It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Post subject: Epiphone EB-0
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I just acquired an Ebony Epiphone EB-3. It should be in on 10/8.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Epiphone EB-3
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sounds good. 8) I know you mentioned that it was lighter than the Jazz Bass, so hopefully this will work out for you.

Post subject: Re: Epiphone EB-0
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Sounds good. 8) I know you mentioned that it was lighter than the Jazz Bass, so hopefully this will work out for you.

It should. The EB-3's are pretty consistent at about 8.5 pounds. It's a shame the Jazz was wearing my back down like it was. I was thinking maybe I was just tired when I played, but that wasn't the case. Tomorrow should tell the tale of the tape. I tried a Cherry EB-3 in my Gator Case in SA. It was snug in the case when closing it, but I think it will be ok in it.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm assuming you're getting an ebony one, based on your sig pic. You order it from Sweetwater, or something? I remember the EB-0 being really lightweight, maybe even more than my Ibanez, and really nice neck on it. It sucks they jacked the price up on it when they did, otherwise I would have gotten one, instead of the Ibanez, which was a lot cheaper, and the money I had wouldn't cover the cost of the EB-0. It would have before the price hike, though.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:24 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I sold off a couple of things I wasn't using, or needing any longer for the EB-3. Along with the jazz trade in. I felt like an 18 year old kid opening the carton of the EB-3, like when I saw the EB-0 I bought, hanging on the wall at MAE music store in 1970.

7.8 Pounds works out a lot better than 9.9 pounds does. It really is a good looking, and playing SG style long scale. Once again, I don't why they didn't give it the proper EB model number of EB-3L. Oh well, it's ok with me. The Humbuckings are great on it, and the Nylons from the Player Jazz strung well. The A string was the only one of the four that just wound barely enough but ok. I've seen factory windings from Fender, and Gibson with less around the tuning peg.

The Rosewood is pretty nice on it. I've had higher priced basses that didn't look quite as nice as this Epi has on it. That even includes a Rickenbacker, or two that were't too swell either with the Rosewood. $400. EB-3, compared to a $2,000. 4003.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:36 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I would've gone for the EB-0 for about $270., but I really wanted to stay with a long scale, and have the Ebony finish, over the Cherry. I ordered the EB-3 through Sam Ash, sight unseen. I used the Jazz as a trade in on the EB-3. I did ok on the trade in, for being a trade in that is. I did have to bite the bullet, and get an Epi EB-3 case. The Gator case doesn't fit too well. The angled back head of the EB-3 is different than the flatter Fender, for fitting into the case.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sounds like a nice bass, then. 8) It's longer than the Jazz to fit in the case properly?

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Sounds like a nice bass, then. 8) It's longer than the Jazz to fit in the case properly?

It's a bit longer because of the neck setting into the body. 22 Frets adds a little more, but it fits in the case. The angle of the head pitches at about a 17 degree angle, I think. The case doesn't support the neck high enough so the tuning keys clear the back of the case.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The Epi EB-3 case showed up today. It fits nice, and snug as it should. It's a really nice well made case. I feel better with the EB-3 in a secure, fitting case.
I love this SG / EB body design.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I suppose that's the thing, with Epiphone, or Gibson headstocks being a different angle than your typical Fender ones.

That looks like a nice case for it. 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:25 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The Epi EB-3 cases I've had now, and in the past, are a better fit for the body than SG Std. cases. I kinda' know a little bit about cases from the road thing. I feel a lot better using the Epi case on the road, then the Gibson USA SG case. It does seem like the Epi brand is getting a bit better overall over the parent company, Gibson. This EB-3 is an excellent SG style bass.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:04 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I've noticed that the Epiphone basses do have a lot more attention going into and around them. I could be wrong, but it just seems like Gibson doesn't often even want to be arsed with bass stuff, even though they've made some really cool models over the years. I guess they'd rather just put out 50 different Les Paul models, more than anything else, and leave any bass stuff to Epiphone, for the most part.

The Jack Casady model, even though it was based on a 1972 Gibson design, was done with Epiphone, because they didn't want to mess with it. Maybe because it would be less likely to sell, because it would cost a lot more, and usually anything that expensive that's going to sell, would be a Les Paul, thus the 50 different models, or so. Hey, Jack uses them out of the box, and are not custom made for him, so they have to be doing something right there, considering he probably could have anything he wanted, and probably has.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:50 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I played the EB-3 this morning, and I like it better than a comparable Jetglo 4003. Looks, feel, sound, and playability. Damn fine Bass!

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I take it they did very good with this one, with set up and all of that. What's the neck like on that, compared to the Jazz? I've only played on the EB-0, Thunderbird, and Jack Casady models, albeit briefly, but do remember they had nice feeling necks to them.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:34 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I take it they did very good with this one, with set up and all of that. What's the neck like on that, compared to the Jazz? I've only played on the EB-0, Thunderbird, and Jack Casady models, albeit briefly, but do remember they had nice feeling necks to them.

To me, it feels like a real long scale on the fret locations to each other. I like the stretch on the fretboard of it. It is a bit longer, having 22 frets. I'm stating to appreciate the versatility of this EB-3. As much as I liked the Jetglo 4003 I had, this EB-3 is my favorite. I'm a real sap for the SG body, and have been since I first saw the Gibson SG's a long time ago. I also liked the combination of a SG 6 stringer, and an EB series bass. (Gibson & Gibson. )Somewhat like Stratocaster / Jazz or Precision. (Fender & Fender). The electronics are based on the same baseline. The same as I have believed about the matching of the same brand head to cab on amps.

This EB-3 was made in Indonesia, December of 2018. I like the way Epiphone has the bass, or 6 stringer made where ever, then shipped here for setups. There may be something to having it made in another country, and having some of the nicer Rosewood for the fretboards. The country it's made in, may be in compliance with that silly damn Cites Act for the usage, and shipping of exotic woods. Even with the neck issue the Epi Viola, it did have a nice Rosewood fretboard. It was made in China. I didn't have any documentation of a made date on it, like the EB-3
has.
I really do believe the Epiphone name is worth looking into, if a future bass, or 6 stringer is on the horizon. Gibson could do this as well, but at what cost? I do think Gibson is having Epiphone be the bass offerings, since I don't think they want to do much with basses. There could be some fine Gibson bass models reissued, except the pricing is in the Twilight Zone, and Gibson's QC is iffy at best. In a way like Hartke being around, and not used as much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next