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You have to spread the sides of the cover slightly in order to fit the body's pre-drilled holes (perfectly normal).

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
You have to spread the sides of the cover slightly in order to fit the body's pre-drilled holes (perfectly normal).

Arjay

I tried that. 1/4" difference seems to be too much for the sides to spread. I think the pre drilled holes in the RW were done wrong. I have tried a half dozen bridge covers and they are all drilled the same distance from hole to hole. The only way I could get the holes to line up was by flattening the cover a little bit. Holes line up but now inside of cover is resting on strings. The whole idea behind this was to attach a Fender string mute on the inside of the cover, near the bridge.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:43 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It's not 1/4" -- it's 1/8" on each side. How high are your bridge saddles set?

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:33 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
It's not 1/4" -- it's 1/8" on each side. How high are your bridge saddles set?

Arjay
They don't look all that high to me, maybe the A string a little higher. Believe me, I have pushed, prodded, bended, and pulled this cover . I can get one screw in, but the other is at an angle. And the mute is squashed down way too much. Maybe I'll go to a Nordy mute, or something similar. thanks for the help.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:00 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well I've found a solution of sorts. I got out my Dremel tool with a cutting wheel, and cut out the metal from one of the holes out to the edge. I can now screw down the edges at a better angle. I placed the piece of foam mute just before the bridge, held the piece down with one hand while screwing in the screws with the other. Seems to be working so far. Although the foam mute I got just barely goes over the strings, it does have a nice muting effect; not totally dead thump, but a nice subdued tone. It seems to be staying in place, so no need to peel off the sticky tape.